Steve Earle "modern country stars make 'hip hop for people who are afraid of black.. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Re: Steve Earle "modern country stars make 'hip hop for people who are afraid of blac

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    Is there a safe space so I can so suck my thumb for a while and ponder the politically correct response?
    You weren't issued your manual of politically correct responses when you came in? Hmmm, sounds like they're setting you up for failure. They must not like you.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Re: Steve Earle "modern country stars make 'hip hop for people who are afraid of blac

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    You weren't issued your manual of politically correct responses when you came in? Hmmm, sounds like they're setting you up for failure. They must not like you.
    It's 92's fault. He hasn't fully indoctrinated me yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Its On A Slab View Post
    To me, modern C&W is like a really sharp fingernail on the chalkboard. I hear it at the gym and it just starts making me want to destroy the speaker so it will stop.

Like 92 said, it's pretty much: chicken truck, cold beer, mud-digging on a Saturday, Baby Jesus on Sunday, lookin' at yer tight blue jeans, gettin' drunk on a Saturday night. Chew tobacco chew tobacco chew tobacco spit.

It makes Nickelback back look entirely non-formulaic.

And the drugstore cowboy .... that it sells.

And, Bodhi, I forgot another member of my Needs-His-Ass-Kicked list: Tobey Keith. He's been on there for 10+ years running.
    Bo Burnham nails this with his take, google this as I can't post here due to language: Bo Burnham - Todays Country Songs
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Bo Burnham nails this with his take, google this as I can't post here due to language: Bo Burnham - Todays Country Songs
    LOL! I watched it. LOL! Good stuff. The same thing exist in hip-hop/rap music as well. The older rappers criticize (in the words of Snoop Dog) "these youngsters" for not only turning out what they deem crappy lyrics but singing about stuff they know nothing about. There's an interview out there (I'm sure it's on youtube) with Snoop and several other old schoolers (Ice T may have been one of them) talking about it. But this type thing is nothing new or limited to suburban white kids and "country" music.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    It's 92's fault. He hasn't fully indoctrinated me yet.
    sorry about that. after i lost most my soros money investing in betamax, my heart really wasn't in the indoctrination part any longer and i was phoning it in.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

that was hilarious.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

LOL! I watched it. LOL! Good stuff. The same thing exist in hip-hop/rap music as well. The older rappers criticize (in the words of Snoop Dog) "these youngsters" for not only turning out what they deem crappy lyrics but singing about stuff they know nothing about. There's an interview out there (I'm sure it's on youtube) with Snoop and several other old schoolers (Ice T may have been one of them) talking about it. But this type thing is nothing new or limited to suburban white kids and "country" music.
    i think that was sort of steve earle's point. it's vapid nonsense.

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    i think that was sort of steve earle's point. it's vapid nonsense.
    I guess I'm missing how his claim of it being for people who are afraid of black people ties into that point.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; December 14th, 2018 at 03:24 PM.

I guess I'm missing how his claim of it being for people who are afraid of black people ties into that point.
    it was a joke and imo a good one
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    that was hilarious.
    Burham is hysterical though his audience is mostly teenage youtube kids. Went and saw him a couple of years ago at the Old Roxy/Buckhead Theater and his show was great. Definitely was weird though being a middle aged couple there that was not bringing our kids

it was a joke and imo a good one
    The typed word. I missed the tone of the joke (though I must say it was an interesting choice of words for a joke). Maybe I need to be in the "Some of these pro athletes say some of the dumbest things". But I'm not a pro athlete and don't even play one on tv. Oh well, I'll go sit myself in the corner or something. LOL!
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; December 14th, 2018 at 04:12 PM.

BamaNation First Team Its On A Slab's Avatar

I started listening to Steve Earle back in the late 80s when I decided I wanted to give country music another chance.

His brand of country would never fit into the Nashville homogenized variety. Because it's honest, doesn't pull any punches, doesn't kiss anyone's arse, and he says things that are really unpopular amongst your garden-variety right-winger country fans.

BamaNation First Team Its On A Slab's Avatar

If it wasn't for suburban white kids, hip hop would probably not exist. They have the most expendable incomes.