Steve Earle "modern country stars make 'hip hop for people who are afraid of black..

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Steve Earle "modern country stars make 'hip hop for people who are afraid of black..

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...-stapleton-kendrick-lamar-oasis-a7791486.html

Steve Earle has criticized male country music artists and said that the "best stuff coming out of Nashville is all by women".

The legendary artist made his comments in an interview with the Guardian, where he also said Noel Gallagher was "the most overrated songwriter in the whole history of pop music".

"The best stuff coming out of Nashville is all by women except for Chris Stapleton," he said. "The guys just wanna sing about getting ***** up. They're just doing hip hop for people who are afraid of black people.

"I like the new Kendrick Lamar record, so I'll just listen to that."

The man is a national treasure

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Re: Steve Earle "modern country stars make 'hip hop for people who are afraid of blac

Dang, this would have fit great in the "Some of these Pro Athletes say some of the dumbest things" thread. But he's not a pro athlete. But to SE's credit, his comment is dumb enough to support a thread of its own.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Re: Steve Earle "modern country stars make 'hip hop for people who are afraid of blac

One of my coworkers was into Steve Earle in the Copperhead Road era. He used to listen to him at work. I developed a taste for Earle.
he's a decent actor as well. i enjoyed his roles in the wire and treme

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Dang, this would have fit great in the "Some of these Pro Athletes say some of the dumbest things" thread. But he's not a pro athlete. But to SE's credit, his comment is dumb enough to support a thread of its own.
i've thought the same thing about pop country for quite a while. all of the songs are basically "i get drunk and chase tail, then take my truck to church on sunday because i love jesus"

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

i've thought the same thing about pop country for quite a while. all of the songs are basically "i get drunk and chase tail, then take my truck to church on sunday because i love jesus"
Why would influences of hip-hop in country music be an indicator that the people who listen to it are afraid of black people?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Well, I guess I have to say it, I hate "modern" country music. It sux a.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Do you hate it because it has influences from music made by black people? Or does it mean you're not afraid of black people? Or do you need to use a lifeline and call Steve Earle to tell you what the "hate" really means?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Do you hate it because it has influences from music made by black people? Or does it mean you're not afraid of black people? Or do you need to use a lifeline and call Steve Earle to tell you what the "hate" really means?
Is there a safe space so I can so suck my thumb for a while and ponder the politically correct response?

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea

To me, modern C&W is like a really sharp fingernail on the chalkboard. I hear it at the gym and it just starts making me want to destroy the speaker so it will stop.

Like 92 said, it's pretty much: chicken truck, cold beer, mud-digging on a Saturday, Baby Jesus on Sunday, lookin' at yer tight blue jeans, gettin' drunk on a Saturday night. Chew tobacco chew tobacco chew tobacco spit.

It makes Nickelback back look entirely non-formulaic.

And the drugstore cowboy .... that it sells.

And, Bodhi, I forgot another member of my Needs-His-Ass-Kicked list: Tobey Keith. He's been on there for 10+ years running.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I'll flip my car radio station to CW every once in a while, I enjoy the lyrics and catchy melodies, but one hearing is usually enough. I'll listen long enough to hear what's popular at the time but then it's back to Tom Joyner and DH Hughley and crew to get my regular hip hop.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

I'll flip my car radio station to CW every once in a while, I enjoy the lyrics and catchy melodies, but one hearing is usually enough. I'll listen long enough to hear what's popular at the time but then it's back to Tom Joyner and DH Hughley and crew to get my regular hip hop.
I normally crank up my Van Halen, AC/DC, Metallica, Judas Priest, Ozzy and GnR myself...but I digress.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Is there a safe space so I can so suck my thumb for a while and ponder the politically correct response?
You weren't issued your manual of politically correct responses when you came in? Hmmm, sounds like they're setting you up for failure. They must not like you.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

You weren't issued your manual of politically correct responses when you came in? Hmmm, sounds like they're setting you up for failure. They must not like you.
It's 92's fault. He hasn't fully indoctrinated me yet.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

To me, modern C&W is like a really sharp fingernail on the chalkboard. I hear it at the gym and it just starts making me want to destroy the speaker so it will stop.

Like 92 said, it's pretty much: chicken truck, cold beer, mud-digging on a Saturday, Baby Jesus on Sunday, lookin' at yer tight blue jeans, gettin' drunk on a Saturday night. Chew tobacco chew tobacco chew tobacco spit.

It makes Nickelback back look entirely non-formulaic.

And the drugstore cowboy .... that it sells.

And, Bodhi, I forgot another member of my Needs-His-Ass-Kicked list: Tobey Keith. He's been on there for 10+ years running.
Bo Burnham nails this with his take, google this as I can't post here due to language: Bo Burnham - Todays Country Songs

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Bo Burnham nails this with his take, google this as I can't post here due to language: Bo Burnham - Todays Country Songs
LOL! I watched it. LOL! Good stuff. The same thing exist in hip-hop/rap music as well. The older rappers criticize (in the words of Snoop Dog) "these youngsters" for not only turning out what they deem crappy lyrics but singing about stuff they know nothing about. There's an interview out there (I'm sure it's on youtube) with Snoop and several other old schoolers (Ice T may have been one of them) talking about it. But this type thing is nothing new or limited to suburban white kids and "country" music.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

LOL! I watched it. LOL! Good stuff. The same thing exist in hip-hop/rap music as well. The older rappers criticize (in the words of Snoop Dog) "these youngsters" for not only turning out what they deem crappy lyrics but singing about stuff they know nothing about. There's an interview out there (I'm sure it's on youtube) with Snoop and several other old schoolers (Ice T may have been one of them) talking about it. But this type thing is nothing new or limited to suburban white kids and "country" music.
i think that was sort of steve earle's point. it's vapid nonsense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.