Another Story of Prosperity Christianity - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Another Story of Prosperity Christianity

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    hell, building a "church" that puts them together in large numbers isn't really that high-tech.
    Yeah, but TV, radio and social media multiply those numbers dramatically.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar

My favorite contribution to the subject matter:

Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

Quote Originally Posted by twofbyc View Post
    Yeah, but TV, radio and social media multiply those numbers dramatically.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    You beat me to it. But now that I think about it, his last name is "Gray." You go by "Gray"Tide and use a "Forrest Gump" picture to throw us off to make us think you're white and then post the link as well. I think you are the crooked mega-pastor John Gray. LOL! I'm a super sleuth.
    Pretty decent sleuthing, but not correct my friend. You apparently forgot that I cannot divulge who I really am being that I am in the "witness protection program".
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    and then when that gravy train runs out, you can be the head football coach at liberty, and talk about jesus handling your junk.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1071123317019602944

https://twitter.com/RCorySmith/statu...new-head-coach

OMG

Is he so caught up in his world that he doesn't understand the contemporary meaning of what he just said?
    ########
    Edit: It's such a strange thing to say, it's almost like he's trolling for someone to point the obvious out, so he can then talk about being mistreated and misunderstood.
    Last edited by Chukker Veteran; December 14th, 2018 at 11:56 AM.

BamaNation All-American CrimsonNagus's Avatar

What's the problem here though? So he's a pastor of a mega church, probably makes a lot of money but, he's not aloud to spend that money? I don't get why people are upset. If all these people that go to these churches don't want their pastors to have nice things then, stop giving money to the church, buying his books, etc.

We don't criticize doctors, athletes and other wealthy individuals for spending their money so, why wealthy pastors?

Should pastors be wealthy, well that's a different discussion all together.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wi...S5U?li=BBnb7Kz

These idiots never cease to amaze me with their stupidity, but as long as their congregations buy in why not take advantage while they can.
    Racist
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonNagus View Post
    What's the problem here though? So he's a pastor of a mega church, probably makes a lot of money but, he's not aloud to spend that money? I don't get why people are upset. If all these people that go to these churches don't want their pastors to have nice things then, stop giving money to the church, buying his books, etc.

We don't criticize doctors, athletes and other wealthy individuals for spending their money so, why wealthy pastors?

Should pastors be wealthy, well that's a different discussion all together.

1) The pastor himself posted it on social media. Why? Well, the normal human tendency to seek approval.

He wanted people to know what a big, loving stud husband he is to Ms Gray. I'm not gonna be surprised if he's a loving stud to women other than Ms Gray, either. The preacher who must praise himself winds up with a congregation of one.

2) Even if we take the POV that his only flaw was the social media post, there's that Christian stewardship thing.

Ok, he got his wife a car, fine. But why something so expensive? My watch (when I wore one anyway) told time just as good as a Rolex and cost several thousand dollars less. A Camry (just picking a name out of the air) would get her the same distance.

3) If he would have just been circumspect about it - and thus nobody knew - this wouldn't even be a story.

He could have done the EXACT SAME THING, bought her the same car but not shared it on Instagram........and nobody would know nor care. In essence, he kind of demanded attention and now complains about the attention he demanded.

4) "nobody criticizes basketball players" who drive rich cars because they don't post it on social media and invoke God in the process.

(This should not be difficult for anyone to understand.

To be clear, there is no biblical mandate to take a vow of poverty in ministry, but what are the requirements to be a pastor? One of the is to not be a lover of money. At the very least this occurrence throws that into question. And his response doesn't really do much, either. Why not a humble, "I should not have posted it, blah blah, love my wife but was wrong here" and left it at that.

Getting huffy isn't making it go away.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Another Story of Prosperity Christianity

Have yet to see a single solitary current day public (meaning media-presence, tv/radio as well as social) “preacher” who does not “worship” money.
    Vows of poverty are pretty exclusive to older religions (esp. Catholicism); the opposite is pretty much the order of the day for the “newer” religions (or at least their most prominent ministers).
    That’s why I have such animosity towards them - guess it was just how I was raised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by twofbyc; December 15th, 2018 at 05:43 AM.
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

This......is.....immaculate.......