Another Story of Prosperity Christianity

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
What's the problem here though? So he's a pastor of a mega church, probably makes a lot of money but, he's not aloud to spend that money? I don't get why people are upset. If all these people that go to these churches don't want their pastors to have nice things then, stop giving money to the church, buying his books, etc.

We don't criticize doctors, athletes and other wealthy individuals for spending their money so, why wealthy pastors?

Should pastors be wealthy, well that's a different discussion all together.

1) The pastor himself posted it on social media. Why? Well, the normal human tendency to seek approval.

He wanted people to know what a big, loving stud husband he is to Ms Gray. I'm not gonna be surprised if he's a loving stud to women other than Ms Gray, either. The preacher who must praise himself winds up with a congregation of one.

2) Even if we take the POV that his only flaw was the social media post, there's that Christian stewardship thing.

Ok, he got his wife a car, fine. But why something so expensive? My watch (when I wore one anyway) told time just as good as a Rolex and cost several thousand dollars less. A Camry (just picking a name out of the air) would get her the same distance.

3) If he would have just been circumspect about it - and thus nobody knew - this wouldn't even be a story.

He could have done the EXACT SAME THING, bought her the same car but not shared it on Instagram........and nobody would know nor care. In essence, he kind of demanded attention and now complains about the attention he demanded.

4) "nobody criticizes basketball players" who drive rich cars because they don't post it on social media and invoke God in the process.

(This should not be difficult for anyone to understand.

To be clear, there is no biblical mandate to take a vow of poverty in ministry, but what are the requirements to be a pastor? One of the is to not be a lover of money. At the very least this occurrence throws that into question. And his response doesn't really do much, either. Why not a humble, "I should not have posted it, blah blah, love my wife but was wrong here" and left it at that.

Getting huffy isn't making it go away.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Have yet to see a single solitary current day public (meaning media-presence, tv/radio as well as social) “preacher” who does not “worship” money.
Vows of poverty are pretty exclusive to older religions (esp. Catholicism); the opposite is pretty much the order of the day for the “newer” religions (or at least their most prominent ministers).
That’s why I have such animosity towards them - guess it was just how I was raised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.