Weather could impact the Orange Bowl

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
TP sold its allotment in Miami without any issues. The out of state alumni chapters typically get offered the opportunity to buy tickets for the playoffs and Natty. While the Natty was readily available, I'm not even sure if the S. Florida chapters could buy tickets. I know Tide in Texas probably had 50 requests or more for OB tickets. I literally couldn't give away 4 at face value to the Natty in Cali. The Natty is the game I fear ND or Clemson will have 80% of the tickets. I expect Miami to be 55/45 OU just b/c they still have ties to the corporate/PSL seats from their days of the OB being tied into the B8.
This is the FIRST year I've ever had enough points to purchase semi-final tickets. That tells me the interest just isn't there like in Dallas, Atlanta or New Orleans. At first it made me think ohhhh Alabama fans are all saving for the Natty. But now I'm not so sure. I've gotten Natty tickets every year from Tide Pride. I have always had enough points to get Natty tickets but never enough for semi-final until this year. So this year I can get both. Hmmmm, tells me Alabama fans aren't going to travel to either. Makes me wonder are we just spoiled? At what Natty did we travel? We were outnumbered in Atlanta, Tampa, Glendale and Miami. Can't remember about New Orleans. Pasadena was probably 50/50. Just a little disappointing.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I mean, I think the committee would know better than to put the #1 seed in a glorified road game in a city where OU plays at least once a season if not twice now with the Big-12 championship game back
I kinda think that they were think Bama would do like Clemson last year, and just say "any old stadium would do.". Clemson should have picked the Rose Bowl last year, and outnumbered us 90-10 instead of choosing a 50-50 site like the Sugar Bowl. I believe CNS didn't want a 60-40 venue in which the whole city of Dallas was full of Oklahoma fans. Instead he (or UA) chose a stadium that will be 70% full at best and an Oklahoma majority crowd. It makes sense, but it doesn't because there are a hell of a lot more Bama fans in Texas than there are in South Florida.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Not saying your info is wrong, and it really doesn't matter. He likes Dallas, he really really likes Dallas. That's all. :)
Agree he likes Dallas. He was probably wishing for OSU or UGA to get the 4 seed so he could come to Dallas. I wish we were in Dallas so I could’ve gotten tickets through the University.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I realize our record in Dallas is stellar but if this game were there then you can bet for SURE that it would be an overwhelmingly OU crowd—probably 80-20. I’m aware of our strong contingent of fans in Texas, but Jerry World is a short drive from Oklahoma and on top of that many more Oklahoma alumni live and work in Texas than Bama alumni. I see two advantages for us having it in Miami—it at least makes the trip much more costly for the average OU fan and puts a damper on their overall attendance, also the natural grass field favors us slightly over them imo. All things considered though, I think the choice of the two venues will be a non factor in the game—it sure as heck wasn’t one when we played ND down there in January 2013.

Last edited:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Just checked the long range again and clear, low 70’s, light winds and 85% humidity. It will change 20 more times but, I think higher temps/humidity helps us as we play in those conditions the first half of the season.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
This is the FIRST year I've ever had enough points to purchase semi-final tickets. That tells me the interest just isn't there like in Dallas, Atlanta or New Orleans. At first it made me think ohhhh Alabama fans are all saving for the Natty. But now I'm not so sure. I've gotten Natty tickets every year from Tide Pride. I have always had enough points to get Natty tickets but never enough for semi-final until this year. So this year I can get both. Hmmmm, tells me Alabama fans aren't going to travel to either. Makes me wonder are we just spoiled? At what Natty did we travel? We were outnumbered in Atlanta, Tampa, Glendale and Miami. Can't remember about New Orleans. Pasadena was probably 50/50. Just a little disappointing.
I still think it’s absurd that, after flying the team to the game, you have to purchase tickets. The university should have the entire flight crew VIP/Sideline passes as a simple Thank You.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Just checked the long range again and clear, low 70’s, light winds and 85% humidity. It will change 20 more times but, I think higher temps/humidity helps us as we play in those conditions the first half of the season.
The last time I saw 112F, it was in Oklahoma. The humidity was high also... :)

GuessJ

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 11, 2018
Just looked at the preliminary forecast on accuweather for the stadium and it has wind and rain. Up to .25” rain, wind sustained at 16, gusting to 27. That said, the forecast will change 20 times before the game. Weather folks can’t get a forecast correct 2 hours out.
I know you mentioned as I quoted.. the forecast will change 20 times before Game..

But it's imperative that people understand any weather 'forecast' beyond 24-48 hours is nearly useless. Only objects that follow clear patterns can be predicted to SOME degree of accuracy more than a couple of days out -- ie: Hurricane tracks, etc. Even then.. it's not uncommon to see these tracks shift in hours to miss or hit massive landmasses (or shift out to sea , etc).

Our weather forecasting has come a LOOOONG way in the last 100 years,.. but it's still a conglomerate of super computer model output based on a multitude of weighted algorithms. IE: The GFS, NAM, CAE WRF, MDL, NCEP, European model(s), etc. Often the best of meteorologists with some time under their belts will develop tendencies in which models are most reliable for certain weather predictions/types of precip (Ie: Snow/Winter Wx vs. Thunder Storms, et al.). They develop intuition on which models to follow over some others based on how they handle weather trends accurately at specific ranges of time.

IE: James Spann might use the European model for 10-15 days out (in voodoo land).. then the NAM for days 5-10.. and shift to the GFS for <5 Days. Or sometimes certain models , for whatever reason(s) handle an 'event' better than others and that is used.

SMtill despite their best efforts with sophisticated model output they 'bust' all the time and the 06Z GFS might show precipitation 300 Miles north or south of the 12Z run.

Point being: As you know.. anything beyond a couple of days is just for 'fun' really and has a much higher chance of being completely wrong than accurate.

Case in point: 2-3 Days later: This is what Accuweather has for [FONT=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]Miami Garden,[/FONT] FL 33056 aka: Orange Bowl location. :cool:

Also -- I'd rather the forecast be clear (no precip or wind). Nick Saban and Alabama have , imo, the most prolific offense in football. I don't want the weather making a 'difference ' in either teams ability (positive or negative). I have strong faith in:

Alabama's 2nd ranked Offense in the county facing Oklahoma's the 108th ranked Defense in the country.
Meanwhile - Oklahoma's 1st ranked offense facing Alabama's 10th (Total Defense) ranked Defense [8th in the S&P+].

I trust Nick Saban overall and preparing a football team and finding their vital weaknesses with ~1 Month to prepare plus to Self Scout his own team/Alabama to find Bama's largest Weaknesses to correct in this time ... as opposed to a very talented and young 35 year old head coach of the Sooners.

Honestly - I have a healthy respect for this football team.. primarily their O-line, Receiver corps, Primary HB's and even that halfway decent Quarterback.. what's his name.. Kyle Mary ? ;) In all seriousness,.. This game could run anywhere from Alabama running away with it due to having a team with both a top 10 Offense and Defense,... It turning into a shootout because that's what Kyler 'does' (Think Deshaun Watson NC game Part I)... Or Murray keeps it close as predicted with Close meaning a final score of 14-17 points.

All of that said: The #1 team should be facing the worst team of the 4 seeds - and I firmly believe the 'least dangerous' team is Notre Dame. [Though, I reserve the right to change that thought should Clemson lose lol].

GuessJ

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 11, 2018
I still think it’s absurd that, after flying the team to the game, you have to purchase tickets. The university should have the entire flight crew VIP/Sideline passes as a simple Thank You.
By the time these playoffs move to 8 -- Gonna happen sooner than later:

The top seeded teams should get HOME Berths.. To literally play the 5-6-7-8 Teams at their HOME field. Then of course they start going neutral as they get to the NC.

Even now: Alabama played ALL year with a huge bullseye on their back of being THE team to knockoff -- and maintained their #1 ranking through 13 Total Games. Remaining Undefeated (not even remotely easy).

As such: I don't think it's even close to 'unfair' if the #4 team , who also has a Loss on their resume,.. were to have to fly down to Tuscaloosa and play at Bryant Denny stadium. Seriously.

Clemson (being undefeated as well) has a right (less of one due to Notre Dame's undefeated season) to have Notre Dame fly to Clemson to play there. [Remember Notre Dame doesn't have the trial of a conference championship].

This certainly won't happen with 4 teams. However, when we get to 8,.. I think a bit of NFL 'Berths' should inch their way into the CFP for at least the 1st and 2nd Seeded Teams (and subsequently the 7th and 8th seeds).

That said: I know there is all sorts of money into neutral sites. So....

TAKEPRIDE22

2nd Team
Jul 21, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I think the weather would hurt them more...we have a downhill running game that is already going to give them problems...and the weather would hurt both of our teams speed.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
I have a feeling the National championship game out in Santa Clara is going to be a flop. I put in for tickets this year and made the cutofff unlike last year. They didn’t say what the cutoff was. I even received an email offering me an additional two more. I thought about it and passed. I’m taking out a client to the game and I was afraid of taking a bath on the other two tickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
The one thing we know about weather forecasting is that it is an inexact science. For all we know we will have a pestilence and gale force winds, while Miami further sinks as sea levels continue to rise!!

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
Just looked at the preliminary forecast on accuweather for the stadium and it has wind and rain. Up to .25” rain, wind sustained at 16, gusting to 27. That field does not exactly drain well and could become a factor. Both teams have to play in the same conditions but, a chopped up field would likely benefit BAMA more.
That said, the forecast will change 20 times before the game. Weather folks can’t get a forecast correct 2 hours out. Weather folks kept saying a strong cold front with sustained winds 25-35, gusting upwards of 45 would blow through starting at 3PM. I wasted the time to unplug the Christmas inflatables in the yard and secure stuff on the patio. Just checked and no sustained winds over 12 and no gust over 20. (I even left the wife’s Aggie flag up hoping it would fly away. :biggrin2: )
Well, to be fair Texas weather is harder to predict than most places.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Unless a late wave of requests came in, Tide Pride did not sell out its allotment. UA was letting the general public sign up for seats to be filled first come, first served.

I have a feeling the National championship game out in Santa Clara is going to be a flop. I put in for tickets this year and made the cutofff unlike last year. They didn’t say what the cutoff was. I even received an email offering me an additional two more. I thought about it and passed. I’m taking out a client to the game and I was afraid of taking a bath on the other two tickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.