Weather could impact the Orange Bowl

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Just looked at the preliminary forecast on accuweather for the stadium and it has wind and rain. Up to .25” rain, wind sustained at 16, gusting to 27. That field does not exactly drain well and could become a factor. Both teams have to play in the same conditions but, a chopped up field would likely benefit BAMA more.

That said, the forecast will change 20 times before the game. Weather folks can’t get a forecast correct 2 hours out. Weather folks kept saying a strong cold front with sustained winds 25-35, gusting upwards of 45 would blow through starting at 3PM. I wasted the time to unplug the Christmas inflatables in the yard and secure stuff on the patio. Just checked and no sustained winds over 12 and no gust over 20. (I even left the wife’s Aggie flag up hoping it would fly away. :biggrin2: )

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Just looked at the preliminary forecast on accuweather for the stadium and it has wind and rain. Up to .25” rain, wind sustained at 16, gusting to 27. That field does not exactly drain well and could become a factor. Both teams have to play in the same conditions but, a chopped up field would likely benefit BAMA more.

That said, the forecast will change 20 times before the game. Weather folks can’t get a forecast correct 2 hours out. Weather folks kept saying a strong cold front with sustained winds 25-35, gusting upwards of 45 would blow through starting at 3PM. I wasted the time to unplug the Christmas inflatables in the yard and secure stuff on the patio. Just checked and no sustained winds over 12 and no gust over 20. (I even left the wife’s Aggie flag up hoping it would fly away. :biggrin2: )
At this point the forecast is deep in voodoo land.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Two weeks out, hard to predict what 7pm Dec 29 will be like but I would reckon that the field will be a mess and cutting will be hard for the skill guys.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
At this point the forecast is deep in voodoo land.
I literally looked at the local forecast last night just before bed, chance of rain this AM was 70%, with a good chance of thunderstorms. Got up at 4:30 and checked it again only to find the chance of rain was now 5% with 0% chance of thunderstorms. They missed it that badly just seven hours ahead of time. This happens with great regularity - I won't worry about the forecast until the morning of the game and even then will take it with a grain of salt.

Meteorology (specifically, forecasting) is as much a guess today as it was 100 years ago.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
This past week - Sunday night, forecast was for light freeze (32) Monday night and warmer Tuesday night (36). Same forecast Monday night for Tuesday night. Tuesday night downward forecast to 34. Woke up Wednesday morning (temp was 34) but everything was covered with frost which was not predicted for our area (only inland counties).
Wife was ticked because we uncovered the plants Tuesday.
Now we’ll cover them if they predict mid 30’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
This past week - Sunday night, forecast was for light freeze (32) Monday night and warmer Tuesday night (36). Same forecast Monday night for Tuesday night. Tuesday night downward forecast to 34. Woke up Wednesday morning (temp was 34) but everything was covered with frost which was not predicted for our area (only inland counties).
Wife was ticked because we uncovered the plants Tuesday.
Now we’ll cover them if they predict mid 30’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Same here I have some cold tolerant plants outside and have them under frost cover. The seven day forecast of late has been meaningless and literally changes significantly each day. As you say it is difficult to judge when a heavy frost will come.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Yep, we were supposed to have rain all day yesterday and it started raining around 10pm and barely rained enough to soak the ground. We will be in Ft. Meyers for a Perfect Game showcase and may drive over for the game if we are done baseballing. It's a little over 2 hours to drive to Miami so if we can find 3 tickets, we may do it. Hoping for perfect weather for the whole bottom end of Florida that weekend!!

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Using any forecast past 8 days is likely inaccurate. That said, let say it does rain, it benefits us tremendously. It’ll prevent Kyler from doing his ballet impression in the pocket and it would make him a one dimensional QB. We’re equipped on offense to run in wet weather with the Harris backs and Jacobs. We could make it one of those ugly 17-12 games which I’m perfectly fine with.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
I'm a weather nerd. Came very close to doing meteorology as a career.

Any app or forecast that gives you those "hour-by-hour" looks are mostly crap. There's little skill in this, except on clear days. ha! The weather channel is the worst. By and large, they only care about and forecast by the major cities. They do this because they have access to public data, such as big TV stations and airports. Basically, if you live in 80% of the state of Alabama, they base your current conditions off the 2 or 3 nearest observation points. So if you live in a triangle between Birmingham, Huntsville, and Gadsden, and they see that it's raining in two of those locations, they will say it is raining where you are...and that might not be true.

The best weather forecast comes via discussion, not absolutes given on the 7 day planner and by people you know are LOCAL. If you want data for Alabama, read alabamawx.com. Usually good discussion on timings of weather systems, severe weather, etc.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Murray would still be fast but all players who like to cut on a dime to escape hits are usually limited by bad turf conditions. It would hurt our shifty receivers too but they'd still be pretty quick on a straight line though. Similarly, Murray would still be a threat.

BamaGorilla

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 17, 2006
Cumming, GA
All weather forecasting now seems to be nothing but "click bait". What can I forecast that will bring that user back in the shortest amount of time to check it again so I make more money on the ads.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I was talking to a friend who said Alabama chose the Orange Bowl for two reasons:
1. Home filed advantage for Oklahoma in the Dallas area. Lots of Oklahoma players from Texas. They played the Big 12 CG there. They are used to that turf.
2. A GRASS field will slow down the Sooners some. Bryant-Denny has a grass field. So.? (Of course it slows down our WR's also.) But slowing down
K. M.. is very important. Look, he's headed in one direction, but no on a dime he's headed in another direction. What kind of turf does Oklahoma have in Norman?

A rain storm in Miam 7:00 - 10:00 p.m. CT: Also Alabama advantage.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I was talking to a friend who said Alabama chose the Orange Bowl for two reasons:
1. Home filed advantage for Oklahoma in the Dallas area. Lots of Oklahoma players from Texas. They played the Big 12 CG there. They are used to that turf.
2. A GRASS field will slow down the Sooners some. Bryant-Denny has a grass field. So.? (Of course it slows down our WR's also.) But slowing down
K. M.. is very important. Look, he's headed in one direction, but no on a dime he's headed in another direction. What kind of turf does Oklahoma have in Norman?

Saban said that he did not choose the Orange Bowl - that he was never even asked. The CFP does this based on what they perceive to be best for the #1 seed.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Saban said that he did not choose the Orange Bowl - that he was never even asked. The CFP does this based on what they perceive to be best for the #1 seed.
Supposedly the #1 team has the most favorable location. You'd think Bama would have been asked since Dallas is probably 3-4 hours closer by drive. But, at any rate, I think the #1 reason listed above was probably the only consideration since Dallas would have been more favorable for OU in terms of fan accessibility.

Field conditions/turf type is not a factor. It would affect us just as much as them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.