Link: Talent evaluation and development

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Perusing the articles in kyallie's Bama News Links thread this week...

If there is any doubt as to why we are dominant, this pretty much explains it. Coach Saban and his crew are THE BEST at identifying talent, getting & (mostly) keeping them on campus until they graduate, and developing and expanding their talents so that they can be successful for and at the next level.

What an amazing chart!

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1072106153159655424

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Yep, I saw this in the Bama News feed earlier. It is an amazing stat and exemplifies why Coach Saban continues to dominate. Roll Tide!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It is a bit ironic to say this, but it amazes me that Alabama doesn't land even more 5 stars. I mean Alabama is as close to a sure thing as you can get for those kids...

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
It is a bit ironic to say this, but it amazes me that Alabama doesn't land even more 5 stars. I mean Alabama is as close to a sure thing as you can get for those kids...
"But you wont even crack the depth chart at Alabama "

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
"But you wont even crack the depth chart at Alabama "
That approach works with a lot of kids. If they're afraid of competition, they'd rather be a big fish in a small pond and think their talent will get them into the NFL anyway. Cream rises to the top...

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
That approach works with a lot of kids. If they're afraid of competition, they'd rather be a big fish in a small pond and think their talent will get them into the NFL anyway. Cream rises to the top...
I agree and it seems some of them love the spotlight more than anything else. They are used to and thrive being the BMOC. They are not going to play second-fiddle to anyone, so rather than having to wait their turn they go to the place where they can be the man. I am not saying they don't have the right to make that choice but just pointing out I can remember a couple of those.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
I agree and it seems some of them love the spotlight more than anything else. They are used to and thrive being the BMOC. They are not going to play second-fiddle to anyone, so rather than having to wait their turn they go to the place where they can be the man. I am not saying they don't have the right to make that choice but just pointing out I can remember a couple of those.
Agree with this and glad we don't land many of those types. Coach Saban and his staff(s) over the years has done a really good job of recruiting and developing TEAM first rather than ME first players.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Even if they all made the NFL anyway you would think they would enjoy winning a Championship or two (or three)

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I see that the chart states, "Who have declared for the NFL draft". Is this just those who came out as juniors or does it include those who played their senior year?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Exactly, when did winning championships take a back seat to stats?
That`s an easy one. It becomes that way when a kid is raised in such a way as to come to believe that optimizing his/her skills is for his/her own personal advantage as opposed to the accomplishment of a greater goal over and above their own. They will, in all likelihood, not be the kind of person that when the chips are on the table, you would wish to have at your back in the fox hole.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Yep... Alabama is a leg up on making it to the next level.
I believe all top athletes have the dream of making it big in the Pros.
First step is to sign with Alabama.
If the kid is big enough, fast enough, and has the determination to make it at Alabama, Coach Saban can pretty much teach them the rest.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
We play so many Freshmen, it's hard to sale that tired old line about cracking the rotation.

I love it every time I hear Coach Saban say he plays the best players.
When you look at all of our young receivers and at Tua...
You just have to know... If you are good enough, your gonna get a shot at starting.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.