Is it inevitable that the playoff games become Super Bowl-like corporate venues?

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Correct me if I'm wrong but those "Orange Bowl Committee" seats were at least in part sold directly to the public through the Orange Bowl and those tickets will largely end up on the secondary market. A fair chunk of those seats will certainly be corporate gifts to partners of the Orange Bowl though.
Yeah, I think you're right. But I can tell you from personal experience, the only way I was able to buy tickets directly from the Orange Bowl was thru a package they have for folks that have a Capital One Credit card (which I do). I logged on the minute they opened that package to the public, and I only saw 3 sections that I could buy tickets in.

I tried to buy tickets in other sections as a member of the general public, and each time, their website asked for a Promotion Code which isn't made available to the general public. So, I can't tell how many tickets were really available to general public.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yeah, I think you're right. But I can tell you from personal experience, the only way I was able to buy tickets directly from the Orange Bowl was thru a package they have for folks that have a Capital One Credit card (which I do). I logged on the minute they opened that package to the public, and I only saw 3 sections that I could buy tickets in.

I tried to buy tickets in other sections as a member of the general public, and each time, their website asked for a Promotion Code which isn't made available to the general public. So, I can't tell how many tickets were really available to general public.
Yeah the corporate promotions thing with the NY6 is weird. I remember that folks who got hospitality packages for the 2015 Peach Bowl go into a drawing for tickets for the Semi final the next year and the NCG the year after (UGA vs UA).

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
As a retiree...
I'm pretty much on the outside looking in.
THAT'S OK...
I hate it, but I also understand it.

SO...

From an old folks perspective...
I'll be content to watch from my recliner.
Snacks are just a few feet away.
Bathroom is just down the hall.
(Bathroom is clean)
And I have the game on DVR... Never miss a play.
While an 80" screen isn't the same as being there, it ain't bad.

PERKS...
I don't have to pay for airfare.
I don't have to rent a car.
I don't have to eat out.
I don't have to buy expensive tickets to our game.
I don't pay thru the nose for stadium snacks.

From a retiree's standpoint, that's 5 wins. :)

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
I went to Phoenix in 15 and Tampa in 16. EXTREMELY expensive. If memory serves, there were more Clemson fans in Phoenix. Guessing 60-40. However, they were really loud. But . . . first time, totally got it. In Tampa it was closer to 65-35, Clemson fans. Or, at least, it felt and looked like it.

As to the topic question, no doubt they've turned the playoffs into corporate venues. I will say this . . . they've done a pretty good job of making it an experience. From musical acts performing to fan fest atmosphere and so on, it's a really cool experience. IF you can afford it.

I've done two and miiiiiight do Santa Clara --- only because I've never been to San Francisco and could mark it off my list (San Fran really isn't on my list; but you get the point).

Otherwise, I'm through shelling out the big bucks for that. Been there, done that. If they move to 8 teams and award a home game in the first round, it will be ungodly expensive. Get ready. Any of our home games now are really expensive. Can you imagine a home CFP game????

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Now... both competing teams get over 20,000 tickets each to the national championship game. They will always sell out. That is a higher percentage of tickets reserved for the school's fans than any other bowl. As long as they continue to distribute tickets in this manner, there will be a college big game atmosphere.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I went to Phoenix in 15 and Tampa in 16. EXTREMELY expensive. If memory serves, there were more Clemson fans in Phoenix. Guessing 60-40. However, they were really loud. But . . . first time, totally got it. In Tampa it was closer to 65-35, Clemson fans. Or, at least, it felt and looked like it.

As to the topic question, no doubt they've turned the playoffs into corporate venues. I will say this . . . they've done a pretty good job of making it an experience. From musical acts performing to fan fest atmosphere and so on, it's a really cool experience. IF you can afford it.

I've done two and miiiiiight do Santa Clara --- only because I've never been to San Francisco and could mark it off my list (San Fran really isn't on my list; but you get the point).

Otherwise, I'm through shelling out the big bucks for that. Been there, done that. If they move to 8 teams and award a home game in the first round, it will be ungodly expensive. Get ready. Any of our home games now are really expensive. Can you imagine a home CFP game????
I've heard the stadium is an awful location though. Not really all that close to SanFran and the parking is bad. Also, SanFran is one of the more expensive places in America right now. So the complaints about the cost of the Miami culture/nightlife holds up for SanFran. I'd probably punt on going to this national title game.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'd like to go to Los Angeles for the national title game once the new Rams/Charger stadium is opened. They have one of the last few host sites of the current CFP contract. Who knows if we're still doing this year title game chase 5 or so years from now. Still, you could go to Disneyland, see some of Hollywood, and make a kinda once-in-a-lifetime trip out of it.

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
These comments are all in sync with my comments on the playoff thread. If the playoffs expand to 8 teams they will need to move them to home sites of the higher seeds. The more that happens bowls will become even more irrelevant and eventually go away. Revenue from the mid to low bowl games comes largely from the sponsors and TV revenue.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

GulfCoastSooner

Dec 4, 2018
For the Big 12 championship game held at Jerry World, each school received 8,000 tickets. The other 64,000 went to corporate partners and third party ticketing sites. The Big 12 is, by far, the most poorly administered conference in college football. OU would love to get out of it and probably will at the end of the current tv contract. OUr problem is we have to take Little Brother (OSU) with us wherever we go.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
For the Big 12 championship game held at Jerry World, each school received 8,000 tickets. The other 64,000 went to corporate partners and third party ticketing sites. The Big 12 is, by far, the most poorly administered conference in college football. OU would love to get out of it and probably will at the end of the current tv contract. OUr problem is we have to take Little Brother (OSU) with us wherever we go.
We have a little brother too but I'm certain he is from a different dad.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
The problem with Jerry World is they have almost 50K PSL holders. The vast majority are guaranteed tickets to EVERY event except the Final Four and Super Bowl. The are going to take them for the B12 and sell them every time.

A good friend has 6 and it is great when we play in Dallas as he gives me his seats which are club Level on the 40. Great view and the don't cut off beer/liquor sales until 2 hours after the game is over. Parking lot is empty by then.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
So depending on your style of travel, if your team makes the finals, it's $6K to $10K a couple by the time you pay for airfare, hotel, rental car, food and drink, parking and the tickets themselves.

So yes, evolution to a Super Bowl-like corporate event is inevitable.
You can get a hotel right now (Hilton 20 miles from the Stadium) for $210 a night. You can get 2 tickets off of stub hub for $2K. (Can find them cheaper if you want the corner of the upper deck) Airfare out of ATL right now is $500RT. A car rental for 2 days will run $120. That is right at $3500 for a couple. Add in food and parking you are around $4K. At the same time, if you are willing to stay at a Hilton Garden Inn or Hampton Inn and sit in the corner of the upper deck, you are looking at about $3400. Still expensive but, more affordable....

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'd like to go to Los Angeles for the national title game once the new Rams/Charger stadium is opened. They have one of the last few host sites of the current CFP contract. Who knows if we're still doing this year title game chase 5 or so years from now. Still, you could go to Disneyland, see some of Hollywood, and make a kinda once-in-a-lifetime trip out of it.
Agreed. I can't wait to go to that stadium when its finished. Plus Cali weather is the best there is.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.