ADMIN NOTE: About rival fans posting - get used to it!

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
FWIW, I never have considered myself a "rival" poster - just someone who appreciates Alabama football and wants to enjoy some friendly conversation with others in a productive environment.

I totally understand the competitive spirit that exists in our sport and I think it's what makes it so great. But it doesn't give anyone license to go ballistic and lose all sense of composure and etiquette.

Newcomers are considered "guests" until they have been here long enough to understand and absorb the unique vibe that is a result of so many wonderful members as well as those who help run the place.

For those willing to stick it out and participate within that scope, the forum will benefit as well as the participating member.

I have often wondered why we didn't have more members representing outside programs. It's a shame really but at the end of the day it's all about balancing one's ego with the prospect of enjoying this amazing community for what it offers.
I never considered you a rival poster either. Maybe it’s because I’m a some-time South Daytona resident and one time Ponce Inlet Lighthouse preservation association member, I don’t see rival, I see Neighbor!

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Haha! No worries!
I truly appreciate the sentiment.

I won’t say it requires a lot of work to openly be an AU fan on a UA forum, because this truly is a great forum and it isn’t difficult, but I will admit to having bitten my tongue a few times lol.

I will also admit to missing Pitmaster. In spite of our frequent back and forth in the Plain Trouble thread, he was fun to trade barbs with and I really did like him.

Maxbama

1st Team
Oct 16, 2012
Crossville, TN
I think everyone should check their emotions as much as they can. At least try. It's frustrating before the game and even worse during the game. We all live and almost die by the game. We want our team to win every game. The constant complaining about Gary (CBS color announcer), lack of calls by the officials, OC and DC detracts from the game. It's okay to me to state it's a bad call but to constantly trash the officials or even our own team members (coaches and players) borders on going too far. Humans make mistakes. Should we be disappointed - certainly. I try my best to "see" the game for what it is. You call the play and then it gets executed. The offense executes and the defense executes. Someone wins during that called play. You line up and do it again.

I appreciate everyone who desires to participate in discussions about football from our community and those of our opponents. Everyone has a right to their views. As long as it remains within the context of our team's ability to play the game. What is detrimental to any discussion is emotion where someone just loses sight of presenting opinions based on strategy and execution. I'm talking about the tendency to just degrade into name calling or being disrespectful to the other person. Unfortunately, it seems our society (fueled by social media) is going that way.

I appreciate this board for it's members who, for the most part, are very educated (in football) and knowledgeable. I especially appreciate our moderators who do a great job of herding cats. I read almost every post on this board and enjoy participating when I think I have something to offer. I have never visited any other site. I could not and would not participate in other boards (based on the descriptions I read about) to enjoy our football experience. I prefer to enjoy discussing football with people who know it and to celebrate our great team. Roll Tide!

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I truly appreciate the sentiment.

I won’t say it requires a lot of work to openly be an AU fan on a UA forum, because this truly is a great forum and it isn’t difficult, but I will admit to having bitten my tongue a few times lol.

I will also admit to missing Pitmaster. In spite of our frequent back and forth in the Plain Trouble thread, he was fun to trade barbs with and I really did like him.
We have all just come to accept you as one of us despite your life choice.

One of us. One of us. One of us.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
how so? too many negative feedbacks now?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Not trying to speak for him, but the vibe is definitely different in here. Some of our Bama members that were not around during the home and home , and were influenced by some of Bob Stoops comments don’t have the same respect for longtime Soonerfans on the board.
Of course, he may be referring to the mix of rival posters we have now. But back in the early days, there were a lot of LSU fans on this board!

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I have to say, things have changed since I first posted when we had our home/home.
Without a doubt. Those of us who were around for the home and home with OU understand this comment. The change, for the most part, is with members who were not around for the bad days, their only reference is the Saban era and its successes. History has a way of repeating itself.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Without a doubt. Those of us who were around for the home and home with OU understand this comment. The change, for the most part, are with members who were not around for the bad days, their only reference is the Saban era and its successes. History has a way of repeating itself.
I do think those of us who have been around the board "pre-CNS" have a perspective that is unique. We certainly remember the 3 Mikes and remember the Tubby fingers.

Winning brings alot a "new fans" and some are so young they don't really appreciate or even know about the lean years.

Glad I've witnessed the Paul Bear Bryant and Nick Saban dynasties and it makes it all the sweeter having lived the years after coach Bryant death and before CNS arrival.

Since Earle started the thread, he can tell us about the lean years before Coach Bryant. :wink:

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I don’t mind and in fact appreciate respectful posters who to root for other teams.

EDIT: retracted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don’t mind and in fact appreciate respectful posters who to root for other teams... but do we really need an introductory thread for every new poster, Bama or otherwise?

I am pretty sure that you are asked to introduce yourself when you sign up. At least, that's what I remember.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I don’t mind and in fact appreciate respectful posters who to root for other teams... but do we really need an introductory thread for every new poster, Bama or otherwise?

Isn’t that the polite thing to do? I always thought so.

That being said, I ventured over to an OU board recently, politely introduced myself, and absolutely could not believe the language, (sexual primarily)vulgarity, lewdness, and just brash immaturity that I encountered. It was absolutely horrible and the most unwelcoming I’ve ever felt going onto an opponents message board. It made me really appreciate what we have here.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014

That being said, I ventured over to an OU board recently, politely introduced myself, and absolutely could not believe the language, (sexual primarily)vulgarity, lewdness, and just brash immaturity that I encountered. It was absolutely horrible and the most unwelcoming I’ve ever felt going onto an opponents message board. It made me really appreciate what we have here.
You must not venture out much. Almost all other fan boards are like that. Realy. Just visit a few and you will be shocked.

GulfCoastSooner

Dec 4, 2018

D35...what OU board did you look at? Please tell me it wasn’t LandThieves...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Oregon Blitzkrieg was a special case.
If y’all had to win it all, I am glad it was against Oregon. I wouldn’t have been that upset if you had beat Free Seafood University.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
A personal point of pride after having founded this site and kept it running for 20 years is the number and variety of rival fans we have on board. It is true that not everyone survives - mostly because they bring their smack-talk baggage from other boards; but, the ones that do (many of whom have been mentioned above) are an essential part of what we do here on TideFans. Those who "get quitted" (as we used to say in the consulting biz) or "get fired" do so on their own choosing by how they behave. Same is true for our own Bama fans.

We don't always achieve this goal, but I want this site to be above others in its capacity to engage in rational, calm, intelligent discussion with each other and with other fans. Anything else is debasing.

Thanks to all who have joined, who have participated, who have lurked for years and decided to dive in recently, and those who are still out there lurking. You are all valued by me!

RTR, Merry Christmas, & Roll on!

BN

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.