Link: ACA holding... - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: ACA holding...

BamaNation All-American CrimsonNagus's Avatar

Re: ACA holding...

Who in this country can afford $100K treatments? The top 1%?

So because the top 1% control all the money, the rest of us poor folks still have to subsidize the rest of the world's drugs. How about make them pay $100K and give me the $10 version.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonNagus View Post
    Who in this country can afford $100K treatments? The top 1%?
    FWIW, my brother is developmentally disabled and blind, so he's on Medicare - they approved him for this treatment.

He would have had zero hope of treatment with private insurance, of that much I'm certain.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    When I look at the bottom lines of Big Pharma, I have to take some issue with this...
    Gilead released Sovaldi/Harvoni in 2014 -- the drugs that treat hepatitis C. Since then, Medicare and Medicaid have paid Gilead north of $20 billion for these two drugs alone. And since Medicare/aid cannot negotiate drug prices, they just fork over whatever Gilead demands.

Again, I'm all for drug R&D. But Gilead could have asked for twice the price, and taxpayers would have had no recourse at all. That's not a subsidy, that's a broken system.

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    FWIW, my brother is developmentally disabled and blind, so he's on Medicare - they approved him for this treatment.

He would have had zero hope of treatment with private insurance, of that much I'm certain.
    I've seen folks on Medicaid/Medical treated with this, so it's not just the rich getting treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    Gilead released Sovaldi/Harvoni in 2014 -- the drugs that treat hepatitis C. Since then, Medicare and Medicaid have paid Gilead north of $20 billion for these two drugs alone. And since Medicare/aid cannot negotiate drug prices, they just fork over whatever Gilead demands.

Again, I'm all for drug R&D. But Gilead could have asked for twice the price, and taxpayers would have had no recourse at all. That's not a subsidy, that's a broken system.
    I can't argue that the system is not broken. We both know it is.

That said, even with the exorbitant costs, Hep C treatment is still cost effective vs no treatment.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    I've seen folks on Medicaid/Medical treated with this, so it's not just the rich getting treatment.

I can't argue that the system is not broken. We both know it is.

That said, even with the exorbitant costs, Hep C treatment is still cost effective vs no treatment.
    Tony, I'm curious as to the rationale for this statement...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Left untreated it often leads to liver transplants - they aint cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by twofbyc View Post
    Left untreated it often leads to liver transplants - they ain’t cheap.

That's part of it, but add in end of life costs for those not treated and lost production and so forth and those costs add up quickly.

https://www.hcvguidelines.org/evaluate/cost

Cost-Effectiveness of Current Direct-Acting Antiviral Regimens for Hepatitis C Treatment

Since the first direct-acting antivirals (DAAs) received US Food and Drug Administration approval in 2011, several cost-effectiveness investigations have compared DAA-based regimens to previous standard-of-care regimens to calculate ICERs. They have also investigated the cost-effectiveness of eliminating HCV treatment restrictions. Compared to interferon-based regimens, the ICER for DAAs has consistently been estimated at <$100,000/QALY for all genotypes and fibrosis stages.
    Several studies have compared DAA regimens against one another. In general, when given a choice between recommended HCV DAA regimens, the less costly regimen is preferred as a more efficient use of resources (even if it requires multiple tablet dosing). Because of the similar efficacy of most DAA regimens, cost becomes the critical factor driving cost-effectiveness. Recent studies have also estimated the cost-effectiveness of HCV treatment in special populations, including patients awaiting liver transplantation, HIV/HCV coinfected patients, those with chronic kidney disease, and persons who inject drugs—all with favorable ICERs. At this time, it is reasonable to conclude that DAA regimens provide good value for the resources invested.

Cost vs Affordability for HCV Treatment

Despite a growing body of evidence that HCV treatment is cost-effective and may even be cost saving over the long term in some cases, many US payers—especially those offering Medicaid insurance products—continue to limit access to HCV treatment. Access has improved as cost has decreased but limitations remain. Proposed reductions in healthcare spending for Medicaid would likely exacerbate the problem as the value of the HCV medications would remain unchanged but the resources available to provide them would shrink.

Conclusions

Several recent studies have demonstrated the economic value of HCV treatment and made it clear that HCV therapy is cost-effective (Chahal, 2016); (Chatwal, 2015); (Chidi, 2016); (Linas, 2015); (Martin, 2016a); (Najafzadeh, 2015); (Rein, 2015); (Tice, 2015); (Younossi, 2015a). The high cost of these medications combined with the high prevalence of disease has led to limiting access for some patients. The issue is complex. Although the wholesale acquisition costs of HCV drugs often make treatment appear unaffordable, the reality is that insurers, PBMs, and government agencies negotiate pricing and few actually pay this much-publicized price. Negotiated pricing and cost structure for pharmaceutical products in the US are not transparent, however. Thus, it is therefore difficult to estimate the true budgetary impact of providing HCV drugs. Competition and negotiated pricing have reduced prices but cost continues to limit the public health impact of new DAA therapies. Insurers, government, and pharmaceutical companies should work together to bring medication prices to the point where all persons in need of treatment are able to afford and readily access it.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Quote Originally Posted by twofbyc View Post
    Left untreated it often leads to liver transplants - they ain’t cheap.

I understand that. My point is that it's "cost effective" in the same manner as any extortion is, "protection money" to the mob, for example. In Europe, for example, drug companies are dragged in and forced to open their books and justify their costs, as they are not here. That's the true reason for the low costs. Then they turn to the US, where there is no check and balance system, and say "Fork over two billion"...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    Life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, free housing, free phones, free food and affordable health insurance...if only our founding fathers had a clue.
    We have some new House members who will make everything free for everyone. The big, evil corporations will pay for it. They make so much they will never miss it, and the investors and stockholders don't care about any profit either. No problem!!

Quote Originally Posted by Valley View View Post
    We have some new House members who will make everything free for everyone. The big, evil corporations will pay for it. They make so much they will never miss it, and the investors and stockholders don't care about any profit either. No problem!!
    Hooray!

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I understand that. My point is that it's "cost effective" in the same manner as any extortion is, "protection money" to the mob, for example. In Europe, for example, drug companies are dragged in and forced to open their books and justify their costs, as they are not here. That's the true reason for the low costs. Then they turn to the US, where there is no check and balance system, and say "Fork over two billion"...
    I dont disagree - big pharma spends countless millions on advertising in this country; why? You cant sashay down to Walgreens and buy their drugs; a prescription is required.
    They did cut out all the lavish gifts to doctors and staff, but this is still absurd.
    Whats the difference with me selling crack on a street corner with an ad around my neck? None IMO.

The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

NYC Mayor Guarantees Health Care for All in Surprise Announcement

New York City will begin guaranteeing comprehensive health care to every single resident regardless of someone's ability to pay or immigration status, an unprecedented plan that will protect the more than half-a-million New Yorkers currently using the ER as a primary provider, Mayor Bill de Blasio said.

It's not health insurance, his spokesman clarified after the surprise announcement on MSNBC Tuesday morning.

"This is the city paying for direct comprehensive care (not just ERs) for people who can't afford it, or can't get comprehensive Medicaid -- including 300,000 undocumented New Yorkers," spokesman Eric Phillips tweeted.

New California governor tackles drug prices in first act

Hours into his new job, California Governor Gavin Newsom signed an executive order on Monday that could dramatically reshape the way prescription drugs are paid for and acquired in the most populous U.S. state...

In his executive order, Newsom directed state officials to set up what he said would ultimately be the nation’s largest single-purchaser system for prescription drugs. It directed California’s massive Medicaid system to negotiate prescription drug prices for all of its 13 million recipients, changing their benefits from a managed-care or HMO approach to one that allows the state to handle all the purchases.