what beers are you enjoying this winter

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i think we used to have a beer thread but i couldn't find it.

last week, i enjoyed a belgian quad (four fiddlers) and r.i.s. (caberge) from arches (my local brewery). these were both limited release and i had been storing these waiting on cold weather.

i am starting to rotate the darker beers in now that winter is here.

this week i have in my fridge,

bells expedition stout

founder's robust porter

reformation stark toasted porter (one of my wife's favorites)

https://reformationbrewery.com/stark/

also, to brag a little bit on my local brewery, arches (owned by a friend). my two favorite beers they do and two of their mainstays, southside lager and mexican empire (vienna lager) recently received a 96 and 97 respectively on beer connoisseur

https://beerconnoisseur.com/beer/arches-brewing/mexican-empire

https://beerconnoisseur.com/beer/arches-brewing/southside-lager

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I've tried the darker beers (for the winter season) and have come to the conclusion that come fall/winter time I'm a bourbon/whiskey man. I've got a friend of mine who has tried to get me onto darker beers but I just can't find one I like enough to not reach for my bourbon.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I've tried the darker beers (for the winter season) and have come to the conclusion that come fall/winter time I'm a bourbon/whiskey man. I've got a friend of mine who has tried to get me onto darker beers but I just can't find one I like enough to not reach for my bourbon.
i love me some scotch and bourbon but i just can't drink much hard liquor anymore. i'll enjoy a pour from time to time, but nowhere near the amount i used to. on the darker beers (especially the high abv ones), i will usually have one, then switch to something lighter.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
i love me some scotch and bourbon but i just can't drink much hard liquor anymore. i'll enjoy a pour from time to time, but nowhere near the amount i used to. on the darker beers (especially the high abv ones), i will usually have one, then switch to something lighter.
Yep, I'm starting to get there as well. The past few years I notice I'm drinking less and less of it. I want to think I'm getting more patient and understanding and don't need as much of it. But I'd be lying to myself. I just can't tolerate as much of it as I used to.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yep, I'm starting to get there as well. The past few years I notice I'm drinking less and less of it. I want to think I'm getting more patient and understanding and don't need as much of it. But I'd be lying to myself. I just can't tolerate as much of it as I used to.
yeah, i would like to spin it as a positive. but in reality, i'm just getting old.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
yeah, i would like to spin it as a positive. but in reality, i'm just getting old.
Currently I'm trying to find some W.L. Weller 12 yr but for some reason the liquor stores in my area have a hard time getting any. I've read where it is reasonably priced yet has a high end taste profile. So I've been trying to get my hands on some for the holidays.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Do any of y'all like the Sam Adams "Octoberfest" beer that comes out seasonally? It is very popular around these parts come the fall. I tried it and it's not "bad" but I didn't understand where all the hype was coming from. Again, it's probably just my taste buds. I'm not tasting what they are type thing.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I plan on picking up some Monday Night Bourbon Barrel-Aged Drafty Kilt soon. Love it.

Locally, Good People has a good fall season one - Mumbai Rye. TrimTab has a Christmas seasonal - Cranberry Spice Berliner, which is a very good Winter beer for those that don't like dark stuff.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I plan on picking up some Monday Night Bourbon Barrel-Aged Drafty Kilt soon. Love it.

Locally, Good People has a good fall season one - Mumbai Rye. TrimTab has a Christmas seasonal - Cranberry Spice Berliner, which is a very good Winter beer for those that don't like dark stuff.
monday night's garage (their second location) opened last year on the beltline not too far from our house. it's on the list for one of our date nights.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
When my daughter and her husband bought their restaurant in the French Alps, they had two taps with hard cider ("cidre") and one with a local beer. They took out the local beer and put in Stella. (They have numerous Belgian and Dutch guests.) The Stella didn't sell. The cider sold like hotcakes, at least in the summer. They took the Stella back out and put in a local, Savoie, brew. Kept the cider, although how it will sell in winter is a question mark...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
When my daughter and her husband bought their restaurant in the French Alps, they had two taps with hard cider ("cidre") and one with a local beer. They took out the local beer and put in Stella. (They have numerous Belgian and Dutch guests.) The Stella didn't sell. The cider sold like hotcakes, at least in the summer. They took the Stella back out and put in a local, Savoie, brew. Kept the cider, although how it will sell in winter is a question mark...
i've been to a few places in germany with light and dark as the two draught beer choices.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
i've been to a few places in germany with light and dark as the two draught beer choices.
We used to stay in one hotel near Interlaken, where the brewery (Rügenbräu) was right across the road. The choices were "ein Grosses," or "ein Kleines"... :)

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I might have to send you a couple cans of Singin' River Brewing's Bourbon-barrel-aged Imperial Stout, Bourbon Ghost Bridge. :biggrin2:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
picked up some ten fidy for the holidays.

the guy at the store told me oskar blues is revamping everything and that ten fidy is probably going away :(

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

i had a nitro drafty kilt last night and it was pretty tasty

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
One of the "white elephant" gifts at my office was something called "holiday beer". I don't know if the person who ended up with it has tried one. It was just a bunch of flavored beers with a Christmas theme.

I ended up with the only other alcohol gift. A caramel liquor to add to coffee or my favorite dessert. I have not opened it yet.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.