News Article: The Weekly Standard ceases publication

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
The Weekly Standard, a primary voice of conservative Washington that found itself out of step with the Trumpward turn in the Republican Party, is ceasing publication after 23 years, its owners announced on Friday.
The cause of death was financial, ideological or personal, depending on who was doing the telling.
The magazine’s parent company, Clarity Media Group, cited a steep decline in subscriptions and revenues. But editorial leadership had clashed with ownership in some instances over its critical coverage of President Trump and the hard-right views of his defenders.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/14/business/media/weekly-standard-closing.html

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
Life and business usually gives you exactly what you ask for. We do reap what we sow.

The Weekly Standard was loosely based on William F. Buckley's conservative philosophy. This eliminated at least 50% of the populace who would never pick up the magazine.

In an increasing effort to reclaim some of the lost 50%, they drifted from a conservative magazine to more of a centrist magazine. This still didn't increase the readership and alienated a large portion of those that did subscribe. In a do or die effort they went all in with the anti Trump movement thus losing what readership they had remaining.

If you try to please everybody, you'll end up pleasing no one.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Life and business usually gives you exactly what you ask for. We do reap what we sow.

The Weekly Standard was loosely based on William F. Buckley's conservative philosophy. This eliminated at least 50% of the populace who would never pick up the magazine.

In an increasing effort to reclaim some of the lost 50%, they drifted from a conservative magazine to more of a centrist magazine. This still didn't increase the readership and alienated a large portion of those that did subscribe. In a do or die effort they went all in with the anti Trump movement thus losing what readership they had remaining.

The National Review today isn't the National Review of William Buckley's time on Earth.

Just as Buckley rightly called out the John Birch Society, I think he would be doing the same with Trumpland.

There aren't any Buckleys left in the modern conservative movement.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
The National Review today isn't the National Review of William Buckley's time on Earth.

Just as Buckley rightly called out the John Birch Society, I think he would be doing the same with Trumpland.

There aren't any Buckleys left in the modern conservative movement.
George Will is still alive but and has tried to push back against Trumpism but yeah, they don't care

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States

I honestly think Bill Krystol doesnt like Trump. If he had capitulated and gone along, then they wouldn't be folding.
And I'm glad hes stood up for what he believes in.
I dont always agree with him, but he seems a solid principled guy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I honestly think Bill Krystol doesnt like Trump. If he had capitulated and gone along, then they wouldn't be folding.

solid principled guys are a dying breed in the GOP, have been for some time

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Bill Krystol NEVER liked Trump. Most true die hard conservatives don’t, because Trump was never an ideologue. The corporate opportunists in Congress don’t qualify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Bill Krystol NEVER liked Trump. Most true die hard conservatives don’t, because Trump was never an ideologue. The corporate opportunists in Congress don’t qualify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They loved him just enough to get him elected. And he can do just about anything as long as he signs bills and appoints judges that they like.

People say you should punch Nazis. I want to punch people who come to Jesus when doing so would no longer make any difference. Starting with people like Jeff Flake.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
They loved him just enough to get him elected. And he can do just about anything as long as he signs bills and appoints judges that they like.

People say you should punch Nazis. I want to punch people who come to Jesus when doing so would no longer make any difference. Starting with people like Jeff Flake.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.