News Article: The Weekly Standard ceases publication

The Weekly Standard ceases publication

The Weekly Standard, a primary voice of conservative Washington that found itself out of step with the Trumpward turn in the Republican Party, is ceasing publication after 23 years, its owners announced on Friday.
    The cause of death was financial, ideological or personal, depending on who was doing the telling.
    The magazineís parent company, Clarity Media Group, cited a steep decline in subscriptions and revenues. But editorial leadership had clashed with ownership in some instances over its critical coverage of President Trump and the hard-right views of his defenders.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/14/b...d-closing.html

BamaNation First Team Its On A Slab's Avatar

Re: The Weekly Standard ceases publication

I feel old. I remember when this publication got started.

I suppose they didn't have a readership since, if you are not a Trump fanboy, you are not welcome in the conservative movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Its On A Slab View Post
    I feel old. I remember when this publication got started.

I suppose they didn't have a readership since, if you are not a Trump fanboy, you are not welcome in the conservative movement.
    Trump fanboys don't read anything longer than a tweet
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

BamaNation First Team

Life and business usually gives you exactly what you ask for. We do reap what we sow.

The Weekly Standard was loosely based on William F. Buckley's conservative philosophy. This eliminated at least 50% of the populace who would never pick up the magazine.

In an increasing effort to reclaim some of the lost 50%, they drifted from a conservative magazine to more of a centrist magazine. This still didn't increase the readership and alienated a large portion of those that did subscribe. In a do or die effort they went all in with the anti Trump movement thus losing what readership they had remaining.

If you try to please everybody, you'll end up pleasing no one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbaloo View Post
    Life and business usually gives you exactly what you ask for. We do reap what we sow.

The Weekly Standard was loosely based on William F. Buckley's conservative philosophy. This eliminated at least 50% of the populace who would never pick up the magazine.

In an increasing effort to reclaim some of the lost 50%, they drifted from a conservative magazine to more of a centrist magazine. This still didn't increase the readership and alienated a large portion of those that did subscribe. In a do or die effort they went all in with the anti Trump movement thus losing what readership they had remaining.

The National Review today isn't the National Review of William Buckley's time on Earth.

Just as Buckley rightly called out the John Birch Society, I think he would be doing the same with Trumpland.

There aren't any Buckleys left in the modern conservative movement.

The National Review today isn't the National Review of William Buckley's time on Earth.

Just as Buckley rightly called out the John Birch Society, I think he would be doing the same with Trumpland.

There aren't any Buckleys left in the modern conservative movement.
    George Will is still alive but and has tried to push back against Trumpism but yeah, they don't care
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbaloo View Post

I honestly think Bill Krystol doesnt like Trump. If he had capitulated and gone along, then they wouldn't be folding.
    And I'm glad hes stood up for what he believes in.
    I dont always agree with him, but he seems a solid principled guy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kyla_mg View Post
    I honestly think Bill Krystol doesnt like Trump. If he had capitulated and gone along, then they wouldn't be folding.

solid principled guys are a dying breed in the GOP, have been for some time

BamaNation Hall of Fame

The Weekly Standard ceases publication

Quote Originally Posted by kyla_mg View Post

Bill Krystol NEVER liked Trump. Most true die hard conservatives donít, because Trump was never an ideologue. The corporate opportunists in Congress donít qualify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by twofbyc; December 17th, 2018 at 05:32 PM.
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

Quote Originally Posted by twofbyc View Post
    Bill Krystol NEVER liked Trump. Most true die hard conservatives don’t, because Trump was never an ideologue. The corporate opportunists in Congress don’t qualify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They loved him just enough to get him elected. And he can do just about anything as long as he signs bills and appoints judges that they like.

People say you should punch Nazis. I want to punch people who come to Jesus when doing so would no longer make any difference. Starting with people like Jeff Flake.

They loved him just enough to get him elected. And he can do just about anything as long as he signs bills and appoints judges that they like.

People say you should punch Nazis. I want to punch people who come to Jesus when doing so would no longer make any difference. Starting with people like Jeff Flake.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon