Link: Charlie Spegal: High School Back Still Seeking Attention from colleges - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Re: Charlie Spegal: High School Back Still Seeking Attention from colleges

Quote Originally Posted by ccc2259 View Post
    From all accounts the kid's a gamer and tough as nails.....his speed (or lack of) would seem to me to be the hurdle.
    4.6 / 40 for his size is pretty fast.....

he ain't 15% "Acinonyx jubatus" but that's pretty fast
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation All-American ccc2259's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    4.6 / 40 for his size is pretty fast.....he ain't 15% "Acinonyx jubatus" but that's pretty fast
    You're right about that.......but my uncalibrated eyes see his top-end speed would be a concern.......
    "Bryant can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n." -- Houston Oiler head coach Bum Phillips, a former player under Coach Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by Padreruf View Post
    My point precisely...4-5 star athletes are usually fully mature physically...others may be still growing into their bodies, etc. The question of evaluation is really this: "How will that person look as a player in 2-3 years?
    At Alabama's level, coaches can't look at how a guy *might* look 2-3 years down the road. They need guys ready to play right away or within a year or two. Yes, some take their time to get in the rotation, but those guys already have some traits the staff desires.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    At Alabama's level, coaches can't look at how a guy *might* look 2-3 years down the road. They need guys ready to play right away or within a year or two. Yes, some take their time to get in the rotation, but those guys already have some traits the staff desires.
    This for the most part. We can risk it on a guy like Q, Ingram this year, and Harris. Because we see they are already superior athletes. Or Bogle coming up.

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Why couldn't they? Missing on a player or 2 is common, even for the best of programs. BTW, you added "might" -- I didn't have that. It's at best of roll of the dice...
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ccc2259 View Post
    You're right about that.......but my uncalibrated eyes see his top-end speed would be a concern.......
    All I want is a lightning fast thirty feet, we can live with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

Why couldn't they? Missing on a player or 2 is common, even for the best of programs. BTW, you added "might" -- I didn't have that. It's at best of roll of the dice...
    Because a staff never hits all 25 guys already, so they aren't going to risk not taking a top level guy on someone that isn't even comparable because in 2-3 years he might be better.

I'm saying might because it's all a guess.

Back to the original post about this - Saban uses the formula and system Gil Brandt started at the Cowboys. It has a nice track record, so why are the coaches going to reach on a few players each year based on what might be?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

This is great...but then you miss the kids like Nick Mullens who is now starting in the NFL. You can't measure heart...at least that's what CPB said.
    It's like when you play Blackjack, you have to play by the rules no matter what if you want to consistently have a chance to win and Bama has "rules" in recruiting and we stick to it. Our success rate percentage is pretty amazing.

BamaNation Second Team crimsonseal12's Avatar

https://247sports.com/Player/Charlie-Spegal-46058076/

So I agree with what most of you guys are saying. But, according to 247sports he is in the 2020 class. The article is a little miss leading, unless of course,
    247 has it wrong. But with his size, speed (4.6-40), and strength would be a great short down, H-back, and blocker for the tailbacks. watch the video, lays a tremendous block on the DE.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonseal12 View Post
    https://247sports.com/Player/Charlie-Spegal-46058076/

So I agree with what most of you guys are saying. But, according to 247sports he is in the 2020 class. The article is a little miss leading, unless of course,
    247 has it wrong. But with his size, speed (4.6-40), and strength would be a great short down, H-back, and blocker for the tailbacks. watch the video, lays a tremendous block on the DE.
    http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/char...Dg/default.htm

He's a junior. So he would be a senior next year.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation Hall of Fame CHATTBRIT's Avatar

The kid has got to be pretty smart and of good character if he is being recruited by Navy. Perhaps he should stay in the Big whatever as they tend to be a tad slower than the SEC.
    Manchester City 2017-2018 English Premier League Champions & Carabou Cup Winners
    My basset hound, Henry. 10-14-1998 - 04-09-2012
    Remembering Victor Ellis #9
    I would rather burn an American flag to protect the Constitution than burn the Constitution to protect the American flag

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

Just for the record...I am 100% for CNS' metrics in evaluating talent. It works...just have to know that there are outliers in every situation. I am amazed when I watch a pro game to see how many players there are from lesser schools...
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    4.6 / 40 for his size is pretty fast.....

he ain't 15% "Acinonyx jubatus" but that's pretty fast
    it's not slow, but it's not really fast either. At 220+ Brian Robinson ran a 4.4. D. Harris and Jabobs both run 4.5.

That said, looking at this kids film and he appears to run very tight, almost like he's fighting against himself with every stride. A good running form coach might be able to smooth some of that out and take .1-.15 off his 40. He gets into the 4.5 range and I'd think he'd get noticed some.

Also kinda have to wonder what the competition level is in his league. On some of those runs, either his OL is full of college prospects of the opposing DL and LBs are aweful because he wasn't touched till he got to the S a lot of times. Some of that was good vision and explosion from him, but some of it was bad D...