Link: Charlie Spegal: High School Back Still Seeking Attention from colleges
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Charlie Spegal: High School Back Still Seeking Attention from colleges

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...aign=editorial

As historic as his 70-touchdown season was, it did not emerge out of thin air. The junior transferred from Delta High School before this past season, having played against New Palestine and his current teammates the previous year.
    As a freshman at Delta, Charlie ran for 1,958 yards and scored 17 touchdowns. His sophomore year, he totaled 2,385 rushing yards and 33 scores.
    "He's definitely the most physical runner I've ever seen," senior New Palestine lineman Alex Cotterman says. "He absolutely loves contact. As physically as he runs, he doesn't fumble, and he can catch the ball. I don't understand how he hasn't been recruited more."
    His statistics from this past season could've been even better. Charlie didnít appear in roughly half of his team's fourth quarters this season because the score was so lopsided. He often didn't log a single carry in the second half.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation All-SEC

Re: Charlie Spegal: High School Back Still Seeking Attention from colleges

If Bama offers, he will suddenly get a bunch more offers....... might be worth a look

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

No real offers doesnít make much sense.

Sometimes players simply get overlooked because they donít fit a ďtypeĒ. Numbers say this kid can play (and contribute) but I get the feeling the college coaches canít figure out where.

While I know baseball and football are vastly different, it is similar to what my son experienced in that sport. He was small (5í10 175) and was a pitcher/middle infielder. Fastball in low 80ís as junior in high school (small school 3A) but great ERA, strikeout to walk ratio and win percentage, including very solid performances against higher classification schools. He went to showcases and performed well. But every coach in attendance seem locked on the pitchers ďsix foot or taller with a fastball in the upper 80ísĒ.
    It wasnít until the third round of the state playoffs as a senior that one of the four year schools took notice (several JCís were talking with him) while they were there scouting a player on the other team. He threw a three hitter, gave up one earned run, walked two and struck out six in the win. And that night was hitting 86-87 mph on the gun.

He then had 3 schools offer him the chance to ďwalk onĒ. However by that time he had decided not to play in college.

This kid will get offers late....once coaches figure out that all kids donít need to fit a type in order to help you win.
    Last edited by CB4; December 18th, 2018 at 08:41 AM.

BamaNation All-American AlistarWills's Avatar

Alabama has a formula for recruiting for each position. Height/weight/40/cone drill/etc. A player is evaluated and if you donít fit the numbers, you wonít be recruited. Itís cold but it works. I highly recommend Phil Savageís book ď4th and Goal EverydayĒ if you want a peek inside The Process from recruiting to player development. Itís very insightful, especially when you see players like this and wonder why they donít get offered.

BamaNation All-American ccc2259's Avatar

From all accounts the kid's a gamer and tough as nails.....his speed (or lack of) would seem to me to be the hurdle.
    "Bryant can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n." -- Houston Oiler head coach Bum Phillips, a former player under Coach Bryant

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlistarWills View Post
    Alabama has a formula for recruiting for each position. Height/weight/40/cone drill/etc. A player is evaluated and if you don’t fit the numbers, you won’t be recruited. It’s cold but it works. I highly recommend Phil Savage’s book “4th and Goal Everyday” if you want a peek inside The Process from recruiting to player development. It’s very insightful, especially when you see players like this and wonder why they don’t get offered.
    This is great...but then you miss the kids like Nick Mullens who is now starting in the NFL. You can't measure heart...at least that's what CPB said.
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Padreruf View Post
    This is great...but then you miss the kids like Nick Mullens who is now starting in the NFL. You can't measure heart...at least that's what CPB said.
    Fair, but you have to admit that Saban's system works.

Quote Originally Posted by AlistarWills View Post
    Alabama has a formula for recruiting for each position. Height/weight/40/cone drill/etc. A player is evaluated and if you donít fit the numbers, you wonít be recruited. Itís cold but it works. I highly recommend Phil Savageís book ď4th and Goal EverydayĒ if you want a peek inside The Process from recruiting to player development. Itís very insightful, especially when you see players like this and wonder why they donít get offered.
    It is a GREAT read!

BamaNation All-American AlistarWills's Avatar

This is true and itís something discussed in the book. There are those that donít meet the numbers that end up being stars. But, the formula works so much more than it doesnít work. Big guys beat up smaller guys more often than not.

You mean the Nick Mullens that was 6'0 and 170 pounds coming out of Spain Park in 2013?

Some guys fall through the cracks. Others might know the game but haven't physically matured yet. It's just part of it.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    You mean the Nick Mullens that was 6'0 and 170 pounds coming out of Spain Park in 2013?

Some guys fall through the cracks. Others might know the game but haven't physically matured yet. It's just part of it.
    My point precisely...4-5 star athletes are usually fully mature physically...others may be still growing into their bodies, etc. The question of evaluation is really this: "How will that person look as a player in 2-3 years?
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

My point precisely...4-5 star athletes are usually fully mature physically...others may be still growing into their bodies, etc. The question of evaluation is really this: "How will that person look as a player in 2-3 years?
    Not to sound snarky, but unless they have clear indicators (like parents who are athletes and developed physically late), this is a total crap shoot. Saban is not going to play craps with his team. Other teams have to - Alabama does not.