Link: Charlie Spegal: High School Back Still Seeking Attention from colleges

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

As historic as his 70-touchdown season was, it did not emerge out of thin air. The junior transferred from Delta High School before this past season, having played against New Palestine and his current teammates the previous year.
As a freshman at Delta, Charlie ran for 1,958 yards and scored 17 touchdowns. His sophomore year, he totaled 2,385 rushing yards and 33 scores.
"He's definitely the most physical runner I've ever seen," senior New Palestine lineman Alex Cotterman says. "He absolutely loves contact. As physically as he runs, he doesn't fumble, and he can catch the ball. I don't understand how he hasn't been recruited more."
His statistics from this past season could've been even better. Charlie didn’t appear in roughly half of his team's fourth quarters this season because the score was so lopsided. He often didn't log a single carry in the second half.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Sometimes players simply get overlooked because they don’t fit a “type”. Numbers say this kid can play (and contribute) but I get the feeling the college coaches can’t figure out where.

While I know baseball and football are vastly different, it is similar to what my son experienced in that sport. He was small (5’10 175) and was a pitcher/middle infielder. Fastball in low 80’s as junior in high school (small school 3A) but great ERA, strikeout to walk ratio and win percentage, including very solid performances against higher classification schools. He went to showcases and performed well. But every coach in attendance seem locked on the pitchers “six foot or taller with a fastball in the upper 80’s”.
It wasn’t until the third round of the state playoffs as a senior that one of the four year schools took notice (several JC’s were talking with him) while they were there scouting a player on the other team. He threw a three hitter, gave up one earned run, walked two and struck out six in the win. And that night was hitting 86-87 mph on the gun.

He then had 3 schools offer him the chance to “walk on”. However by that time he had decided not to play in college.

This kid will get offers late....once coaches figure out that all kids don’t need to fit a type in order to help you win.

Last edited:

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Alabama has a formula for recruiting for each position. Height/weight/40/cone drill/etc. A player is evaluated and if you don’t fit the numbers, you won’t be recruited. It’s cold but it works. I highly recommend Phil Savage’s book “4th and Goal Everyday” if you want a peek inside The Process from recruiting to player development. It’s very insightful, especially when you see players like this and wonder why they don’t get offered.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Alabama has a formula for recruiting for each position. Height/weight/40/cone drill/etc. A player is evaluated and if you don’t fit the numbers, you won’t be recruited. It’s cold but it works. I highly recommend Phil Savage’s book “4th and Goal Everyday” if you want a peek inside The Process from recruiting to player development. It’s very insightful, especially when you see players like this and wonder why they don’t get offered.
This is great...but then you miss the kids like Nick Mullens who is now starting in the NFL. You can't measure heart...at least that's what CPB said.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is great...but then you miss the kids like Nick Mullens who is now starting in the NFL. You can't measure heart...at least that's what CPB said.
Fair, but you have to admit that Saban's system works.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
It is a GREAT read!

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
This is true and it’s something discussed in the book. There are those that don’t meet the numbers that end up being stars. But, the formula works so much more than it doesn’t work. Big guys beat up smaller guys more often than not.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
You mean the Nick Mullens that was 6'0 and 170 pounds coming out of Spain Park in 2013?

Some guys fall through the cracks. Others might know the game but haven't physically matured yet. It's just part of it.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
You mean the Nick Mullens that was 6'0 and 170 pounds coming out of Spain Park in 2013?

Some guys fall through the cracks. Others might know the game but haven't physically matured yet. It's just part of it.
My point precisely...4-5 star athletes are usually fully mature physically...others may be still growing into their bodies, etc. The question of evaluation is really this: "How will that person look as a player in 2-3 years?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My point precisely...4-5 star athletes are usually fully mature physically...others may be still growing into their bodies, etc. The question of evaluation is really this: "How will that person look as a player in 2-3 years?
Not to sound snarky, but unless they have clear indicators (like parents who are athletes and developed physically late), this is a total crap shoot. Saban is not going to play craps with his team. Other teams have to - Alabama does not.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
At Alabama's level, coaches can't look at how a guy *might* look 2-3 years down the road. They need guys ready to play right away or within a year or two. Yes, some take their time to get in the rotation, but those guys already have some traits the staff desires.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
At Alabama's level, coaches can't look at how a guy *might* look 2-3 years down the road. They need guys ready to play right away or within a year or two. Yes, some take their time to get in the rotation, but those guys already have some traits the staff desires.
This for the most part. We can risk it on a guy like Q, Ingram this year, and Harris. Because we see they are already superior athletes. Or Bogle coming up.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Why couldn't they? Missing on a player or 2 is common, even for the best of programs. BTW, you added "might" -- I didn't have that. It's at best of roll of the dice...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Why couldn't they? Missing on a player or 2 is common, even for the best of programs. BTW, you added "might" -- I didn't have that. It's at best of roll of the dice...
Because a staff never hits all 25 guys already, so they aren't going to risk not taking a top level guy on someone that isn't even comparable because in 2-3 years he might be better.

I'm saying might because it's all a guess.

Back to the original post about this - Saban uses the formula and system Gil Brandt started at the Cowboys. It has a nice track record, so why are the coaches going to reach on a few players each year based on what might be?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.