Anoma not at Practice Today (update: he's back)

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Re: Anoma not at Practice Today

Maybe you aren't around 18/19 year olds often. Just suggesting his thought process. Imagine being in line behind just Jennings and now you are in line behind Jennings and Lewis AFTER the entire season. It's a blow to an ego.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Maybe you aren't around 18/19 year olds often. Just suggesting his thought process. Imagine being in line behind just Jennings and now you are in line behind Jennings and Lewis AFTER the entire season. It's a blow to an ego.
Most 18/19 year olds these days struggle with being able to deal with any type of adversity

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

Just listened to the Capstone Report guy (Martin Houston) on 102.9, apparently he was recruited by Coach Lock and there was some discussion about being distracted and/or maybe wanting to follow Lock north, but the thinking appears to be he will stay put.
I am assuming you mean he was originally recruited by CML...not that he was currently being recruited to leave.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Most 18/19 year olds these days struggle with being able to deal with any type of adversity
I think that a lot of the transfers are driven by people other than the players themselves. Friends and family are in the ears of these guys, and too often provide poor advice.

But, again, with Anoma we have no idea what is happening. Until we hear otherwise, I think that we should assume that he wants to be at Alabama and that this is not about a potential transfer.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Worth remembering this season would have been Anoma's third season of football ever. While a 5*, he was still pretty raw coming out of high school.

This could be more than what many want to think - a kid not being patient for his turn.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

I disagree with the assessment on Jennings. Last I saw, he was projected by some as 2nd round now, another year post injury and he may become a game changer. Anoma had some chances last year, but had some bone headed penalties that probably kept him on the bench more than planned. Not a lot of playing time for freshmen that make 15 yard penalties on third down . I watched him every time he got on the field expecting something great to happen. He had flashes but mistakes kept him off the field. Nothing another spring and fall camp can’t cure! And the time in between with coach Cochran!

BJ4TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 11, 2007

I'm pumped to hear he was back at practice. I think he is going to develop into a monster off the edge. Am I correct in my memory that he has only been playing since his junior year in high school? If so, his freshman(college) season was only his third year. No surprise there were some mistakes made.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

One wonders why. Could it be that our society in general goes out of its way to shield younger kids from any type of adversity and failure? How can you learn to deal with the inevitable losses and challenges that life will present if you`re never exposed to them, hopefully gradually, earlier in life? IMHO, a by product of the " participation trophies for everyone " approach.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

One wonders why. Could it be that our society in general goes out of its way to shield younger kids from any type of adversity and failure? How can you learn to deal with the inevitable losses and challenges that life will present if you`re never exposed to them, hopefully gradually, earlier in life? IMHO, a by product of the " participation trophies for everyone " approach.
Not to venture into NS territory too far..... I don't know think it's the participation trophy syndrome. To me, that detracts from achievement more than anything. I think it's more because as a society we are willing to accept any and all behavior as kids grow. So, whenever something doesn't break for some of these kids in a way they think it should (especially for elite talented kids) -- they just can't cope. Because prior to today -- they could do, act, say what they want without any resistance.

Take my ball and go home.....sit in my room and veg out on the video game......avoid talking to anyone other than on social media......and hope someone comes by to baby me back to calm.

I see it with my own -- to a much lesser degree because I always push them hard to figure things out on their own -- and come to me once you've exhausted your options.

But, these are the future leaders.....I hope I die peacefully in my sleep when I'm 90 (because I'm not anxious for this generation to be the ones who take care of me)

This may have nothing to do with the young man at all.....so, steering back to Football.....glad he seems to be okay....

The irony of it all? We are likely the ones to blame.....because we built this house of cards....

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

It is all parenting. My boys are 18 and 21, and they are very strong and independent young men. My oldest is already juggling competing job offers from corporate teams and my youngest is headed to the Navy because he wants to serve. There are a lot more young men like my boys out there than you would believe. Young men with parents who were more interested in parenting than making friends of their children.

There is a huge subset of kids with friends for parents and it just doesn't work. Those kids will live in their parents' basements their entire lives.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

It is all parenting. My boys are 18 and 21, and they are very strong and independent young men. My oldest is already juggling competing job offers from corporate teams and my youngest is headed to the Navy because he wants to serve. There are a lot more young men like my boys out there than you would believe. Young men with parents who were more interested in parenting than making friends of their children.

There is a huge subset of kids with friends for parents and it just doesn't work. Those kids will live in their parents' basements their entire lives.
Could not agree more, B1G, with what you and Cajun said.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Not to venture into NS territory too far..... I don't know think it's the participation trophy syndrome. To me, that detracts from achievement more than anything. I think it's more because as a society we are willing to accept any and all behavior as kids grow. So, whenever something doesn't break for some of these kids in a way they think it should (especially for elite talented kids) -- they just can't cope. Because prior to today -- they could do, act, say what they want without any resistance.

Take my ball and go home.....sit in my room and veg out on the video game......avoid talking to anyone other than on social media......and hope someone comes by to baby me back to calm.

I see it with my own -- to a much lesser degree because I always push them hard to figure things out on their own -- and come to me once you've exhausted your options.

But, these are the future leaders.....I hope I die peacefully in my sleep when I'm 90 (because I'm not anxious for this generation to be the ones who take care of me)

This may have nothing to do with the young man at all.....so, steering back to Football.....glad he seems to be okay....

The irony of it all? We are likely the ones to blame.....because we built this house of cards....
Interesting take. I wonder if it could have something to do with parents living thru their kids and pushing them to excell and it just puts too much pressure on kids???

When I was a kid I was allowed to experiement with sports and figure out the ones that I could/could not play. That experience taught me there were somethings I'd never be able to do at a high level and it helped me determine the sports I could play and my parents just let me figure it out. I hear too many stories of kids being told by coaches and parents they must stick to just one sport. Makes it too serious and adds so much pressure!

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Interesting take. I wonder if it could have something to do with parents living thru their kids and pushing them to excell and it just puts too much pressure on kids???

When I was a kid I was allowed to experiement with sports and figure out the ones that I could/could not play. That experience taught me there were somethings I'd never be able to do at a high level and it helped me determine the sports I could play and my parents just let me figure it out. I hear too many stories of kids being told by coaches and parents they must stick to just one sport. Makes it too serious and adds so much pressure!
My Dad was an excellent football player in high school, set a scoring record that stood for over 20 years. Never pressured me to play. The only thing he ever told me was that he wanted me to play on some kind of team. Didn`t matter if it was football, basketball, debate, tiddlywinks. He just thought there were things you could learn where others were depending upon you to do your job for the accomplishment of a goal bigger than any one person. He was so right, God rest his soul. Miss you Dad and Merry Christmas.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.