Justin Fields Leaving Georgia - also Luke Ford

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Re: Justin Fields Leaving Georgia

Fields ceiling is MUCH HIGHER than Jalen! Not even close...Fields along with the Lawrence kid and Tua have all three been called "generational QB talents". Watch this play out over the next 3 years and beyond in the NFL and you'll see.
color me unconvinced based on the amount Ive seen on a loaded offense.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Fields ceiling is MUCH HIGHER than Jalen! Not even close...Fields along with the Lawrence kid and Tua have all three been called "generational QB talents". Watch this play out over the next 3 years and beyond in the NFL and you'll see.
well, he may end up being a generational talent at qb, but he didn't show much in the chances he had this season.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: Justin Fields (potentially) Leaving Georgia

I can remember 2-3 playing in the wishbone days...but not 6. But then my memory is not nearly what your is!!!
I stand slightly corrected. We did have a sixth person throw a pass in 1981, but we employed five quarterbacks for the season:

Walter Lewis (generally considered the starter)
Alan Gray (generally considered a better passer, but we didn't pass that much)
Ken Coley
Paul Fields
Andy Martin (who was in mop up duty rarely)

I remember us having four a few times, too:
1982 - Walter, Coley, Fields, Perry Cuda
1980 - Don Jacobs, Walter, Fields
1979 - Shealy (starter), Jacobs, Gray, and Mike Landrum
1978 - Jeff Rutledge (Shealy played sparingly)
1977 - five on roster but Rutledge the clear starter
1976 - see 1977
1975 - Richard Todd, Rutledge, Robert Fraley (the actual #2 that year)

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

Some kids don't have this. I think of Robert Foster. He wasn't an impact player at Alabama, but he stuck it out and is contributing a lot to the Bills this year.
Mitch Mustain also to a lesser extent. Yes he did transfer to (a crowded QB group) USC but after it became apparent he would not be a full time starter there, he decided to just stick it out until his college days were over.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama

I wonder what Fields was expecting when he came to UGA. He had to have known Fromm was there and that he was coming off a great freshman season. Did he think he was going to unseat Fromm in his first season?

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

I wonder what Fields was expecting when he came to UGA. He had to have known Fromm was there and that he was coming off a great freshman season. Did he think he was going to unseat Fromm in his first season?
yes, and he has a loud support system that tells him that he should have

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama

yes, and he has a loud support system that tells him that he should have
I was wondering what sort of support structure he has around him. That sounds like he has a toxic support structure around him. It's harmful to be surrounded by people who tear us up, but it's also harmful to be around people who artificially prop us up. That's a big red flag. I would be wary of picking him up if I was a college coach.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

I have said before in this thread that this is the fault of his family, especially his father. 18 year olds are generally not capable of making rational decisions, then it falls to the family, usually the father, to understand this and advise his son to go where he can play. The family gets caught up in the recruiting hype and a recruiter's hyperbole and thinks his son can unseat a true sophomore who led his team to the NC finals. I probably would have advised Tua, if he were my son, to go somewhere besides Alabama who had the SEC player of the year returning as a sophomore. Our situation worked out, UGA's didn't.

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN

I don't care where you go there will always be someone bigger, faster, better, smarter, tougher, ect. That's just part of life and sticking it out and competing builds character. Quitting and going somewhere else may prove beneficial for a while, but who knows who might transfer in or be recruited that may be better than you.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018

Oh no....who is going to run the fake punt play?

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

I’m sure Kirby used the “I played a true freshman last year” quote.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

I have said before in this thread that this is the fault of his family, especially his father. 18 year olds are generally not capable of making rational decisions, then it falls to the family, usually the father, to understand this and advise his son to go where he can play. The family gets caught up in the recruiting hype and a recruiter's hyperbole and thinks his son can unseat a true sophomore who led his team to the NC finals. I probably would have advised Tua, if he were my son, to go somewhere besides Alabama who had the SEC player of the year returning as a sophomore. Our situation worked out, UGA's didn't.
It has taken a lot of juggling to keep Jalen and Tua on the field...
Got to remember that Jalen came in and unseated several pretty good prospects.
(We thought)
Tua came in with a different skill set and when we needed help in the Championship last year, Tua was the man. A star was born...
This year Tua unseated Jalen , but when we needed help in the SEC Championship Game, Jalen was the man. A star was born, again...

I love these guys.

Meanwhile down South in The Loveliest Village on the Plain...
Gus finished another year, not really knowing who his QB starter was...
All that needs to be said is:

S.N.A.S.S.

Last edited:

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018

Tua and Fromm may go 1-2 but some yet to be named grad transfer to OU will average 400 yards per game and win the Heisman.

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017

Another reason to marvel at the skills of Saban. It looks like luck because he makes things look so easy. He took a seemingly impossible situation with Tua and Jalen and made it work out. I can't even imagine how much I'm going to miss him when he's gone.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.