Justin Fields Leaving Georgia - also Luke Ford - Page 7
Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast
Results 79 to 91 of 399
  1. #79
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Posts
    41,398

    Re: Justin Fields (potentially) Leaving Georgia

    Potentially now?

  2. Advertisement
  3. #80
    BamaNation All-American Con's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    South Alabama
    Posts
    3,444

    Re: Justin Fields (potentially) Leaving Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I think Kirby showed his immaturity as a Coach in player management with Fields this year.

    What little I saw of Georgia, the times Fields would enter the game where basically just wasted snaps that robbed the Georgia offense of a successful series.

    He did it once or twice in the Bama game. One time, late in the game and it put Georgia in a 2nd and long at a very bad time in the game.

    Welcome to the big time of managing stars Kirby!
    The mistakes couldn't happen to a nicer coach either.

  4. #81
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    11,100

    Re: Justin Fields (potentially) Leaving Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by spidermayin View Post
    I don't like this attitude of "I'm not the star here, so let me transfer to a school where I can be the star". Quarterbacks coming out of high school these days want instant gratification. I know Fields is really talented, but it's not like Fromm was doing terrible as the starting QB. The argument may be "Well, Fields has a higher ceiling". That might be true, but I would argue that his ceiling is not much higher than Fromm's.
    I don't think it as simple as you make it out to be.

    We may only know half of the story...and with Kirby in Fields ear in recruitment...who knows???

  5. #82
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    20,839

    Re: Justin Fields (potentially) Leaving Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by spidermayin View Post
    I don't like this attitude of "I'm not the star here, so let me transfer to a school where I can be the star". Quarterbacks coming out of high school these days want instant gratification. I know Fields is really talented, but it's not like Fromm was doing terrible as the starting QB. The argument may be "Well, Fields has a higher ceiling". That might be true, but I would argue that his ceiling is not much higher than Fromm's.
    After watching Fromm play the second half of the season this year, I think that he has all of the tools. He is not elusive, but he can step up in the pocket and make a pass under pressure. IMO, he is every bit as talented as the crop of QBs who were just drafted this year (with the possible exception of Mayfield).

    Fields was solid this year as a TF, but so was Fromm last year, also as a TF. Fields was told that he could play this year, and he did. But at some point the team has to come first. If Fields is bothered by that, then he needs to find a different vocation because no matter where he goes, the team is always going to be first. And if he thinks that he deserves to play ahead of Fromm, then he is blind.

    So it amounts to patience. He lost the battle for the starting job and he isn't going to win it next year. Does he have the patience to stick it out or not?

  6. #83
    BamaNation All-American Con's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    South Alabama
    Posts
    3,444

    Re: Justin Fields (potentially) Leaving Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    After watching Fromm play the second half of the season this year, I think that he has all of the tools. He is not elusive, but he can step up in the pocket and make a pass under pressure. IMO, he is every bit as talented as the crop of QBs who were just drafted this year (with the possible exception of Mayfield).

    Fields was solid this year as a TF, but so was Fromm last year, also as a TF. Fields was told that he could play this year, and he did. But at some point the team has to come first. If Fields is bothered by that, then he needs to find a different vocation because no matter where he goes, the team is always going to be first. And if he thinks that he deserves to play ahead of Fromm, then he is blind.

    So it amounts to patience. He lost the battle for the starting job and he isn't going to win it next year. Does he have the patience to stick it out or not?
    Some kids don't have this. I think of Robert Foster. He wasn't an impact player at Alabama, but he stuck it out and is contributing a lot to the Bills this year.

  7. #84
    BamaNation All-SEC CoachJeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Shelby County Alabama
    Posts
    1,920

    Re: Justin Fields (potentially) Leaving Georgia

    Fields saw more playing time his freshman year than Tua did, at least during the regular season.
    ----
    B.A. from The University of Alabama (during the Fran/Shula years) so don't question my fandom.

  8. #85
    BamaNation First Team The Ols's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cumming,Ga.
    Posts
    990

    Re: Justin Fields Leaving Georgia

    The FOOD for thought is that your cupboard is bare at the QB spot...
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgByte View Post
    Not a done deal yet, but if I was a betting man I'd lean towards Fields transferring. Chip Towers provides the latest below:

    https://www.dawgnation.com/football/...a-decision-yet

    In any event; two 5* QB's, both ranked #1 in their respective classes have tried to beat out Jake Fromm and failed. Food for thought.

  9. #86
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3,645

    Re: Justin Fields (potentially) Leaving Georgia

    I'm not a QB expert but analysts and such often talk about how important reps are for the development of a QB(especially live reps in a game). And how its risky to draft a one year starter at QB (though obviously they do it).


    If that is all really the case then I don't blame a single QB who transfers to a school in order to get an opportunity to start earlier.

  10. #87
    REC | FB | BB Moderator RTR91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Prattville
    Posts
    37,451

    Re: Justin Fields Leaving Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    It's surprising how few snaps Fields has taken this season.
    Kirby completely botched this situation.

    There was plenty of talk of Kirby promising things he couldn't fulfill to members of the 2018 recruiting class. Have to wonder what he might have promised Fields.

    Then, we get to the season, and there was no apparent structure to how the QBs would play. No real sense of Fromm being the #1 guy with Fields being groomed as the backup. Instead, we see Fields come in for a play or two for the package of plays they have for him, which appeared to be zone-read stuff. There was nothing to make opponents leery of the Elite 11 MVP actually throwing the ball when he came in for a play or two.

    Once Fromm became the guy, Fields then gets the expected backup reps and actually throws the ball some. Too late then.

    Come the SECCG, Kirby uses him the way they did the first part of the season.

    Before anyone says the coaches might not have trusted him to throw, I would suggest you don't play him in those situations then. What good does him running the same set of run plays in one or two play spurts do you when Fromm is doing well?

    Also....

    Report: Ohio State is frontrunner for Georgia QB Justin Fields

    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

    "We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

  11. #88
    BamaNation All-American mlh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,198

    Re: Justin Fields (potentially) Leaving Georgia

    One step closer to free agency in college football.

  12. #89
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    20,839

    Re: Justin Fields (potentially) Leaving Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by CoachJeff View Post
    Fields saw more playing time his freshman year than Tua did, at least during the regular season.
    And Tua might have transferred if his moment in the CFPCG had not materialized. Thankfully, we will never know.

  13. #90
    BamaNation All-SEC CoachJeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Shelby County Alabama
    Posts
    1,920

    Re: Justin Fields (potentially) Leaving Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    And Tua might have transferred if his moment in the CFPCG had not materialized. Thankfully, we will never know.
    The difference is that Tua looked to be a more effective QB for an offense that was mired by a lack of downfield passing.

    No sensible person would argue that Fields would be the better option at Georgia.

    Also, I haven't seen any videos of Tua leaving the field after a win saying, "I handed the ball off good as *&%@... I didn't do *&%@ bro".
    Last edited by CoachJeff; December 18th, 2018 at 10:02 AM.
    ----
    B.A. from The University of Alabama (during the Fran/Shula years) so don't question my fandom.

  14. #91
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,584

    Re: Justin Fields (potentially) Leaving Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    And Tua might have transferred if his moment in the CFPCG had not materialized. Thankfully, we will never know.
    My impression is that he was right on the cusp. Could be wrong, though.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

[CLICK] GET BAMA Calendar

TideFansStore.com: Get YOUR gear!