Justin Fields Leaving Georgia - also Luke Ford

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: Justin Fields (potentially) Leaving Georgia - also Luke Ford

I'd buy the argument if he had left the team after that episode but his participation went up so I got to assume his performance in practice was not hurting. Will the NCAA buy it? It is a great argument for an institution like the NCAA because they're all about appearances over reality and this will make them look good.
I think neither the NCAA nor UGA will put up much resistance to this one - the backlash would likely be quite severe. If he wants to leave without penalty I'm nearly certain he'll get it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I think neither the NCAA nor UGA will put up much resistance to this one - the backlash would likely be quite severe. If he wants to leave without penalty I'm nearly certain he'll get it.
Agreed - they do not want this playing out in social media. Right or wrong, they would get crucified.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Things like this are why I'm really just in support of axing the year in residence requirement. The justification the Fields camp is going to use to subvert the requirement is duplicitous but effective lawyering. I'd rather just simplify the rules and tend towards what benefits the top-end athlete's professional career enhancement. I have a lot of weird ideas though. I think any student athlete who goes to grad school should get an extra year of eligibility regardless of the 4 in 5 counter. I think this is a great move for the student-athlete, encourages further education, and ends the requirement to have a short-term uproot for the student-athlete if they need that extra year the transfer provides. Again, I got out-there ideas but they're not really that crazy...it helps everyone.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018

The baseball player used an inexcusable racial slur, however:
1) he was calling for Fields to be put in the game
2) Fields did not hear the slur until it was posted on social media
3) Fields did not indicate that any negative impact on his playing or practicing due to racial animus until he decided that he might transfer--then the family leaked the race argument to USA Today.
I don't disagree with your sentiment that the NCAA will probably fold rather than fight. The NCAA decision-making lacks consistency, hence the NCAA lacks credibility. Players and families that can afford to hire a white shoes attorney get to transfer without penalty. All players should get equal treatment by the NCAA regardless of whether they can afford an attorney, have a loud mouthed father or have a sufficiently high profile to influence in the tank media outlets.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

3) Fields did not indicate that any negative impact on his playing or practicing due to racial animus until he decided that he might transfer--then the family leaked the race argument to USA Today.
I don't disagree with your sentiment that the NCAA will probably fold rather than fight. The NCAA decision-making lacks consistency, hence the NCAA lacks credibility. Players and families that can afford to hire a white shoes attorney get to transfer without penalty. All players should get equal treatment by the NCAA regardless of whether they can afford an attorney, have a loud mouthed father or have a sufficiently high profile to influence in the tank media outlets.
Yes, ridiculous if it goes through on this basis in this situation. It opens up a can of worms that can easily be exploited even when faked. On the other hand, a player can always claim a long lost cousin has a hangnail and the player wants to move closer to where the cousin lives as the relative battles the condition.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
Re: Justin Fields (potentially) Leaving Georgia

I don't care where you go there will always be someone bigger, faster, better, smarter, tougher, ect. That's just part of life and sticking it out and competing builds character. Quitting and going somewhere else may prove beneficial for a while, but who knows who might transfer in or be recruited that may be better than you.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't want to work hard...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Things like this are why I'm really just in support of axing the year in residence requirement. The justification the Fields camp is going to use to subvert the requirement is duplicitous but effective lawyering. I'd rather just simplify the rules and tend towards what benefits the top-end athlete's professional career enhancement. I have a lot of weird ideas though. I think any student athlete who goes to grad school should get an extra year of eligibility regardless of the 4 in 5 counter. I think this is a great move for the student-athlete, encourages further education, and ends the requirement to have a short-term uproot for the student-athlete if they need that extra year the transfer provides. Again, I got out-there ideas but they're not really that crazy...it helps everyone.
I agree completely.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

What happened was wrong, but the baseball player was kicked off the team and has suffered his consequences. The Fields family using this for personal gain is just wrong. I'm sorry but I cannot with this.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

bamabelle1991 literally can't even, guys!
It's been one of those days, ya know? Is it a full moon?

ETA: If Fields or any kid was suffering from systemic racism at his or her college and this caused them to want to transfer, then I am all for it. This was a one time event, caused by drunken stupidity and the violator has been punished. Why continue to keep it on the forefront via social media just to promote your agenda for an unrestricted transfer? I don't like it.

Last edited:

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004

It's been one of those days, ya know? Is it a full moon?

ETA: If Fields or any kid was suffering from systemic racism at his or her college and this caused them to want to transfer, then I am all for it. This was a one time event, caused by drunken stupidity and the violator has been punished. Why continue to keep it on the forefront via social media just to promote your agenda for an unrestricted transfer? I don't like it.
I think you just answered your own question.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa

Tend to agree that the NCAA is going to roll over pretty quickly on this one. Even the slightest support that they are ignoring or supporting racism will have them scurrying for cover. Hypothetically, though, if From had been benched in favor of Fields about six games ago, my guess is he would not now be so concerned about racism in Athens that he would seek a transfer. But that is just my opinion. YMMV.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

If he wants to use that excuse to land at another spot, then that is on him and his parent. He better hope that he does well at the school he select. He would be better off sitting out a year and try to develop under a coach who is actually teaching him how to throw.

bamabill123

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2018

Don't really give a hoot about fields, he'll land on his feet. Anybody know the story on Ford, the TE? Their TE is probably going pro, seems weird he is leaving. We recruited him hard, maybe he makes a call to CNS. you never know.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014

If Fields is smart he'll go to Oklahoma under that Riley led offense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.