Justin Fields Leaving Georgia - also Luke Ford

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Re: Justin Fields (potentially) Leaving Georgia

I don't like this attitude of "I'm not the star here, so let me transfer to a school where I can be the star". Quarterbacks coming out of high school these days want instant gratification. I know Fields is really talented, but it's not like Fromm was doing terrible as the starting QB. The argument may be "Well, Fields has a higher ceiling". That might be true, but I would argue that his ceiling is not much higher than Fromm's.
I don't think it as simple as you make it out to be.

We may only know half of the story...and with Kirby in Fields ear in recruitment...who knows???

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I don't like this attitude of "I'm not the star here, so let me transfer to a school where I can be the star". Quarterbacks coming out of high school these days want instant gratification. I know Fields is really talented, but it's not like Fromm was doing terrible as the starting QB. The argument may be "Well, Fields has a higher ceiling". That might be true, but I would argue that his ceiling is not much higher than Fromm's.
After watching Fromm play the second half of the season this year, I think that he has all of the tools. He is not elusive, but he can step up in the pocket and make a pass under pressure. IMO, he is every bit as talented as the crop of QBs who were just drafted this year (with the possible exception of Mayfield).

Fields was solid this year as a TF, but so was Fromm last year, also as a TF. Fields was told that he could play this year, and he did. But at some point the team has to come first. If Fields is bothered by that, then he needs to find a different vocation because no matter where he goes, the team is always going to be first. And if he thinks that he deserves to play ahead of Fromm, then he is blind.

So it amounts to patience. He lost the battle for the starting job and he isn't going to win it next year. Does he have the patience to stick it out or not?

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

After watching Fromm play the second half of the season this year, I think that he has all of the tools. He is not elusive, but he can step up in the pocket and make a pass under pressure. IMO, he is every bit as talented as the crop of QBs who were just drafted this year (with the possible exception of Mayfield).

Fields was solid this year as a TF, but so was Fromm last year, also as a TF. Fields was told that he could play this year, and he did. But at some point the team has to come first. If Fields is bothered by that, then he needs to find a different vocation because no matter where he goes, the team is always going to be first. And if he thinks that he deserves to play ahead of Fromm, then he is blind.

So it amounts to patience. He lost the battle for the starting job and he isn't going to win it next year. Does he have the patience to stick it out or not?
Some kids don't have this. I think of Robert Foster. He wasn't an impact player at Alabama, but he stuck it out and is contributing a lot to the Bills this year.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

I'm not a QB expert but analysts and such often talk about how important reps are for the development of a QB(especially live reps in a game). And how its risky to draft a one year starter at QB (though obviously they do it).

If that is all really the case then I don't blame a single QB who transfers to a school in order to get an opportunity to start earlier.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Justin Fields Leaving Georgia

It's surprising how few snaps Fields has taken this season.
Kirby completely botched this situation.

There was plenty of talk of Kirby promising things he couldn't fulfill to members of the 2018 recruiting class. Have to wonder what he might have promised Fields.

Then, we get to the season, and there was no apparent structure to how the QBs would play. No real sense of Fromm being the #1 guy with Fields being groomed as the backup. Instead, we see Fields come in for a play or two for the package of plays they have for him, which appeared to be zone-read stuff. There was nothing to make opponents leery of the Elite 11 MVP actually throwing the ball when he came in for a play or two.

Once Fromm became the guy, Fields then gets the expected backup reps and actually throws the ball some. Too late then.

Come the SECCG, Kirby uses him the way they did the first part of the season.

Before anyone says the coaches might not have trusted him to throw, I would suggest you don't play him in those situations then. What good does him running the same set of run plays in one or two play spurts do you when Fromm is doing well?

Also....

Report: Ohio State is frontrunner for Georgia QB Justin Fields

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004

One step closer to free agency in college football.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Fields saw more playing time his freshman year than Tua did, at least during the regular season.
And Tua might have transferred if his moment in the CFPCG had not materialized. Thankfully, we will never know.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

And Tua might have transferred if his moment in the CFPCG had not materialized. Thankfully, we will never know.
The difference is that Tua looked to be a more effective QB for an offense that was mired by a lack of downfield passing.

No sensible person would argue that Fields would be the better option at Georgia.

Also, I haven't seen any videos of Tua leaving the field after a win saying, "I handed the ball off good as *&%@... I didn't do *&%@ bro".

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

The difference is that Tua looked to be a more effective QB for an offense that was mired by a lack of downfield passing.

No sensible person would argue that Fields would be the better option at Georgia.
And that's where Kirby failed. He played him with the sole intention of handing the ball off instead of letting him throw. What good does that do?

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005

Maybe I'm just getting old and am accustomed to the way players, particularly QBs, were groomed before being anointed the starter, but what did Fields think was going to happen in his true freshman year? Did he legitimately think he was going to just waltz in and take over?

Before Fields, Jacob Eason was the most celebrated QB signing UGA has had other than Stafford, and Fromm was able to come in and take over his starting role as a true freshman. Granted, Eason got hurt in game one of last year, but he held on to the job once Eason was healthy, and he did so by playing good football. I just can't believe Fields thought he would have no problem taking over.

I have no idea where the consensus among Georgia fans stand on this issue, but I would say good riddance to Fields because it sounds like he has entitlement issues which can't be good for the lockerroom.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

And that's where Kirby failed. He played him with the sole intention of handing the ball off instead of letting him throw. What good does that do?
I don't really have a problem with how he was used. They called more passes for him than runs this year. The only odd thing was how he was brought in in the middle of games, it would have been better to start his mop up time earlier.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Kirby completely botched this situation.

There was plenty of talk of Kirby promising things he couldn't fulfill to members of the 2018 recruiting class. Have to wonder what he might have promised Fields.

Then, we get to the season, and there was no apparent structure to how the QBs would play. No real sense of Fromm being the #1 guy with Fields being groomed as the backup. Instead, we see Fields come in for a play or two for the package of plays they have for him, which appeared to be zone-read stuff. There was nothing to make opponents leery of the Elite 11 MVP actually throwing the ball when he came in for a play or two.

Once Fromm became the guy, Fields then gets the expected backup reps and actually throws the ball some. Too late then.

Come the SECCG, Kirby uses him the way they did the first part of the season.

Before anyone says the coaches might not have trusted him to throw, I would suggest you don't play him in those situations then. What good does him running the same set of run plays in one or two play spurts do you when Fromm is doing well?

Also....

Report: Ohio State is frontrunner for Georgia QB Justin Fields

don't you see the brilliance. kirby was setting up that 4th and 11 fake the entire season.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Maybe I'm just getting old and am accustomed to the way players, particularly QBs, were groomed before being anointed the starter, but what did Fields think was going to happen in his true freshman year? Did he legitimately think he was going to just waltz in and take over?

Before Fields, Jacob Eason was the most celebrated QB signing UGA has had other than Stafford, and Fromm was able to come in and take over his starting role as a true freshman. Granted, Eason got hurt in game one of last year, but he held on to the job once Eason was healthy, and he did so by playing good football. I just can't believe Fields thought he would have no problem taking over.

I have no idea where the consensus among Georgia fans stand on this issue, but I would say good riddance to Fields because it sounds like he has entitlement issues which can't be good for the lockerroom.
Once Fromm won the game @ South Bend then Kirby couldn’t go back to Eason. It was like Bledsoe to Brady.

I think Eason is better and will prove it next year, but I can’t fault Kirby for how he handled that situation.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Just change the name of Fields to Jalen or Tua and it's basically the same story.

The things we don't know about the Fields situation vs. Jalen and Tua is what the HC told them. We know what CNS told Jalen and Tua, but we don't know what Kirby told Fields.

Judging, based on what is happening, is Kirby made promises his butt couldn't keep.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I don't really have a problem with how he was used. They called more passes for him than runs this year. The only odd thing was how he was brought in in the middle of games, it would have been better to start his mop up time earlier.
Where are you getting that? He had 39 passing attempts and 42 rushing attempts (some could have been scrambles, though). Also, 24 of his 39 attempts came against Austin Peay, MTSU, and UMass. That wasn't my point, though. He handed the ball off numerous times, too. Appeared he was brought in to run option plays most of the time.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

Where are you getting that? He had 39 passing attempts and 42 rushing attempts (some could have been scrambles, though). Also, 24 of his 39 attempts came against Austin Peay, MTSU, and UMass. That wasn't my point, though. He handed the ball off numerous times, too. Appeared he was brought in to run option plays most of the time.
A lot of his rushes were called passes. Not sure the exact number, but I'd guess they called at least 50 passes, not 39.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.