Justin Fields Leaving Georgia - also Luke Ford

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Re: Justin Fields (potentially) Leaving Georgia - also Luke Ford

I think that's one of the last pix taken of me with straight hair. At the end of January last year I had a right colon resection (precancerous growth). I came out of the surgery with wavy hair. Quite an adjustment, when you've had pencil-straight hair all your life...
Just don't let folks call you Curley.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
You guys know that I am a Buckeye, so I'll offer my perspective on the transfer.

First, we are lucky to get Fields. He is the highest rated player coming out of high school to every put on a Buckeye uniform. I am not sure how that will work out, but Pryor was the highest rated guy before Fields, and he was great for our program.

Second, I don't believe that Fields should be granted the waver to play immediately, but I think that he will. Why? Because it was a fellow student athlete who screamed the racial slur, not a fan. That is an important distinction because it adds an institutional element to the equation. The NCAA is not going to take a hit for denying something like this. It plays two cards at once - the race card and the hostile work environment card.

Third, Harbaugh can't be happy about this, which makes me happy. :biggrin2:

Maybe Ga. didn't ruin Fields...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I do have one question though about the transfer...If he's so worried about his well being in Athens, why is he leaving his sister on the UGA campus?
The obvious answer is he really isn't worried about safety - it's just leverage to get the approval to play right away.

And FTR....I don't blame the kid at all for using the system in whatever way he feels he can.

I'm just happy he's not playing in the SEC....and I wish him well at Ohio State. Going to be an interesting story going forward....

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
This is a bunch of horse hockey and the NCAA needs to get some stones and squash it. I hope the kid loses out on the starting job and never sees the field again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I think UGA fans and Kirbs are about to get a taste of what CNS has been dealing with a decade, and why his dynasty is so impressive. Up until now Kirby has had a good core of players Richt brought in mixed a lot of very good players he recruited as well. Up until now, he had a lot of seniors on the roster, but his elevated level of recruiting is feeling effects of losing highly rated players early to the draft and losing them to transfer when they don’t see the field immediately. With Hardman, Ridley, Godwin, and Nauta all leaving this year, that is pretty much the bulk of Georgia’s entire receiving corps. Holyfield leaving can probably be overcome, but I would be lying if I said it didn’t tickle me immensely that they are blaming Holyfield for leaning towards staying as the reason they “lost” Trey Sanders to us. The days of having Seniors the caliber of Chubb, Michel, Roquan, etc. like they had last year are pretty much over.
It’s going to be interesting to see how it plays out.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Up until now Kirby has had a good core of players Richt brought in mixed a lot of very good players he recruited as well.
I think sometimes people underestimate how good a situation it can be to inherit a group of talented players and a program on sound footing.

Les Miles won a a NC in his third year on the job (0 since then). Jimbo won a NC on his fourth year, Bob Stoops won in his second year, Gene Chizik won in his second year at Auburn, Larry Coker won in his first year at Miami, Pete Carrol won in his third and fourth year at USC (debatable), Meyer won in his second and fourth year at Florida and his third year at Ohio State, even Nick Saban won in his third year at Alabama, heck Stallings won in his third year as well.

Since 2000, only Nick Saban, Mack Brown and Dabo Swinney have won a championship outside of that four year window. There's something to be said for both being able to clean house and turn things upside down, while retaining valuable players who can contribute to championships. Clearly, there are some advantages to being able to keep the best of the previous regime while contributing what you are best at, and there's quite a few coaches who never could recapture that magic later on in their tenures.

It will be interesting to see what Kirby does moving into his fourth and fifth seasons, the further he gets removed from a very solid foundation Richt laid for Georgia, the more he has to figure out how to do all the little things on his own.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Shows a lack of integrity if the player beats the system and he does not really feel he has been wronged and is only transferring because he cannot compete at his present school. I know a lot of people think it is okay to get away with something if they aren't really hurting anyone else even if it is skirting the rules and maybe telling a little lie.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Anything from a football standpoint that happens bad for the idiot on the other sideline that runs the most ridiculous 4th and 11 call in history, I’m for it.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Tate Martell tweet that seems to be directed at Fields

word of advice:
———————
– don’t swing and miss
… especially not your second time
I mean seriously, why does Justin Fields really believe he is going to beat out a guy just as talented as him, much further along as a passing qb, and has been in the system a year longer than him

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

I mean seriously, why does Justin Fields really believe he is going to beat out a guy just as talented as him, much further along as a passing qb, and has been in the system a year longer than him
because kirby told him he was awesome when he promised him playing time?

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012

Solid argument, but did you hear about the freshmen that came to Alabama to compete against a QB that led Alabama to an undefeated season.

Maybe I'm wrong, but is that not a legit comparison?

Tua could have changed his mind at any point during the season that Jalen was having, but believed in himself and his own skills. (Please don't spin the into the quality that Jalen was vs from me, etc.) It's just similar situations for the same position.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Solid argument, but did you hear about the freshmen that came to Alabama to compete against a QB that led Alabama to an undefeated season.

Maybe I'm wrong, but is that not a legit comparison?

Tua could have changed his mind at any point during the season that Jalen was having, but believed in himself and his own skills. (Please don't spin the into the quality that Jalen was vs from me, etc.) It's just similar situations for the same position.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Lets for argument's sake that Tate and Justin are equals (which I have my doubts in terms of throwing). It almost means that if Justin doesn't win his waiver appeal that he could really be sitting behind Martell for 3 years before playing. If Tate wins the Big 10 or gets to the playoffs then Justin might as well transfer again.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.