They Shall Not Grow Old WW I film by Peter Jackson

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I saw the film this afternoon. I highly recommend it.
Very well done.
It deals with British troops only (mostly). No Americans, Canadians, French Germans, etc., no home front, no colonial troops, etc. Jackson just said he could not cover too much and cover it well, so he focused on the experience of British troops and the experiences of others was probably much the same.
The section of a WW I assault were well done and hit the viewer like a kick in the stomach.
The scene of British troops about to go over the top at the Somme, you can see one kid (and too many of these soldiers were just kids, many who lied about their age) and he is obviously scared to death (at the 1:16 in the trailer). Later, Jackson points out that all of these soldiers were in the last 30 minutes of their lives. Most of the first wave at the Somme was killed right off the bat.
Anyway, Jackson did a great job with the editing and colorization. He tells a compelling story.
It will be back in theaters on December 27 (only).

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
I think it is only showing on 17 and 27 December 2018. Those two dates only, I believe.
You're right.......only one of my local theaters are showing it on the 27th, and only one showing on that day at 4:00 pm. I hope I can make it. Really want to see this one.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Seeing that in color really changes how anyone should view the horror and bloodshed of WWI. So incredibly sad, thanks for sharing TW.
Jackson said those men lived it in color, so it should be seen in color.
The voice overs are by WW I veterans who did recorded interviews in the 1960s and 1970s, so you hear the veterans themselves peaking.
The section in which they cover how an attack was done is graphic. Not for the faint of heart.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Saw it yesterday, truly stunning. Despite the fact that I have studied WWI a good bit, seeing (and hearing) the descriptions in full, moving color was breathtaking. A few tears were shed as well.

Highly recommended.

Also, make sure you stay for the bonus bit at the end where Jackson talks about how they made it - that 30 minutes was almost as good as the feature.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
Totally bummed that I won’t be able to see this in theater. I have to go back to work on the 27th after our Christmas vacation, and the only showings I see in the Huntsville Al area are at 1:00 and 4:00. I’m sure it will be out on video, but would have liked to have seen it at the theater.

A somber reminder of the hell these boys/men endured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Sitting in the Summit in Birmingham waiting for it to start. Left work early to attend. Theater filling up nearly 30 min before showtime.

Will update after it’s over.

Update:

The major reason we don't remember WWI the way we remember WWII isn't solely because of the time -- it's only about 25 years previous -- it's because WWI didn't have the photographic record. No color film. Very little in the way of motion pictures, and sound hadn't yet been incorporated into movies.

In an interesting brief interview shown before the start of the main show, director Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings) said that the major challenge was in restoring old beat-up and deteriorating black-and-white film to look new. He said the colorization wasn't hard, just labor-intensive and time consuming. Creating something they could in fact colorize was the problem.

They succeeded masterfully on that front.

Thought it started a bit slow, but got really interesting after about 15-20 minutes.

I was already familiar with the stories of trench life, but seeing it in restored and colorized form added a whole new dimension. Goes from being an intellectual exercise to a deeper understanding.

The treatment of the leadup to a major attack, and the attack itself, was as compelling as any I've seen. Peter Jackson didn't use any non-archival footage, and didn't supplement it with anything shot today. So there's nothing like the D-Day landing in Saving Private Ryan. But in its own way, They Shall Not Grow Old's approach was just as riveting.

A lot of that is because they use recordings of WWI veterans' comments, taken from interviews done in the 1960s and 1970s. Hearing it straight from someone who was there adds a ton.

There's significant footage of some troops waiting for the signal to go "over the top." Most of them had less than 30 minutes to live.

The camera settles on a young soldier who must have lied about his age. Couldn't have been more than 16 or 17. Looked like the perfect guy anybody would want their sister to bring home. Poor kid was so scared he was shaking. As he stared at the camera, you could almost read his thoughts, "This is the last anyone will see of me."

That face haunts me, wondering if he survived. And knowing that he probably didn't.

The attack itself is shown mainly in still drawings from the day, and Jackson did a great job creating and keeping interest using the veterans' comments as the audio backdrop to closeups of various parts of the drawings.

I can't say They Shall Not Grow Old was really fun or enjoyable. With the exception of a few moments of levity -- it was a much more sexually innocent time for unmarried 18-22 year old Brits, and the treatment of the brothels is humorous -- it's not a smiling / laughing kind of thing. But in the same vein as Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List, it is highly worthwhile and time well spent.

I'm betting Jackson gets another Academy Award for Best Documentary.

One last thing -- the Brits had some awful teeth back then. Even though they were pretty young, it seemed like every man there was rotten straight across the upper front four.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
For those that missed today's showings, the DVD is already out, but it is region 2 and will not play in U.S. DVD players. (Darn Brits, they have to do everything differently.)
Jokes aside, I have to believe that, if they issued a Region 2 DVD, they will issue a Region 1 DVD as well. Big market, the United States/Canada...

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I really wanted to be able to see this but wasn’t able to on the days it showed. I really hope they release the DVD soon- I will buy it in a flash.

The end of that trailer was chilling: “There was a job to be done. And you just got on and did it”.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I noticed you can now get the DVD on Amazon, but it's not the format that will play in North America.

I was hoping it would be in the theaters in a wider release.

I guess I will have to wait until the DVD(or streaming) becomes available.
Good catch. I have to believe that the BBC will release a Region 1 DVD in the near future. I think there is a bit of interest n these United States.
I'd probably buy a copy.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
We have tickets to a showing tomorrow at noon.

Hope we don't get asked to leave for coughing too much......................

(At least we are no longer contagious!)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.