Some awesome derp on ITAT

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Auburn is now a Carnegie R1 level research university. It’s the highest level a school can attain and a ranking we did not previously have. Attaining it was one of Dr Leath’s initial goals when coming to Auburn. For all he’s been criticized for in athletics, this is a big deal and an accomplishment worthy of celebration and praise. It will make available to Auburn research dollars and opportunities not previously possible. Well done all involved, and War Eagle.
Just goes to prove that Auburn is a top notch university, and (the University of Alabama) is nothing but a football factory
I hate to burst your bubble, but I just looked at the list and (the University of Alabama) is on there too
Yeah, good achievement but to place in perspective we finally joined the rest of the SEC on there plus the likes of UAB, University of Hawaii, Florida International, etc.

https://scout.com/college/auburn/Bo...negie-R1-level-research-university-126495489/

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I got a faculty/staff listserv email today saying that:

"For the first time in its history, UA achieved Doctoral Universities – Very High Research Activity status, formerly known as the R1 category, in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education update released this week."

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I got a faculty/staff listserv email today saying that:

"For the first time in its history, UA achieved Doctoral Universities – Very High Research Activity status, formerly known as the R1 category, in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education update released this week."
I have very narrow knowledge of what this means, but I know it’s a very important accomplishment. Congratulations to everyone involved. Yes, ~120 other schools are on this list, but it’s the first time for UA. Kudos.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I have very narrow knowledge of what this means, but I know it’s a very important accomplishment. Congratulations to everyone involved. Yes, ~120 other schools are on this list, but it’s the first time for UA. Kudos.
Just to bring some clarity to this whole thing...

Here's the UA.edu news release: https://www.ua.edu/news/2018/12/carnegie-lists-ua-among-elite-research-institutions/

Basically it puts schools in the top 3 or 4% of all colleges.

Part of the confusion comes from the fact that Carnegie has changed labels and meanings over the years. The latest data file is available here and you can try to interpret it.

Other info...

There's a lot more digging that can be done but I'm already bored and down a rabbit hole given this is the football board! :D

(Note - even though I'm an "academician," these studies have always seemed like navel gazing to me. Carnegie's report acknowledges that there have been negative consequences related to how they even define the terms they use. Overall, the studies re: college rankings are important, I'm glad someone is taking a look at this kind of stuff, I'm glad it's not me. I prefer working on / researching more actionable problems.)

Last edited:

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL
I'm still on the research board in the Comm dept... For the DPhil types, this is huge.

Meanwhile, on ITAT, the "derp" is indeed strong, though I appreciated a fan or two posting yesterday about recruiting, and how ridiculous these various "cheating" theories are (Emmert, "Bammerham," ESPN/CFB money machine, REC, etc.). Some of their fans are beginning to realize that none of it makes sense, and that Saban really is that good, and that the kind of success we're having is in some ways self-perpetuating... What kid WOULDN'T want to come to Bama right now, watching us play on Saturdays and watching our former guys kill it on Sundays? Why SHOULDN'T we have our pick of the best? Of course, some will still hang on to the delusion that one day we'll be "caught" and it will all come crashing down, but they're just fiddling while the barn burns.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Auburn truly believes the old saying...
'YOU CAN FOOL SOME OF THE PEOPLE SOME OF THE TIME'
Maybe gus is right, they can fool all their people all the time too...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.