Game Thread: Liberty-Alabama (7 pm tip)

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
A nice win over a fairly good team. We played sloppy at times and had some long scoring droughts, especially in the first half but competed hard the entire game and maintained control of the game. Kira is fun to watch. I'm not so sure he won't wind up being better (more complete player) than Collin before his career is over. When his head is in the game Donta is one of the more exciting players we've had since I've been watching Bama basketball in the early 80's. I wish he was a more complete player because he definitely has NBA ability. I think Coach has slowed down on rotating players in and out but there still were a few odd combinations on the court at times in the second half. The crowd was down considerably from the last 2 Rocket City Classics which I assume is due to a few reasons: 1) Team not playing well recently, 2) Liberty is a no-name team, and 3) ticket prices have gone up. I hope they come back again but it wouldn't surprise me if they skip a year or two. The Huntsville area has been a good recruiting area for Bama so that alone may keep them coming back. I would like to see a little bit bigger opponent for this game to generate more excitement for the fans.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
It is amazing how far you have to look to find any information about last night's basketball game on AL.com. I am glad to hear that we had a solid second half and got the win. Roll Tide!

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
A nice win over a fairly good team. We played sloppy at times and had some long scoring droughts, especially in the first half but competed hard the entire game and maintained control of the game. Kira is fun to watch. I'm not so sure he won't wind up being better (more complete player) than Collin before his career is over. When his head is in the game Donta is one of the more exciting players we've had since I've been watching Bama basketball in the early 80's. I wish he was a more complete player because he definitely has NBA ability. I think Coach has slowed down on rotating players in and out but there still were a few odd combinations on the court at times in the second half. The crowd was down considerably from the last 2 Rocket City Classics which I assume is due to a few reasons: 1) Team not playing well recently, 2) Liberty is a no-name team, and 3) ticket prices have gone up. I hope they come back again but it wouldn't surprise me if they skip a year or two. The Huntsville area has been a good recruiting area for Bama so that alone may keep them coming back. I would like to see a little bit bigger opponent for this game to generate more excitement for the fans.
Few things I noticed in last night game. Hall was aggressive going to the basket, and we needed that from him. Petty really needs to step up his game going forward. There was several moment where Offense wasn't doing good job of moving the ball. If we could do half of what Liberty did with the ball and do it well, then the team could be real good. I hope they figure out how to play together without the ball, because that will be a huge difference in SEC play this year.

I wouldn't mind us skipping the Rocket City Classic... I was not happy with how RCC handled the event. They had a half-time shot contest and give a person a chance to win a free car, well Rocket City botched this. They selected a man who did not qualify under their rules. I reached out to the officials and they modified the rules. On top of that, Pre-sale tickets was botched as well. I think it's time for Rocket City Classic to consider Auburn, UAB, Tennessee and just rotate teams every year to keep interest high.

Oh the upper level seats at VBCC are very uncomfortable. I wish they would just redo the whole seating in the arena.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Few things I noticed in last night game. Hall was aggressive going to the basket, and we needed that from him. Petty really needs to step up his game going forward. There was several moment where Offense wasn't doing good job of moving the ball. If we could do half of what Liberty did with the ball and do it well, then the team could be real good. I hope they figure out how to play together without the ball, because that will be a huge difference in SEC play this year.

I wouldn't mind us skipping the Rocket City Classic... I was not happy with how RCC handled the event. They had a half-time shot contest and give a person a chance to win a free car, well Rocket City botched this. They selected a man who did not qualify under their rules. I reached out to the officials and they modified the rules. On top of that, Pre-sale tickets was botched as well. I think it's time for Rocket City Classic to consider Auburn, UAB, Tennessee and just rotate teams every year to keep interest high.

Oh the upper level seats at VBCC are very uncomfortable. I wish they would just redo the whole seating in the arena.
I think Hall is the key this year. We know what Lewis can and will do but someone else needs to step up and Hall did that last night.

The first year of the classic was awesome. One of my buddies bought tickets as soon as they became available and we were 3rd row from the floor. We could almost catch the sweat from the players when they were on our end of the court. It was a fantastic experience and the game was fairly good as we took control in the second half and poured it on. The next year (last year) I bought the tickets as soon as they were available and could only get upper level seats for a more expensive price than my buddy had paid. Apparently the success of the first year brought in a lot more corporate sponsors and they got all the good seats and the remaining seats price was raised. The game itself was boring and the atmosphere was not nearly as exciting as the previous year. This year I was able to purchase slightly better seats than last year, I was on the lower level but almost in a corner. A good but not great view considering the price. I agree, the seating is just about as bad, perhaps worse, than being on an airplane. I was squeezed in and felt like I couldn't move without encroaching on those around me and I'm average size. The constant parade of corporate sponsors for each timeout was tiring as well. I got the feeling my buddies will not want to go to the game next year and although I will probably go if they have it, I'm not as excited about it as I have been. This game is important to UA for recruiting Huntsville area basketball players and I would hate to give that up to someone else, especially Auburn and make no mistake about it, Auburn would jump on this game in a heartbeat if they were offered. So in spite of all the negatives I hope Bama will come back next year. I would like to see a bigger name opponent and slight less corporate sponsors (doubtful) to make it a more enjoyable experience.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
This may have been our best team win, and it was a very important win. Liberty isn't Auburn or UTK, but they are solid and our guys played solid basketball with lots of contributors throughout the night. We need to shoot better than 65% from the line if we want to go anywhere this year, but our shooting from the field seems to have improved.

Good win. Hopefully we will get another tomorrow.

rtr

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.