A Treatise on the Problem of Defense in the Big 12

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I suppose the first question one might ask regarding the problem of defense in the Big 12 is, "Is there really a serious problem with defense in the Big 12 or is it merely a case of a widely-held but incorrect perception?"

While this may be a very valid question, there are two problems with even asking this question that are imperative truths regarding its potential answer. First, the most likely truthful answer is that it is a combination of both options given, rather than one or the other. Second, it doesn't matter whether it is more one or the other; the facts simply are at this point that virtually everyone outside the Big 12, and many within, view its defenses as of lesser quality than those found in other Power 5 conferences - specifically the ACC, Big Ten, and SEC. This perception is also held by those in the NFL, as the vast majority of defensive players who have been drafted and successfully transitioned into the NFL recently have largely not come from the ranks of the Big 12. Even if it is completely an incorrect perception, that last fact presents a major problem in and of itself.

Just to illustrate this particular symptom, let's look at the last two NFL drafts. There have been a total of 260 defensive players taken in the last two NFL drafts. Of those, only 14 hailed from the Big 12 conference. Compare that to 57 from the SEC. Of those 14 defensive players drafted from the Big 12, only two of them were drafted in the first three rounds. Interestingly, with 15 defensive players drafted in total and with 10 of them drafted in the first three rounds, Alabama by itself has put more overall and far more elite defensive talent into the NFL over the past two drafts than the entire Big 12 conference.

So, the next question one might ask is, "Why is there a problem with defense in the Big 12?"

I believe it primarily, if not completely, is due to the current climate of the Big 12. No, not the weather. Rather, the football-political climate. The Big 12 has become completely an offensive arms race. The effects of this race can be seen in several areas...

1. Fan attitudes.

It has become more and more prevalent to the point of seeming ubiquity that Big 12 fans are perfectly happy simply trying to outscore their opponents. While it is, always has, and likely always will be the case that whoever scores the most points wins the game, there's a big difference between merely dominating your opponent offensively and dominating your opponent in all phases of the game. Whereas most SEC fans, and certainly almost all Alabama fans, view making an effort to completely dominate in all three phases over all opponents a requirement, Big 12 fans seem to view this as a mere nicety in general and have basically resigned it to an impossibility against their best opponents.

2. Recruiting.

If every team had the same grading system for its recruiting prospects - D = not interested, C = we'll take him only if we have extra room, B = great to have and bumped only for A-level player, A = vital to our success - then the vast majority of A and B level rated players on Big 12 teams' recruiting boards would be offensive players and virtually no defensive players would garner an A rating unless, of course, they were a defensive back who was also an elite receiver and/or returner.

While it is true that a self-fulfilling perception of less-than-stellar defensive play in the Big 12 could potentially sway defensive recruits away from the conference, there are more than enough top-quality defensive players within the Big 12's footprint for the conference to get its full share of recruits. However, looking at the last four years of 247sports.com's top 250 composite recruiting rankings shows that the entire Big 12 conference has recruited during that time:
- 4 five-star defensive recruits (all to Texas)
- 20 top-100 defensive recruits (almost all to Texas or Oklahoma with most going to Texas)
- 47 top-250 defensive recruits

In contrast, Alabama by itself during that time has recruited 9 five-star, 19 top-100, and 37 top-250 defensive recruits.

If Big 12 programs were placing any sort of a priority on defensive recruiting, the entire conference would have far more top-quality recruits than any single team over a period of four years. It doesn't, which signifies that it doesn't place a priority on defensive recruiting.

3. On the field.

Actually, this is on two fields: the practice field and the playing field. By placing such an overarching emphasis on the offensive arms race throughout the conference, Big 12 defenses are at a disadvantage from the word practice. In addition to not being able to practice against smash-mouth, power football as they might face out of conference, Big 12 defenses face a much larger mental hurdle. All but fantastical seems the idea of pitching a shut-out against a quality opponent. With so many more elite athletes on the offensive side of the ball plus the added emphasis on relentless scoring, Big 12 defenses have to quickly become desensitizes to being scored against like it's prom night early in the movie Armageddon and resign themselves to merely hoping to get a few stops in any given game.

In addition, the overarching offensive philosophy of the Big 12 results in more drives and more plays being run against Big 12 defenses which, at least somewhat, does inflate their defensive stats. Over the past four seasons, Big 12 defenses play on average over 10% more plays per game against Power 5 competition than does the average Power 5 team. Now, 10% more doesn't inflate the stats enough to change the narrative of the overall quality of their defensive play but it does somewhat inflate the stats.

As a result of all of the factors, the on-field stats show a dearth of quality defensive play across the conference over the past four seasons. Looking at four key defensive stats - passing efficiency, yards per play, yards per rush, and points per game - against Power 5 competition is a fairly good barometer for overall conference quality since it weeds out aberrative results against lesser competition. Being very friendly on the first one here, let's classify a good defense as one that ranks in the top half of all Power 5 teams in all four of those stats and an elite defense as one that ranks in the top 15 in three out of four plus at least top 25 in the other.

Given those classifications, the highest number of good defenses the entire Big 12 conference has fielded in any of the past four seasons is two. For comparison, the SEC averages more elite defenses than that every year. The highest number of elite defenses the entire Big 12 conference has fielded in any of the past four seasons is zero.

Finally, the last question one might ask is, "How can it be fixed?"

The usual answer to fixing problems in college football centers around coaching hires. Unfortunately, given the current climate of the Big 12, top-shelf and even aspiring defensive coordinators would be wise to avoid taking a defensive coordinator job in the Big 12, unless a lot of guarantees are made. Being forced to place a lower priority on recruiting defensive players, having to fight an uphill mental battle from the start of spring ball with your defensive players, and having to face more snaps overall is a recipe for ugly-ing up a resume quickly. It's easier - or, more accurately, made less difficult - to improve a defensive unit at a middling program in the ACC, Big Ten, or SEC than at any program in the Big 12 if for no other reason than you're likely going to be allowed to recruit better defensive talent.

Until the overall climate of the conference shifts away from this offensive arms race where, functionally, the only priority is trying to outscore your opponents I don't see Big 12 teams being able to even hire enough quality defensive coaches, much less recruit enough defensive talent, to fix the problem of defense in the Big 12.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Bored? :biggrin2:

Yeah, I don't think that I want them to fix it.

Let them continue to win individual awards and lose every game that matters.

GulfCoastSooner

Dec 4, 2018
Interesting, if a little verbose, opinion. My own opinion is that hopefully for my team, every game matters. I wouldn’t want them trumpeting an attitude that one game is more important than the next, just so they would have a built-in excuse if they lose. And at the end of the day (to quote Bama fans favorite opposing coach) the scoreboard doesn’t have spaces for defensive stops.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Interesting, if a little verbose, opinion. My own opinion is that hopefully for my team, every game matters. I wouldn’t want them trumpeting an attitude that one game is more important than the next, just so they would have a built-in excuse if they lose. And at the end of the day (to quote Bama fans favorite opposing coach) the scoreboard doesn’t have spaces for defensive stops.
Did you get the PM I sent you? You can reach them by clicking on "notifications" at the top right...

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Accurate and I agree with most every point. I also 100% agree with B1G. Let them keep playing basketball on the grid iron. When’s the last time they were hoisting the championship trophy again? By my account, it was 13 years ago, and the conference hasn’t won it with any regularity since Nebraska’s “Black Shirt” defenses of the 90s.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
So, I take it that you don't see the fact that Alabama, by itself, has put more defensive players into the NFL over the past two drafts than has the ENTIRE BIG 12 conference as a problem?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Sounds like yall are still in denial.
Think of it like AA... The first step is to admit you have a problem.
If you can't admit there is a problem, it never will be fixed.

Read the stats again and look at it differently.
Could it be that some of those stats are in fact true?

Please allow me to cite an SEC team that had that problem.
When Mizzou came into the SEC they played good Offense, and very little Defense.
They were easy for SEC teams to defeat.
Fast forward to today... MO now plays some Defense.
They aren't as easy to beat as they used to be...
Mizzou didn't automatically start playing a better Defense.
Current coaches have accepted the concept of Defenses can win games.
Great Defenses can keep Offenses from scoring as many points as they would playing one of the Pitch and Catch type Offenses.

This is just an SEC view, but this view is backed by stats.
AND... Yes SEC fans do get excited when we see a great Defense playing.

UAEE93

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 14, 2008
Anything with “Treatise" in the title gets my attention. Thanks uafan4life.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
If I'm not mistaken Mizzou won the SEC east in its first couple of years in the conference. However, not my reason for posting in this thread. .I've made this point before but a contributing factor in the current identity of Big 12 football is Texas...Texas H.S. football to be precise. The state is the epicenter of Big 12 recruiting. A recent article in the Houston Chronicle tells the story keying off the high scores in this year's ongoing playoffs which culminate starting tomorrow at ATT stadium. Ut started in the Valley with the Detmers and in Port Arthur. It spread to South Lake Carroll, Austin Westlake, and Lake Travis, and finally blossomed at Stephensville. The spread O now totally dominates Texas H.S. football and college coaching trees that run the spread all started careers in Texas H.S. football...see Hal Mumme. Finally, the sanctioning of a spring/early summer 7/7 league just added fuel to the fire. Texas now produces QBs, WRs, and RBs like a slot machine. The last 2 H.T. winners from Texas, Patrick Mahomes...from Texas. No conference depends on Texas for recruits like the Big 12. Yes, there are good D recruits in the state but the depth of talent isn't there compared to on the O side of the ball.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I struggle with wanting to read War and Peace style posts.

I just read the replies and go from there

OU plays Loyola Marymount offense. We play a Kansas style offense. But we play a Wimp Sanderson D. OU plays a Marymount D.

Bama 70
OU 35 (and may not be that close)

Saban decides to wreck OU Football for the next 5/7 years

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
I'd make a different analogy...OU plays GSW/HOU.ROCKET offense and that fact alone should give Tide fans pause. You underestimate this edition of OKLAHOMA FOOTBALL at your own peril. You'd think you would have learned your lesson in the Sugar Bowl.

southernoutlaw

Mar 26, 2018
If I'm not mistaken Mizzou won the SEC east in its first couple of years in the conference. However, not my reason for posting in this thread. .I've made this point before but a contributing factor in the current identity of Big 12 football is Texas...Texas H.S. football to be precise. The state is the epicenter of Big 12 recruiting. A recent article in the Houston Chronicle tells the story keying off the high scores in this year's ongoing playoffs which culminate starting tomorrow at ATT stadium. Ut started in the Valley with the Detmers and in Port Arthur. It spread to South Lake Carroll, Austin Westlake, and Lake Travis, and finally blossomed at Stephensville. The spread O now totally dominates Texas H.S. football and college coaching trees that run the spread all started careers in Texas H.S. football...see Hal Mumme. Finally, the sanctioning of a spring/early summer 7/7 league just added fuel to the fire. Texas now produces QBs, WRs, and RBs like a slot machine. The last 2 H.T. winners from Texas, Patrick Mahomes...from Texas. No conference depends on Texas for recruits like the Big 12. Yes, there are good D recruits in the state but the depth of talent isn't there compared to on the O side of the ball.
One thing that helped Mizzou during those years was they had a d line coach that was taking 3* players and sending them to the NFL on a regular basis. He works for Bama now. Mizzou had some fairly good defenses during that run.
My wife and I owned a business for many years, and met people from around the country. I am have two close friends who are both huge Sooner fans. Finally had to stop talking to them several weeks ago, and we won't talk again until after the game. I finally figured out that the way they really feel is this. Our defense really isn't that bad, or at least not as bad as it looks on paper, because we play Big 12 offenses every week, and any Big 12 offense is going to be able to run up points on any other (SEC) school. SEC schools are not able to put any type of offense on the field that is anywhere close to what Big 12 schools can. So, the SEC schools have inflated defensive numbers because of the type of offense they play against each week, and are not really that much better than Big 12 defensive. So it boils down to this. All world offense will be able to slice through outstanding (on paper) defense at will. Really bad defense will be able to get numerous stops against the best SEC offense simply because we are better that we look every week, and it is a SEC offense. Its actually a lot more complicated than this but.....Now my question is. Does everyone from the Big 12 believe the same way or am I the only person who knows people from Oka that feel this way.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
The first step is admittance. With very few exceptions all the new Sooner fans have crowed about their "generational" offense. I guess they think there's nothing wrong with the defense and that all their offenses are that good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I'd make a different analogy...OU plays GSW/HOU.ROCKET offense and that fact alone should give Tide fans pause. You underestimate this edition of OKLAHOMA FOOTBALL at your own peril. You'd think you would have learned your lesson in the Sugar Bowl.
Bama & Saban did and if you’re expecting that style of defense in this game you’re sure to be quite disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Lol. My God. Has any one team gotten that much mileage out of one meaningless football game? Saban used that game for one reason: getting ready for next season. It was no accident that it was Henry’s coming out party.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.