US pulling out of Syria

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Time to pull out one's Clausewitz and ponder a bit.
For me, the question goes back to "What are the U.S. interests in Syria, and how vital are they?"
Some interests are more vital than others (maintaining constitutional order, protecting the territorial integrity of the U.S. are ones you obviously go to the mat over. Other interests are not so vital (e.g. protecting the U.S.-Argentina trade relationship).
Clausewtiz said that the intensity of the interest is proportional to the amount of effort a country expends defending it. If Argentina declared it was outlawing trade with the United States, the U.S. would probably not go to war over that. If Mexico announced it was taking California back, the U.S. would go to war to prevent this.
I always thought that Obama got the effort level in Syria about right. Daesh is a bunch of scary murdering buttholes deserving of as much death as the U.S. wanted to deal out, but they are not an existential threat to the U.S.
Insurgencies never have a surrender ceremony on the deck of the USS Missouri. Generally, they just peter out. So, if the U.S. policy is to attrit Daesh down to the level where they do not threaten the U.S. or its allies, then maybe we are about at that point. If the U.S. policy is to aid the most democratic faction in winning the war against Assad, then we are going to need a lot more forces and a lot more will. Neither seem available. Maybe we can settle for helping the anti-Assad Kurds maintain their enclave.
Do the Iranians benefit from this? Probably. Do the Russians benefit from this, sure. That in and of itself is no reason to continue to expend blood and treasure in a policy that contains no viable theory of victory.
The bigger issue for me is the loss of the services of Saint Mattis of Quantico, which seems to be related to this policy announcement.

That really does bother me.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
A desperate struggle for survival inside the last corner of the Islamic State

I feel sorry for the women and children, but for the men of Daesh, it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys.

Washington Post said:
On the front lines, the fighters started to panic. Two Yazidis and a Syrian woman said they had witnessed open fighting between the jihadists in the final week. On one occasion, a Tunisian fighter pulled his gun on a Syrian fighter and shot him at close range.
These jokers make Nazis look like gentlemen.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
A desperate struggle for survival inside the last corner of the Islamic State

I feel sorry for the women and children, but for the men of Daesh, it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys.

These jokers make Nazis look like gentlemen.
I watched a documentary last night called "Of Fathers And Sons". Somehow, the filmmaker was allowed to go inside al-Nusra territory in Northern Syria, and film a fighter and his family up close.

I did a cursory Google search for al-Nusra. What a bunch of abject insanity. They hate everybody. Even their former allies in the Syrian resistance.

And I knew they were oppressive toward women. It wasn't until late in the film before I even saw a female. And it was because she dared to leave the house. The al-Nusra guy was complaining that she wasn't wearing a chador, and how women should stay indoors.

Along the way, the kids are playing "war", and bragging about how their Dad cut some guy's head off.

I know one place I won't be visiting for vacations anytime soon.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I watched a documentary last night called "Of Fathers And Sons". Somehow, the filmmaker was allowed to go inside al-Nusra territory in Northern Syria, and film a fighter and his family up close.

I did a cursory Google search for al-Nusra. What a bunch of abject insanity. They hate everybody. Even their former allies in the Syrian resistance.

And I knew they were oppressive toward women. It wasn't until late in the film before I even saw a female. And it was because she dared to leave the house. The al-Nusra guy was complaining that she wasn't wearing a chador, and how women should stay indoors.

Along the way, the kids are playing "war", and bragging about how their Dad cut some guy's head off.

I know one place I won't be visiting for vacations anytime soon.
Damascus used to be quite nice, but I haven't been there in a long time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.