US pulling out of Syria

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Lordy, today must be Putin's lucky day. First Trump pulls out of Syria, and now he's dropping sanctions. Kinda makes you wonder who leaked that signed document about the Trump-Moscow deal.

Trump to terminate sanctions on Russian aluminum company Rusal
So you think we should be in Syria? Under what pretense? Humanitarian or securing the right of ways for oil and gas to flow through Syria to Europe? Did you really think our government gave a crap about the Syrians? Destabilize the current regime that won't play ball. Install a new regime that will. Rinse and repeat. Welcome to US foreign diplomacy.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Did I say that?

Whether we should or shouldn't have ever gotten involved, Syria is a proxy war for regional influence between us and Russia. And now we're withdrawing. Putin is smiling tonight.
Who cares? Let Putin have it. The last thing we need is to be fighting for control of oil. Europe needs it & Putin will control the pipelines or proposed pipelines coming from Iran, Iraq and the Qatar. He jacks up the prices, we're now a net exporter so we'll export to Europe instead at a slightly lower price, in the mean time watching our economy go through the roof. I'm not really sure where the loss is.

By us selling to Europe instead of buying from Iran, it weakens Iran too. This is full of win. As you guys were joking earlier, but this is a helluva chess match. ;)

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Who cares? Let Putin have it. The last thing we need is to be fighting for control of oil. Europe needs it & Putin will control the pipelines or proposed pipelines coming from Iran, Iraq and the Qatar. He jacks up the prices, we're now a net exporter so we'll export to Europe instead at a slightly lower price, in the mean time watching our economy go through the roof. I'm not really sure where the loss is.

By us selling to Europe instead of buying from Iran, it weakens Iran too. This is full of win. As you guys were joking earlier, but this is a helluva chess match. ;)
The worst mistake we've ever made was in thinking some cultures are ready for liberal democracy.

I can remember this place getting giddy during the Arab Spring. While there is still hope for places like Tunisia(maybe), by and large, all that occurred by throwing out the neo-fascist pan-Arabists....was to bring in an invasion of ISIS, Islamist, anti-democratic forces, all with the full support of the gangsters in charge in Moscow.

Assad is a murderous thug, as has his family been for generations. But a benign one at that. I.e., he enslaves, impoverishes, and abuses Syrians, but rarely causes trouble outside his country's borders. (Numerous incursions with Israel put an end to that).

Hindsight is always 20/20. I'm sure Ronald Reagan would have loved to have taken out Quaddafi. He pretty much tried with those F-111 bombing runs. And taking out Saddam didn't do anything more than create a different set of problems for the US. Iran had been wanting Saddam gone for decades, and we did their job for him without them firing a shot.

Had Obama ordered a unilateral pullout from Syria, heads would have exploded in right-wing circles. Yet, Trump made this decision with hardly a voice raised. Oh yeah, Aunt Pitty Pat clutched his pearls yesterday, but he will fall back in line like the rest of them.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The worst mistake we've ever made was in thinking some cultures are ready for liberal democracy.

I can remember this place getting giddy during the Arab Spring. While there is still hope for places like Tunisia(maybe), by and large, all that occurred by throwing out the neo-fascist pan-Arabists....was to bring in an invasion of ISIS, Islamist, anti-democratic forces, all with the full support of the gangsters in charge in Moscow.

Assad is a murderous thug, as has his family been for generations. But a benign one at that. I.e., he enslaves, impoverishes, and abuses Syrians, but rarely causes trouble outside his country's borders. (Numerous incursions with Israel put an end to that).

Hindsight is always 20/20. I'm sure Ronald Reagan would have loved to have taken out Quaddafi. He pretty much tried with those F-111 bombing runs. And taking out Saddam didn't do anything more than create a different set of problems for the US. Iran had been wanting Saddam gone for decades, and we did their job for him without them firing a shot.

Had Obama ordered a unilateral pullout from Syria, heads would have exploded in right-wing circles. Yet, Trump made this decision with hardly a voice raised. Oh yeah, Aunt Pitty Pat clutched his pearls yesterday, but he will fall back in line like the rest of them.
I always though hindsight was 50/50. :confused:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Obama ordered us into Syria to begin with. We had no reason to be there but hey...he "promised" to get us out of Afghanistan and Iraq too, but we're still there. But you're right, we created power vacuums that can't be filled now without our intervention.

As for Assad, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think he's the murderous thug. His brother, who runs the Republican Guard, on the other hand, is bat [crap] crazy. The Assad in "power" never wanted the gig. He's an Ophthalmologist by training and wanted to live in London. When his brother wrapped his car around the light post, the elder Assad called him home thinking he would probably be better than the younger crazier than hell brother. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Obama ordered us into Syria to begin with. We had no reason to be there but hey...he "promised" to get us out of Afghanistan and Iraq too, but we're still there. But you're right, we created power vacuums that can't be filled now without our intervention.

As for Assad, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think he's the murderous thug. His brother, who runs the Republican Guard, on the other hand, is bat [crap] crazy. The Assad in "power" never wanted the gig. He's an Ophthalmologist by training and wanted to live in London. When his brother wrapped his car around the light post, the elder Assad called him home thinking he would probably be better than the younger crazier than hell brother. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out.
So, you're saying that Bashir Assad is the Michael Corleone of the Assad crime family. The hand-picked successor gets killed, and he gets pulled into the family business.

He may have wanted that life as a docile, London opthalmologist, but the power and money was too great.

He may be a nicer, more polished thug than Saddam, but he's still a thug.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
So, you're saying that Bashir Assad is the Michael Corleone of the Assad crime family. The hand-picked successor gets killed, and he gets pulled into the family business.

He may have wanted that life as a docile, London opthalmologist, but the power and money was too great.
I do not think Bashar was given a choice.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

He may be a nicer, more polished thug than Saddam, but he's still a thug.
His dad was Hafez, btw. ;)

Saddam was in the "other" country where of course, both of his boys were bat "crap" crazy...I remember reading one story about one of the sons beating the national soccer team on the soles of their feet for losing a match.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.