How long will UGA put up with Kirby if 2019 ends in a failure?

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
They would be beyond stupid to complain about him 'failing' next year if that only means just winning the East.

I don't like Kirby AT ALL but you can't just ignore him getting them to just 3 downs away from a National Championship in year 2 followed by losing a close 7 point game in the SECCG in year 3.

Heck, I mean if they had not lost to LSU this year they are probably in the CFP again right now instead of ND or OU.

They would = LSU turning on Les Miles for the sin of not being CNS.

But again I don't like UGA and I especially don't like Kirby so hopefully they will turn on each other and melt into irrelevance.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
They would be beyond stupid to complain about him 'failing' next year if that only means just winning the East.

I don't like Kirby AT ALL but you can't just ignore him getting them to just 3 downs away from a National Championship in year 2 followed by losing a close 7 point game in the SECCG in year 3.

Heck, I mean if they had not lost to LSU this year they are probably in the CFP again right now instead of ND or OU.

But again I don't like UGA and I especially don't like Kirby so hopefully they will turn on each other and melt into irrelevance.
Agreed. I think the only time they would get upset with Kirby is if he starts losing championship games to people other than CNS. So if CNS retires sometime soon and his successor still beats Kirby or if Pruitt/Mullen start beating Kirby in the East. THEN they would start to lose patience with him.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
Another thread so we can bash Kirby Smart :rolleye2:. I think the reason that people start threads like this is because they see that Kirby and Georgia is a legitimate threat to Coach Saban and Bama. Kirby has done a great job at Georgia and has returned them to a top tier program. As long as he continues to recruit at a high level, UGA will continue to be in the mix - year end year out. Also remember, Kirby is just 42 years old and just in his 3rd year as a college head coach. He will get better with experience. He is not at Coach Saban's level but Coach Saban wasn't at age 42 either.

Also Coach Saban has had high level recruits transfer and at the QB position (Blake Barnett, Star Jackson, Philip Sims, etc) so the knock on Kirby for Fields transferring is ridiculous. Fields wants to play and he will go somewhere that gives him a better chance to play. It is part of doing business in big time college football when you recruit at a high level.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

well, i for one don't ignore this. i try to point it out to as many uga people as possible. i also bring the 2012 seccg into the discussion as well.

i am hoping for santa to bring me a uga horseshoes and handgrenades team jersey.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Here's the "problem" I think most UGA fans are facing right now. If it wasn't for Alabama they would have won the NC last year and probably would have won it this year also. Kirby will continue to attract elite talent but as we know it also takes a lot of luck (injury and otherwise) to make it through the SEC and then beat 2 quality teams in the playoffs. The fact they squandered the last 2 years, in terms of the NC, has to be a hard pill to swallow for UGA fans. To answer the question of the thread I think UGA fans will want to keep Kirby around for a long time but I also think they will look back on 2017 and 2018 as the best chance they had to win a NC. UT and UF are on the rise and thus the east won't continue to be a cake walk..

Last edited:

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Another thread so we can bash Kirby Smart :rolleye2:. I think the reason that people start threads like this is because they see that Kirby and Georgia is a legitimate threat to Coach Saban and Bama. Kirby has done a great job at Georgia and has returned them to a top tier program. As long as he continues to recruit at a high level, UGA will continue to be in the mix - year end year out. Also remember, Kirby is just 42 years old and just in his 3rd year as a college head coach. He will get better with experience. He is not at Coach Saban's level but Coach Saban wasn't at age 42 either.

Also Coach Saban has had high level recruits transfer and at the QB position (Blake Barnett, Star Jackson, Philip Sims, etc) so the knock on Kirby for Fields transferring is ridiculous. Fields wants to play and he will go somewhere that gives him a better chance to play. It is part of doing business in big time college football when you recruit at a high level.
This is exactly correct. No one spends much energy talking about whether Orgeron can get LSU back to our level or win a title, because we know the answer is no even though he's been the head coach at LSU as long as Smart at UGA. Smart and Georgia are competing with us almost in-step on the field and in recruiting. No one has done that in Saban's tenure at Alabama, not even Meyer. I hope we never lose to Georgia again, much less as long as Saban is here, but the reality is that they are our biggest threat in the SEC and perhaps nationally.

I'm sure there is some crazed fringe element of their fan base that is so frustrated with the way they have lost the last two years to us that wonder if Smart has what it takes. However, living in Georgia and having many UGA friends, I can tell you that the overwhelming majority are extremely happy with what Smart has done so far and the direction the program is headed.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I find it quite humorous that he is no better than Richt after 3 seasons.

Georgia is the eternal optimist fan base though. As someone else said, they will wet their pants with excitement over next season. Or the next Hershel Walker. Or the next this or that. That will buy Kirby a lot of time.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Why is everyone so obsessed with Kirby Smart? He has done a pretty good job so far there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
This question is ridiculous. Georgia had Alabama on the ropes twice in the past year (who else can say that) and is recruiting right at Alabama's level.

You can probably argue if you want that he is the #3 coach in the nation behind Saban and Dabo.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Why is everyone so obsessed with Kirby Smart? He has done a pretty good job so far there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn't say everyone is obsessed. Nothing wrong with acknowledging that Kirby has found almost instant success at UGA while at the same time failing in the biggest of games like Richt was known to do.

The interest in talking about it is half poking fun (100% schadenfreude for 92Tide;)) at their continued heart-break at our hands and half giving Kirby and UGA recognition for becoming our new #1 Primary SEC threat.

Going forward it looks like you can bet on us having to play 2 exact teams EVERY SINGLE YEAR on the path to a possible NC...

UGA..... and of course.... Clemson.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Whereas Clemson gets Bama and Pitt...LOL...
I wouldn't say everyone is obsessed. Nothing wrong with acknowledging that Kirby has found almost instant success at UGA while at the same time failing in the biggest of games like Richt was known to do.

The interest in talking about it is half poking fun (100% schadenfreude for 92Tide;)) at their continued heart-break at our hands and half giving Kirby and UGA recognition for becoming our new #1 Primary SEC threat.

Going forward it looks like you can bet on us having to play 2 exact teams EVERY SINGLE YEAR on the path to a possible NC...

UGA..... and of course.... Clemson.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This question is ridiculous. Georgia had Alabama on the ropes twice in the past year (who else can say that) and is recruiting right at Alabama's level.

You can probably argue if you want that he is the #3 coach in the nation behind Saban and Dabo.
I think the question is asked IRT winning a NC. That's why they brought in Kirby and got rid of Richt. Also, college football is a fickle sport. Right now it looks like UGA will continue to be a top team and playoff contender for the foreseeable future but things can change quickly. If Fields transfers and Fromm gets hurt next year or they just have some bad luck then the fan base would start to get impatient because the fan mentality at this point is NC or bust. I don't think anyone realistically thinks Kirby would be on the hot seat in the next few years but fans will start to grow impatient due to the amount of resources the administration has put into the Kirby regime and how much talent they're bringing in. They expect a NC every year so based on those expectations I think they'll be disappointed in the next few years..

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
With the hiring of Mullen at Florida, I think Kirby and UGA are in a one to two year window where they have an easy path to the SECCG. Because when Mullen gets his guys and has his system in place. Georgia will have to actually win their conference rather than play scrimmages in the east while game planning for Alabama all year.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
With the hiring of Mullen at Florida, I think Kirby and UGA are in a one to two year window where they have an easy path to the SECCG. Because when Mullen gets his guys and has his system in place. Georgia will have to actually win their conference rather than play scrimmages in the east while game planning for Alabama all year.
I think Pruitt and UT will be a problem for them also. That's what I alluded to in an earlier post. UGA had 2 years where they would have won the NC if it wasn't for Alabama. Now, no telling when they'll make the playoffs or the NC game again. Could be next year or could be years down the road..

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
Georgia has been top 5 last couple years. If i was a Georgia fan, I would be pretty happy. They just happen to run into the greatest dynasty in college football. Much like bama ran into Florida/Tebow early in the Saban years. It takes time and need to get a couple breaks going your way. rtr

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I hate it that I'd like for Pruitt and Tennessee to really become a thorn in his side, but then I'm wishing success for Tennessee! A harsh dilemma. But I do hate Kirbs, so at least I'm not going to complain if Pruitt starts stealing recruits and wins from him.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
As long as they put up with Vince Dooley, plus a 5-10 year premium for being an UGA grad. It's Georgia, after all. They will allow him to struggle against Saban with the thought that Saban will retire in 5-7 years max, and Kirby will be in his prime. Then they will expect him to be "the guy", but they don't need him to dominate like Saban in order to crown him the new GOAT. They did that with Dooley as well, and he was coaching in the Bryant Era. I think Kirby could be at UGA until 2040 and if he wins 1 national title before he's done, he will be revered in Georgia forever.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Well, I don’t know about anyone else, but I live in Georgia . That’s all we hear is Georgia is great, Bama is in decline. We hear it everywhere. Couple that with the negative recruiting, and it’s not just here, the A&M board has a couple of Kirby recruiting tactics threads. Makes uGly an easy target. If you think we are bashing Kirby, go to the Georgia boards, half 5he threads are about Bama/Saban.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.