UGA Class Ranking

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
Bama signed only 23 not 26. The guys with no rating are JC players. As far as recruiting rankings go, both teams will be signing a few more in February but Georgia would have to really blow it out the water then to catch us, but as you said it really does not matter. They were the number one class last year and Mr. five Star Fields was the top signee in the class and now he is transferring so how does that #1 ranking look now? What really matters is how this class still looks three to four years from now. Look then and see what they have accomplished and then rank them based on that you will get a lot better result.
I absolutely agree with your statement I highlighted above. We all can point to 5* busts, as well as 3*'s that excel. Deondre Baker the 2018 Thorpe Award winner for the best DB in the country was a 3* coming out of HS. Good coaching has made him significantly better than when he arrived in Athens. I think too much is made of player ratings, but I understand why we as recruitniks pay attention to them.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I absolutely agree with your statement I highlighted above. We all can point to 5* busts, as well as 3*'s that excel. Deondre Baker the 2018 Thorpe Award winner for the best DB in the country was a 3* coming out of HS. Good coaching has made him significantly better than when he arrived in Athens. I think too much is made of player ratings, but I understand why we as recruitniks pay attention to them.
Agreed as well. Signing them is great, but managing 5 star egos, and breaking bad habits of a lot of kids that have been by far the best athlete on the field their whole life cannot be understated. Finding diamonds in the rough is part of it too.

All that said, signing a bunch of 4 and 5 star guys doesn't guarantee anything, but it greatly increases the chances of being a great team.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Even if UGA beats us in the recruiting numbers, we already won. This recruiting class we just got is loaded in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Ole Nick and company sure did get back to the basics with this class. The OL class we are getting maybe the best OL class we have had under Nick and Trey Sanders maybe the best RB we have had under Nick as well. That guy has Saquon Barkley written all over him. And don't sleep on this incoming DL class either. They are going to be some terrorizers.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Posted this in another thread. Applicable here also..

After looking at some numbers it's a lot closer than I thought in terms of just overall talent between UGA and Bama. Player development is another story but this is the ESPN 300 signees by SEC teams over the last three years. This does not include players committed to sign in February:

Alabama 53
Georgia 52
LSU 34
Florida 29
Auburn 28
Tex A&M 25
Carolina 16
Tenn 16
Miss St 10
Ole Miss 9
Arkansas 5
Kentucky 4
Vandy 3
Missouri 2

Pretty stunning that we have roughly twice as many ESPN 300 recruits as AU and A&M and a really wide gap between us and LSU. UGA is the only team in our class talent wise..
Looking that list over, it’s clear we have superior talent . Which feeds the argument that Nick is a great recruiter, not necessarily a great coach. I hear that a lot from rivals. I think the two go hand in hand, But that doesn’t explain 2008 when Nick didn’t have superior talent .

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
Looking that list over, it’s clear we have superior talent . Which feeds the argument that Nick is a great recruiter, not necessarily a great coach. I hear that a lot from rivals. I think the two go hand in hand, But that doesn’t explain 2008 when Nick didn’t have superior talent .
Or even more recently, the two games against Georgia. Georgia is an equally talented team if you are looking strictly at rankings coming out of hs. It is the development that sets CNS apart. He is a great defensive mind, excellent evaluator, but what sets him apart is managing and developing a roster, both coaches and players. CFB used to be viewed as cyclical, CNS has put it on everyone's mind that you can win big year after year, it used to be a given that a great team would take a step back. He has completely changed that narrative

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Pete Carroll, who I respect, did the same thing at USC that Saban has done in recruiting in the early to late 2000's. In 9 years he won 1 NC (they say 2 but the AP NC in 2003 was not the BCS). He had #1 recruiting classes after another and at one time had 6 McDonald All-Americans at RB alone IIRC. It's great to get the Jimmy and the Joe's but you have to be something amazingly special to win NC's on a regular basis. Next time you hear from your rivals tell them to see Pete Carroll.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This info suggests Saban is more than just a great recruiter. Rival fans gonna rival fan.

https://247sports.com/Article/Alaba...ing-5-stars-into-first-round-picks-117872125/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
I ran across this recruiting tidbit today.

"Alabama’s blue-chip percentages are still slightly higher — 77 percent for previous four years, and 96 percent so far for 2019 — but UGA’s not far behind and its gap over most of the rest of the country is growing rapidly.

Talent doesn’t just matter in pursuit of national championships though, it can be a crucial edge each Saturday as well.
The college football writer, Matt Hinton did a study in 2013 regarding how predictive star rankings were in determining which teams would win and lose games. The results were in his words, “overwhelming.”

Examining games played over a three-year span — a total of 1,028 games — Hinton found the team with the higher-rated recruits “won almost exactly two-thirds of the time (66.4 percent of the time, to be exact.)”

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Doesn't do me any good unless I know if they covered...:pDTC_011:
Merry Christmas to the whole lot of you and your families!!!...actually, to anyone that's important to you!!!
I enjoy the heck out of my time here on TF!!! Thanks mods and every single poster...OU,UGA,Aub...that includes all of you too!!!
Roll Tide!!!

on TideFans.com

"Alabama’s blue-chip percentages are still slightly higher — 77 percent for previous four years, and 96 percent so far for 2019 — but UGA’s not far behind and its gap over most of the rest of the country is growing rapidly.

Talent doesn’t just matter in pursuit of national championships though, it can be a crucial edge each Saturday as well.
The college football writer, Matt Hinton did a study in 2013 regarding how predictive star rankings were in determining which teams would win and lose games. The results were in his words, “overwhelming.”

Examining games played over a three-year span — a total of 1,028 games — Hinton found the team with the higher-rated recruits “won almost exactly two-thirds of the time (66.4 percent of the time, to be exact.)”

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

IMO, this is underwhelming. When you add in the fact that players that are being recruited by the "better" programs are going to be more highly rated just by that fact, it just another log on the fire telling me that the evaluations of any particular player are very imprecise.

What I AM NOT SAYING is that talent does not matter - it surely does. It is probably the greatest factor in the success of a player and even a team of players.

What I AM NOT SAYING is that player ratings/evaluations do not matter - they do have value. Though they are not nearly as important as actual talent as well as intangibles and coaching, the "evaluators" have some ability, but they are greatly influenced by which programs are recruiting a player which may or may not have meaning in any particular case. But in aggregate the ratings usually matter.

But ratings are also somewhat self-fulfilling. Bama is going to get the benefit of the doubt if they are recruiting a player because of CNS' evaluation skill and Bama's proven success. OSU will get the same but only because of proven success. UGA will get the same but because they are sitting on a pile of talent. And so on...

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

Yeah, I also think that stat is underwhelming. I would expect the team with more talent to win more often than just 2/3 of the time. This shows me it isn't just about the Jimmies and the Joes. That clearly has a lot to do with it, but if it were only about having the most talent, the most talented team would win 100% of the time instead of just 66%. Obviously, coaching, execution, effort, and luck play a role in who wins ballgames, too. Fortunately, we have great talent, coaching, execution, and effort that continue to make us successful.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.