UGA Class Ranking - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!

Re: UGA Class Ranking

UGA had a better class than us on paper last year, but there may not be a better player in their whole class than Waddle and Surtain.
    Sumlin, Malzahn, and even Butch Jones signed some unreal classes that never came close to reaching their potential.
    Saban's ability to sign, manage, and maximize top classes is what sets him apart. Kirby may end up being able to do the same thing, but so far he hasn't proved that yet.

2. Advertisement

This from ESPN website is curious. Why mention UGA in latest win vs Bama with Dean, but not mention anything about UGA Losing out to Bama with the prospects above and below, Sanders and Neal?
    to 16 and beyond........

Quote Originally Posted by TideFan in AU View Post
    UGA had a better class than us on paper last year, but there may not be a better player in their whole class than Waddle and Surtain.
    Sumlin, Malzahn, and even Butch Jones signed some unreal classes that never came close to reaching their potential.
    Saban's ability to sign, manage, and maximize top classes is what sets him apart. Kirby may end up being able to do the same thing, but so far he hasn't proved that yet.
    Kirby’s crown jewel in that class was Fields, and he is leaving. Probably Luke Ford as well. Also, in our class from last year, You left out Anoma, who will be a beast. A beast A BEAST!

I don’t see UGA overtaking Bama in this cycle. BAMA will probably sign more and the avg player rating is higher than Georgia’s. So if they sign 4 and we sign 4, all around the same avg , They will still fall far short. Unless something drastic happens, this will be the #1 class
    Last edited by bamaga; December 20th, 2018 at 05:39 PM.
    to 16 and beyond........

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    Kirby’s crown jewel in that class was Fields, and he is leaving. Probably Luke Ford as well. Also, in our class from last year, You left out Anoma, who will be a beast. A beast A BEAST!
    Oh I agree, I'm just making the point that we already know we have a lock down corner and a WR that is among the best in the country ALREADY along with being a dangerous return man. Anoma, Davis, Wynn, Jobe, and Kaho are all most likely going to be studs from the class, but Waddle and Surtain are at least All SEC caliber players today.

BamaNation First Team Elwood Crimson's Avatar

Hope we pickup another good coach/recruiter for DC/Maryland.
    That area has been good to us!

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

Posted this in another thread. Applicable here also..

After looking at some numbers it's a lot closer than I thought in terms of just overall talent between UGA and Bama. Player development is another story but this is the ESPN 300 signees by SEC teams over the last three years. This does not include players committed to sign in February:

Alabama 53
    Georgia 52
    LSU 34
    Florida 29
    Auburn 28
    Tex A&M 25
    Carolina 16
    Tenn 16
    Miss St 10
    Ole Miss 9
    Arkansas 5
    Kentucky 4
    Vandy 3
    Missouri 2

Pretty stunning that we have roughly twice as many ESPN 300 recruits as AU and A&M and a really wide gap between us and LSU. UGA is the only team in our class talent wise..

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

In a possible answer to your question I believe some of the ranking services only evaluate the top "X" number of signees to help compare classes of different sizes.
    BS 1989

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside13 View Post
    Bama signed only 23 not 26. The guys with no rating are JC players. As far as recruiting rankings go, both teams will be signing a few more in February but Georgia would have to really blow it out the water then to catch us, but as you said it really does not matter. They were the number one class last year and Mr. five Star Fields was the top signee in the class and now he is transferring so how does that #1 ranking look now? What really matters is how this class still looks three to four years from now. Look then and see what they have accomplished and then rank them based on that you will get a lot better result.
    I absolutely agree with your statement I highlighted above. We all can point to 5* busts, as well as 3*'s that excel. Deondre Baker the 2018 Thorpe Award winner for the best DB in the country was a 3* coming out of HS. Good coaching has made him significantly better than when he arrived in Athens. I think too much is made of player ratings, but I understand why we as recruitniks pay attention to them.

Quote Originally Posted by DawgByte View Post
    I absolutely agree with your statement I highlighted above. We all can point to 5* busts, as well as 3*'s that excel. Deondre Baker the 2018 Thorpe Award winner for the best DB in the country was a 3* coming out of HS. Good coaching has made him significantly better than when he arrived in Athens. I think too much is made of player ratings, but I understand why we as recruitniks pay attention to them.
    Agreed as well. Signing them is great, but managing 5 star egos, and breaking bad habits of a lot of kids that have been by far the best athlete on the field their whole life cannot be understated. Finding diamonds in the rough is part of it too.

All that said, signing a bunch of 4 and 5 star guys doesn't guarantee anything, but it greatly increases the chances of being a great team.
    ďAnd the roses in this grand olí stadium are once again Crimson!Ē - Eli Gold, 1-7-10

Alabama wasnít just dominating Monday night. They were some word that has yet to be invented in the English language. - Aaron Torres, 1-10-12

"If this was a prize fight, they'd call it off!" - Brent Musberger, 1-7-13

"Alabama, back on top of the College Football world!" - Chris Fowler, 1-11-16

"Touchdown!!! Alabama Wins!!!" - Chris Fowler, 1-8-18

Even if UGA beats us in the recruiting numbers, we already won. This recruiting class we just got is loaded in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Ole Nick and company sure did get back to the basics with this class. The OL class we are getting maybe the best OL class we have had under Nick and Trey Sanders maybe the best RB we have had under Nick as well. That guy has Saquon Barkley written all over him. And don't sleep on this incoming DL class either. They are going to be some terrorizers.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    Look at Avg Score per signee..... we have the highest on 247...
    Didnít we have the same last cycle?

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    Posted this in another thread. Applicable here also..

After looking at some numbers it's a lot closer than I thought in terms of just overall talent between UGA and Bama. Player development is another story but this is the ESPN 300 signees by SEC teams over the last three years. This does not include players committed to sign in February:

Alabama 53
    Georgia 52
    LSU 34
    Florida 29
    Auburn 28
    Tex A&M 25
    Carolina 16
    Tenn 16
    Miss St 10
    Ole Miss 9
    Arkansas 5
    Kentucky 4
    Vandy 3
    Missouri 2

Pretty stunning that we have roughly twice as many ESPN 300 recruits as AU and A&M and a really wide gap between us and LSU. UGA is the only team in our class talent wise..
    Looking that list over, it’s clear we have superior talent . Which feeds the argument that Nick is a great recruiter, not necessarily a great coach. I hear that a lot from rivals. I think the two go hand in hand, But that doesn’t explain 2008 when Nick didn’t have superior talent .
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    Didn’t we have the same last cycle?
    Last year we were 5th in average .....behind UGA, tOSU, Texas and Clemson
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung