UGA Class Ranking - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BamaNation Second Team

Re: UGA Class Ranking

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    Looking that list over, it’s clear we have superior talent . Which feeds the argument that Nick is a great recruiter, not necessarily a great coach. I hear that a lot from rivals. I think the two go hand in hand, But that doesn’t explain 2008 when Nick didn’t have superior talent .
    Or even more recently, the two games against Georgia. Georgia is an equally talented team if you are looking strictly at rankings coming out of hs. It is the development that sets CNS apart. He is a great defensive mind, excellent evaluator, but what sets him apart is managing and developing a roster, both coaches and players. CFB used to be viewed as cyclical, CNS has put it on everyone's mind that you can win big year after year, it used to be a given that a great team would take a step back. He has completely changed that narrative

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Looking that list over, itís clear we have superior talent . Which feeds the argument that Nick is a great recruiter, not necessarily a great coach. I hear that a lot from rivals. I think the two go hand in hand, But that doesnít explain 2008 when Nick didnít have superior talent .
    Pete Carroll, who I respect, did the same thing at USC that Saban has done in recruiting in the early to late 2000's. In 9 years he won 1 NC (they say 2 but the AP NC in 2003 was not the BCS). He had #1 recruiting classes after another and at one time had 6 McDonald All-Americans at RB alone IIRC. It's great to get the Jimmy and the Joe's but you have to be something amazingly special to win NC's on a regular basis. Next time you hear from your rivals tell them to see Pete Carroll.

Looking that list over, itís clear we have superior talent . Which feeds the argument that Nick is a great recruiter, not necessarily a great coach. I hear that a lot from rivals. I think the two go hand in hand, But that doesnít explain 2008 when Nick didnít have superior talent .
    This info suggests Saban is more than just a great recruiter. Rival fans gonna rival fan.

https://247sports.com/Article/Alabam...cks-117872125/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Second Team

I ran across this recruiting tidbit today.

"Alabama’s blue-chip percentages are still slightly higher — 77 percent for previous four years, and 96 percent so far for 2019 — but UGA’s not far behind and its gap over most of the rest of the country is growing rapidly.

Talent doesn’t just matter in pursuit of national championships though, it can be a crucial edge each Saturday as well.
    The college football writer, Matt Hinton did a study in 2013 regarding how predictive star rankings were in determining which teams would win and lose games. The results were in his words, “overwhelming.”

Examining games played over a three-year span — a total of 1,028 games — Hinton found the team with the higher-rated recruits “won almost exactly two-thirds of the time (66.4 percent of the time, to be exact.)”

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Doesn't do me any good unless I know if they covered...
    Merry Christmas to the whole lot of you and your families!!!...actually, to anyone that's important to you!!!
    I enjoy the heck out of my time here on TF!!! Thanks mods and every single poster...OU,UGA,Aub...that includes all of you too!!!
    Roll Tide!!!

on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgByte View Post

"Alabama’s blue-chip percentages are still slightly higher — 77 percent for previous four years, and 96 percent so far for 2019 — but UGA’s not far behind and its gap over most of the rest of the country is growing rapidly.

Talent doesn’t just matter in pursuit of national championships though, it can be a crucial edge each Saturday as well.
    The college football writer, Matt Hinton did a study in 2013 regarding how predictive star rankings were in determining which teams would win and lose games. The results were in his words, “overwhelming.”

Examining games played over a three-year span — a total of 1,028 games — Hinton found the team with the higher-rated recruits “won almost exactly two-thirds of the time (66.4 percent of the time, to be exact.)”

BamaNation All-American

IMO, this is underwhelming. When you add in the fact that players that are being recruited by the "better" programs are going to be more highly rated just by that fact, it just another log on the fire telling me that the evaluations of any particular player are very imprecise.

What I AM NOT SAYING is that talent does not matter - it surely does. It is probably the greatest factor in the success of a player and even a team of players.

What I AM NOT SAYING is that player ratings/evaluations do not matter - they do have value. Though they are not nearly as important as actual talent as well as intangibles and coaching, the "evaluators" have some ability, but they are greatly influenced by which programs are recruiting a player which may or may not have meaning in any particular case. But in aggregate the ratings usually matter.

But ratings are also somewhat self-fulfilling. Bama is going to get the benefit of the doubt if they are recruiting a player because of CNS' evaluation skill and Bama's proven success. OSU will get the same but only because of proven success. UGA will get the same but because they are sitting on a pile of talent. And so on...

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Yeah, I also think that stat is underwhelming. I would expect the team with more talent to win more often than just 2/3 of the time. This shows me it isn't just about the Jimmies and the Joes. That clearly has a lot to do with it, but if it were only about having the most talent, the most talented team would win 100% of the time instead of just 66%. Obviously, coaching, execution, effort, and luck play a role in who wins ballgames, too. Fortunately, we have great talent, coaching, execution, and effort that continue to make us successful.