Someone is lying about UAB attendance

OldNavyTider

1st Team
Apr 16, 2007
Mount Olive, Alabama
It's great that you support UAB. They apparently have an excellent Head Coach and a very good team that is not being supported by FANNIES in seats. Go, Spencer Brown! And that wide receiver looked great with over 200 yards receiving. Can't remember his name, but he is good. That QB placed the ball where that receiver could catch it also. I really enjoyed watching them in the Bowl game against NIU. It was hard to believe this was a Bowl, since they were playing to a small high school crowd. I've seen much larger crowds at high school football games in Texas.

Roll Tide!!!!!!! Go Army!!! Go Navy!! Go UAB! FANS SUPPORT your teams. Normally, I do not pull for Army or Navy, since they both provide LEADERS for OUR military, but since Navy won about 14 consecutive games, I've pulled for Army the past three years. Now, let the best team win. I do like the way Army played Oklahoma this year. They totally dominated the Time of Possession.
You do not support them (Army/Navy) because they provide military leaders for the United States of America? Did I read that correctly? My friend, you have taken for granted the cloak of freedom provided to you by the US military defending the flag we live under for over 200 years.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Good Lord, it sounds as if you lose sleep over this. The tarps are in the end zone sections, my friend. Legion Field still holds over 70,000. You can put 25,000 people in the stands and it would still look empty. Welfare dollars? Given millions? Makes no since to me....interesting.
How can UAB pay Coach Clark (new contract that pays $900,000+ to $1.15 million in the 5th year of the new contract) and his assistants based on fans attendance at games? That $$$$$$$$ has to come from somewhere. How much did they receive from being in the Boca Raton Bowl? Do they have a financial agreement with TV in their Conference?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It's great that you support UAB. They apparently have an excellent Head Coach and a very good team that is not being supported by FANNIES in seats.
I will add this, my criticism of programs like UAB and South Alabama has always come down to fan support not being there, and their demands for external sources of funding. Look, if these programs could cut it on their own good for them. You don't see me telling Boise St. they should pack it up, or Eastern Carolina, or even Troy. The programs that seem to be pulling their own weight, who aren't asking for handouts and as importantly who do have real fans in the seats aren't the issue.

But, the laws of supply and demand should apply here. People shouldn't be forced into paying for a product there is no actual demand for.

The tarps are in the end zone sections, my friend. Legion Field still holds over 70,000. You can put 25,000 people in the stands and it would still look empty. Welfare dollars? Given millions? Makes no since to me....interesting.
Without tarps Legion Field holds over 70,000 (the 80K capacity was before they tore down the upper deck), with tarps it holds less than 50,000. The tarps are not just in the end zones (this is a very rare photo because due to it looking pretty much the same on game day they try to avoid such photography).

As you can see, even on the video, and anyone who went into the stadium would know (well may be not Baghdad Bob) the tarps are in the end zone, the upper portions and the lower portions of the seating, significantly reducing seating. They did this by the way to create the impression the stadium was more full, which makes the place looking so empty that much sadder.

Finally, you yourself claimed Paul Bryant Jr. tried to defund them. He'd have a heck of a time doing that if they were self-sufficient. They were funded to the tune of millions of dollars a year.

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
You do not support them (Army/Navy) because they provide military leaders for the United States of America? Did I read that correctly? My friend, you have taken for granted the cloak of freedom provided to you by the US military defending the flag we live under for over 200 years.
No I DO support both, but I've been pulling for Army the past three years because of that 14 consecutive win streak by Navy. I support BOTH, but pull for different teams as the years go by. Man, I did not mean for that "NOT" to be there. That will be removed. Should have proof read before sending. My apologies.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This is a legitimate question. Can someone give me a quick rundown on why a lot of Alabama fans wanted to shut down or keep the UAB football program from coming back? Is the UA budget affected by UAB in someway? I'm not really for or against UAB but notice a lot of Alabama fans were happy when UAB football was shut down and I never could really connect the dots as to why..

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I never could really connect the dots as to why..
Millions of dollars, which ultimately come from taxpayers, city and state taxes and the University of Alabama system have to go to keep the lights on for the UAB football program so to speak. It's why they were shut down, they're simply not economically viable. They never should have come into existence in the first place, it was just a vain move to create a program with no demand.

That is compounded by the fact that UAB in my opinion is basically representative of the also-rans of the FBS sports world. The reason that UCF can go undefeated, the reason that Boise St. could go undefeated, because there's this whole group of programs that basically only exist because the bar was lowered so far they were allowed in (the 85 scholarship limit and the NCAA looking the other way on the 15K attendance requirement).

Basically, there's no redeeming qualities here. They can't even get fans in the seats, so why are we paying for it?

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
CrimsonForce;[/B said:
3351354]This is a legitimate question. Can someone give me a quick rundown on why a lot of Alabama fans wanted to shut down or keep the UAB football program from coming back? Is the UA budget affected by UAB in someway? I'm not really for or against UAB but notice a lot of Alabama fans were happy when UAB football was shut down and I never could really connect the dots as to why..
I agree this is a legitimate question. How can you keep, maintain something that is NOT supported by FANS? Does the UAB basketball team have MORE fan support than the football team? UAB placed a quality product on the field this year. FANS, SUPPORT them by buying TICKETS. Don't FUND them with WORDS, fund them with tickets purchased by fans.

The problem I have with UAB is the FAN support. If you are going to have an activity that needs financial support, you need to put fannies in seats. That's the ONLY problem that I've had with UAB. Is this the PROBLEM: there are NOT enough people in the state to SUPPORT the football teams of the University of Alabama, Auburn University, UAB, JSU, USA, Troy, et al?

When the program was ended a few years ago, I thought is was because of LACK of FAN SUPPORT and therefore a lack of $funding$.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm okay with UAB having a program, but probably not a FBS one (at this point in time) . One huge problem IS that no one wants to go into Ensley and have to go to Legion Field. The new stadium will probably bring more attendance, but I think its going to be like everybody else in that its going to have issues keeping it full on a regular basis. I'm willing to give them 4 more years to build a brand under Clark, but I'm still of the opinion that they should've built a brand in FCS like Troy did before making the jump.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm okay with UAB having a program, but probably not a FBS one (at this point in time) . One huge problem IS that no one wants to go into Ensley and have to go to Legion Field. The new stadium will probably bring more attendance, but I think its going to be like everybody else in that its going to have issues keeping it full on a regular basis. I'm willing to give them 4 more years to build a brand under Clark, but I'm still of the opinion that they should've built a brand in FCS like Troy did before making the jump.
I agree. They'll have better attendance when the gentrified stadium location is done. I have no problem with 85 mostly in-state athletes getting a quality education.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I am fine with UAB having a football program. What tends to irritate me along with many other Bama fans is the whiny attitude of the few but noisy UAB fans that blame Bama for all their problems. There really isn't much support for UAB athletics. There is not a lot of support for many group of five teams. All of that is fine... just don't blame Bama for your problems.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I am fine with UAB having a FCS football program.
FIFY.

One would think they could field a decent product, with a budget that does not need additional taxpayer subsidies. The current product can not meet FBS requirements, and relies on a lot of shady external funding. (Yes, having the city or county buying tickets, that are given away, qualify as shady, in my book. That is the crux of the problem.)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
A lot of these G5 teams are gonna have decisions made for them because I think it is inevitable that the power conferences become their own entity that only competes amongst themselves. If you recognizing that this is an entertainment world where every little bit of monetization and fencing off of profit is the reality then you know this arrangement is inevitable. They'll expand the playoffs first but when faced between the choice of even more playoffs or a new strategy for controlling more of the money that use to go to the G5...what do you think the power conferences will choose?

UAB is gonna get relegated to an FCS-like status eventually. So will nearly half of the current FBS membership. Revenue will demand it.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
A lot of these G5 teams are gonna have decisions made for them because I think it is inevitable that the power conferences become their own entity that only competes amongst themselves. If you recognizing that this is an entertainment world where every little bit of monetization and fencing off of profit is the reality then you know this arrangement is inevitable. They'll expand the playoffs first but when faced between the choice of even more playoffs or a new strategy for controlling more of the money that use to go to the G5...what do you think the power conferences will choose?

UAB is gonna get relegated to an FCS-like status eventually. So will nearly half of the current FBS membership. Revenue will demand it.
I think once Texas or Notre Dame gets left out or has to play a G5 team in a big bowl game then we are heading to a super conference system

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Lying about attendance is pretty much common place now. How many times has our stadium "sold out" but looks like 80-90k are actually in the stadium?

UAB coming back was an excuse to get popular support for a new venue so the monied folks of B-ham could bring in 2nd or 3rd tier pro teams. I'm glad Bill Clark and his kids have enjoyed success due to this scheme though.
UAB has lied about their attendance all along.
(Nobody in Bham cared)
Even when they are playing pretty good ball,
no one goes to their games.
Building a new stadium is a Bham Sham.
They want to attract some 3rd rate pro teams
so they can claim to be a sports meca.
The Bham claim to fame has been the 'Classic'.
Good crowds do turn out for that game.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
UAB has lied about their attendance all along.
(Nobody in Bham cared)
Even when they are playing pretty good ball,
no one goes to their games.
Building a new stadium is a Bham Sham.
They want to attract some 3rd rate pro teams
so they can claim to be a sports meca.
The Bham claim to fame has been the 'Classic'.
Good crowds do turn out for that game.
Bham’s interest in the stadium is pretty well known. Every since they lost the State Championship they’ve tried to find a way to try to get it back and Legion Field is and has been a dump. I mean who really wants to go to Legion Field?

I think UAB deserves a team, and an on campus stadium, but they don’t need to be FBS. But Clark’s success isn’t going to allow for a FCS demotion.

SeattleBama

All-SEC
Aug 6, 2008
I wish THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA at Birmingham only the best in all endeavours, including football success. It's name alone is inextricably linked to Tuscaloosa. Not only that, I bet most people that read this post have a family member, or know someone that has been treated at UAB hospital.

The campus is intertwined with the hospital, and any success/spoils that UAB football may gain down the road will have a trickle-down effect. The attitude needs to change. The Blazers are not going to supplant the Crimson Tide. This coming from a long-standing Tide Pride member.

With that said, Roll Tide!!!!

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I think UAB deserves a team, and an on campus stadium, but they don’t need to be FBS. But Clark’s success isn’t going to allow for a FCS demotion.
How long do you think he will stay there? Only a matter of time before a larger program snatches him up. Then they will back in the "relegation zone".

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.