Reason: It Looks Like Trump Is About to Pull the U.S. Out of Afghanistan, Too - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Reason: It Looks Like Trump Is About to Pull the U.S. Out of Afghanistan, Too

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    I think the initial objective (eject the Taliban from power because they refused to handover bin Laden) was accomplished by December 2001, but killing bin Laden was nice as well. Sometimes I wish we had not dropped his sorry carcass into the ocean but had buried him face down with a severed pig's phallus shoved up his rectum, but that site would have become a shrine for moslems, so dropping his sorry carcass into the ocean is a good 2nd best solution.

On a related note, I liked Obama's decision to have SEALs shoot Somali pirates in the head on Easter Sunday.
    Well Iím wrong - I thought the reason was to get Bin Laden.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Re: Reason: It Looks Like Trump Is About to Pull the U.S. Out of Afghanistan, Too

For those of us who were around for Vietnam, the situation in Afghanistan has been eerily similar. No clear understanding of the mission, and no exit strategy for a war that eventually lost support of the American public. The greatest loss has been the deaths of US servicemen and women and the astronomical cost in actual dollars that could have helped so many at home and abroad. Not sure if we have learned anything from all of this, we sure as hell did not learn anything from our experience in Southeast Asia.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    For those of us who were around for Vietnam, the situation in Afghanistan has been eerily similar. No clear understanding of the mission, and no exit strategy for a war that eventually lost support of the American public. The greatest loss has been the deaths of US servicemen and women and the astronomical cost in actual dollars that could have helped so many at home and abroad. Not sure if we have learned anything from all of this, we sure as hell did not learn anything from our experience in Southeast Asia.
    Getting Bin Laden and destroying the Taliban were more valid reasons than we ever had for Vietnam; but there was abject failure by Bush to end it quickly, because as Tidewater pointed out the Taliban were routed fairly quickly. Bin Laden could have been captured/ killed in Afghanistan early on as well, but Bush was (still is) an idiot.
    But you are right inasmuch as there was no exit strategy (seems the good ol USA never has one), thus we fiddled around and allowed the resurgence of the Taliban and weíve been there forever.
    We had a goal; what is it about our government that prevents our outstanding military from achieving that goal quickly and efficiently, like they can, then coming home?
    Thatís a rhetorical question; I know the answer resides (now and back then as well) in the White House.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Well, the Russians were bogged down in Afghanistan from 1979-1992 and finally just pulled out, too bad we didn't learn from their experience. If I had to venture a guess as to why we did not leave Vietnam or Afghanistan when it was obvious we were not going to attain a clear cut win, it would be for political reasons driven by money and greed from lobbyists and Congress.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by twofbyc View Post
    But you are right inasmuch as there was no exit strategy (seems the good ol USA never has one), thus we fiddled around and allowed the resurgence of the Taliban and we’ve been there forever.
    We had a goal; what is it about our government that prevents our outstanding military from achieving that goal quickly and efficiently, like they can, then coming home?
    Defeating an Islamic extremist group and ejecting their government from power is easy.
    Building stable polity thereafter is more difficult and, frankly beyond DoD's power. If the defeated country wants to get their crap together and has a population educated enough to be modern (e.g. Germany and Japan in 1945), then they have a chance. If they are a bunch of medieval misanthropes, bent on remaining in the middle ages, there is no such hope.
    What guided the U.S. government into this quixotic goal was the thinking behind Charlie Wilson's War, one of the more pernicious films out there, the arrogant idea that we can force an unwilling people to become modern. No amount of blood and treasure can modernize Afghanistan, because the Afghans do not wish to be modern. They want to be archaic and are willing to die fighting to keep Afghanistan that way.
    If they allow terrorists attacking the U.S. to base their ops from Afghanistan territory again, I would rather bomb them from 35,000 feet and then laugh at their misery.
    Last edited by Tidewater; December 24th, 2018 at 07:34 AM.

Well, the Russians were bogged down in Afghanistan from 1979-1992 and finally just pulled out, too bad we didn't learn from their experience. If I had to venture a guess as to why we did not leave Vietnam or Afghanistan when it was obvious we were not going to attain a clear cut win, it would be for political reasons driven by money and greed from lobbyists and Congress.
    john rambo learned from their experience
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Not sure if we have learned anything from all of this, we sure as hell did not learn anything from our experience in Southeast Asia.
    We've learned that if given a reason, Americans will allow the government to funnel ridiculous sums of money to all sorts of things that don't benefit US citizens in any way.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    It Looks Like Trump Is About to Pull the U.S. Out of Afghanistan, Too

This is great news, imo. "Bring the boys back home."
    Awesome so glad our guys are coming back home.

I've never understood why we couldn't have negotiated with the Taliban over all these years we have been there. I'm glad we are leaving but still very concerned with the unintended consequences of this unilateral action, which considering the fool in charge, was surely not intelligently thought out.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

But Halliburton's stock holders and Dick Cheney send out a rousing "Thank you" this Christmas eve.

Turkey deploys troops near Kurdish stronghold in Syria Read more: https://www.upi.com

Dec. 23 (UPI) -- Turkey deployed hundreds of troops near a Kurdish stronghold in Syria Sunday, in the wake of the United States announcing plans to withdraw from the country.

The influx of Turkish military forces came after the U.S. President Donald Trump announced Wednesday that the U.S. military was preparing for a full withdrawal from Syria, pulling about about 2,000 service members from the country.

Turkey had since made multiple attempts to capture the region, but U.S. troops in the area provided an obstacle.

Read more: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-N...#ixzz5ac8qjzrM
    Doesn't look good for the Kurds

BamaNation Hall of Fame rolltide_21's Avatar

Reason: It Looks Like Trump Is About to Pull the U.S. Out of Afghanistan, Too

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    Doesn't look good for the Kurds
    The president tweeted yesterday that Turkeyís president told him he could finish the fight vs. ISIS. Yeah, like that is going to happen

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...825966081?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rolltide_21; December 24th, 2018 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Added Tweet