Ruth Bader Ginsburg undergoes lobectomy for lung cancer - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Re: Ruth Bader Ginsburg undergoes lobectomy for lung cancer

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    That's stupid and cruel and wrong.

(But lest we think that's "only" a right-wing thing, mine was littered with glee when Scalia actually did die - well that and a bunch of conspiracy theories about Scalia being whacked).
    I had someone on my feed make a snarky remark when Scalia died. This same person also said he was a little put off when people rejoiced when Bin Laden was killed.

I always thought it was special that Scalia and Ginsburg were close friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    I had someone on my feed make a snarky remark when Scalia died. This same person also said he was a little put off when people rejoiced when Bin Laden was killed.

I always thought it was special that Scalia and Ginsburg were close friends.

I think what's bad is that relationships have become so politicized that that surprises folks (and yes, it was cool).

On Election Day 1988, I walked around my college campus wearing my red jacket with blue Bush/Quayle 88 stickers and Elect Trent Lott stickers. My best friend was a black man who was walking around dressed much better than I with a black/white Dukakis leaflet easily readable above his pocket.

My advisor said that watching the two of us walk down the hall together calmly conversing and not raising voices was one of the best things he'd seen. (Keep in mind the school was still segregated when that advisor began).
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

And then I read this kind of uncompassionate tripe:

Justice Ginsburg is very ill. Another Justice appointment inevitable and soon. Bad news for the left.

That's from Bill O'Reilly.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation Second Team

Didn't she already have a lobotomy?

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar

I about halfway think Ginsburg and Scalia might have been more than just friends....Anyways if RBG does in fact dIE during Trumps tenure, I canít even begin I imagine the (pathetic) resistance the left will put up against her replacement.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    I about halfway think Ginsburg and Scalia might have been more than just friends....Anyways if RBG does in fact dIE during Trumps tenure, I can’t even begin I imagine the (pathetic) resistance the left will put up against her replacement.
    They will probably find out when he was 11 years old, he pulled the pigtails of a girl and pushed her down. They will note his history of abuse of women and we will have to endure months and months of trials and media stories. He will not be confirmed. The next guy we will discover he passed gas and pulled the covers over his wife's head when he was 20.

As far as Ginsburg goes, I wish her well. I do feel that a supreme court justice should not be a lifetime appointment. At some point you are just too old to do the job. I am old enough to remember when Thurgood Marshall retired. When asked why he was retiring, his reply was "I am old".
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Hall of Fame 2003TIDE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    I can’t even begin I imagine the (pathetic) resistance the left will put up against her replacement.
    Probably won't be as pathetic as McConnell not allowing Obama to fill the vacant seat during his last term.

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    As far as Ginsburg goes, I wish her well. I do feel that a supreme court justice should not be a lifetime appointment. At some point you are just too old to do the job. I am old enough to remember when Thurgood Marshall retired. When asked why he was retiring, his reply was "I am old".
    Maybe she would have retired long ago if she saw that Congress would do their jobs..
    Last edited by 2003TIDE; December 22nd, 2018 at 03:46 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

She strikes me as a pretty tough lady. I suspect she'll beat this and be with us a while yet.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar

Ruth Bader Ginsburg undergoes lobectomy for lung cancer

Quote Originally Posted by 2003TIDE View Post
    Probably won't be as pathetic as McConnell not allowing Obama to fill the vacant seat during his last term.

Maybe she would have retired long ago if she saw that Congress would do their jobs..
    Well you can thank the Joe Biden rule for that.

Well Iím surprised that she didnít retire and let Obama replace her seat but thatís on her. She may still be in the bench until she is 95.
    Last edited by BamaJama17; December 27th, 2018 at 09:50 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

They will probably find out when he was 11 years old, he pulled the pigtails of a girl and pushed her down. They will note his history of abuse of women and we will have to endure months and months of trials and media stories. He will not be confirmed. The next guy we will discover he passed gas and pulled the covers over his wife's head when he was 20.

As I have said many times before, every branch of government should have a minimum and maximum age. As for president, congress and the Supreme Court it should 35-72.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    As I have said many times before, every branch of government should have a minimum and maximum age. As for president, congress and the Supreme Court it should 35-72.
    Exactly. Sometimes you just have to accept you are too old to do the job. Now certain head football coaches should be allowed to coach as long as they want.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation All-SEC

Exactly. Sometimes you just have to accept you are too old to do the job. Now certain head football coaches should be allowed to coach as long as they want.
    I hope she does not feel too old to do the job until after Trump no longer has nomination powers.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by uafanataum View Post
    I hope she does not feel too old to do the job until after Trump no longer has nomination powers.
    I bet she was counting on a Clinton victory and now has to hang on and hope Trump loses in 2020.

Conservatives could get a death grip on the high court if Trump is re-elected. I was thinking about this yesterday and looked up the current court and their ages.

Clinton appointees
    Ginsberg 85
    Breyer 80

Bush41 appointee
    Thomas 70

Bush 43 appointees
    Alito 68
    Roberts 63

Obama appointees
    Sotomayor 64
    Kagan 58

Trump appointees
    Kavanaugh 53
    Gorsuch 51

Iím not one that usually thinks about the SCOTUS in an election, but it will be a big issue in 2020. I am sure Ginsberg and Breyer will hang on as long as they can, but there comes a point where you have to throw in the towel. Can you imagine a Supreme Court with four Trump judges on it? Or more if Thomas decides 30 years on the job is enough for him?