Is Taulia our future starter post Tua?

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Or do some or you have a surprise pick on who it maybe? Jones? Tyson?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Regardless, there are guys in place to sharpen each other into fine players. The position won't be handed over to anyone, so the winner will be the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Taulia is now a player, not a recruit. Seems like this would get more action on the FB board. At any rate, I have no idea. He seems to have all of the tools, but Tyson looks pretty impressive as well. And I really like what we saw from Mac Jones in the spring. It is a shame that Saban did not even try to develop him more this year.

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
Taulia is now a player, not a recruit. Seems like this would get more action on the FB board. At any rate, I have no idea. He seems to have all of the tools, but Tyson looks pretty impressive as well. And I really like what we saw from Mac Jones in the spring. It is a shame that Saban did not even try to develop him more this year.
Something tells me this was a special situation with Jalen, P/T was promised. I say this because I remember Gary Danielson saying at one of our games mid year that while he was at practice he noticed Jalen getting twice as many reps as any backup qb he has seen under Saban. I guarantee he told Jalen, keep your head in practice, continue to work and we will give you the game reps to showcase that development. Ripping Ga's heart out was an added bonus.
All just conjecture. Does seem this is a FB discussion though.

Last edited:

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I don’t follow. Should practice reps have been split into thirds? Jalen likely doesn’t lead us back in the SECCG without receiving the playing time he did.

Unless you’ve got inside info on closed practices or the QB room, I’m doubtful you should qualify that statement with the “did not even try...”

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I don’t follow. Should practice reps have been split into thirds? Jalen likely doesn’t lead us back in the SECCG without receiving the playing time he did.

Unless you’ve got inside info on closed practices or the QB room, I’m doubtful you should qualify that statement with the “did not even try...”
Agreed. I've seen BIG mention this before, but CNS knows more about his players and their plans than we do. He obviously felt like Jalen was going to stay and made the right call to let Jalen develop and improve under Enos.

If Jalen leaves, Mac will get his shot at QB2 next year, and wouldn't surprise me to see him be the starter in 2020 while Taulia and Tyson develop.

The other side of that is if Jalen doesn't leave, Mac may transfer. As far as this year though, I think CNS handled it 100% correctly.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Sorry, he didn't try. My proof - when Mac was in the game, he was handing the ball off and killing the clock. He should have been running the entire offense every chance that he got. You can ignore the obvious if you wish, but real development as a QB happens in games, not in practice.

If Jalen transfers and Tua gets hurt, Mac is your guy. Think Saban will wish he had let him run the entire offense then? (Answer - yes) If Mac also transfers because he is being ignored, you have to pray that Tua doesn't get hurt because he is your only guy. Neither Paul no Taulia is ready.

I understand that you have to play for now, and Saban is absolutely the best at that. But there are also possible consequences. We just have to pray that Tua doesn't get hurt.
I don’t disagree with any of this. But I don’t know how much development Mac gets from running the entire offense in the limited time he was on the field. He was the 3rd string QB, kinda how it goes.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think what he did with Jalen is why we are in the CFP as the #1 seed. Don't think we win against Georgia without "the new and and improved" Jalen.

As, for Mac Jones, he may just be the victim of bad timing. Kinda like the middle child between the winsome older brother (Tua) and the "baby" who everybody loves (Tyson, Taulia, Beck...)

The answer to this post will probably get worked out in the spring and next fall. The backups will get lots of reps because outside of maintenence reps, we know what we've got with Tua.

Cauthonluck151

Dec 2, 2017
Real development happens in practice NOT in the games. Just look at Tua last year. B1GTIDE, glad you edited that post.

Last edited:

Cauthonluck151

Dec 2, 2017
For most positions, this is true - not for QBs. QBs only develop when facing real defenses.
Lol just no... Especially for QB. Look at Jalen's development this year ... on the bench. Tua developed from being heavily dependent on the run at the end of HS to dominating the second half of the NCG because of the elite 11 camp, off season workouts, and going against our great defense in practice everyday. It happens in the off season and in practice.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Lol just no... Especially for QB. Look at Jalen's development this year ... on the bench. Tua developed from being heavily dependent on the run at the end of HS to dominating the second half of the NCG because of the elite 11 camp, off season workouts, and going against our great defense in practice everyday. It happens in the off season and in practice.
Agree to disagree. I could explain why I feel the way that I do, but it wouldn't matter. Have a great Christmas.

:cheers2:

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
Agree to disagree. I could explain why I feel the way that I do, but it wouldn't matter. Have a great Christmas.

:cheers2:
It is extremely hard/impossible to simulate the "live-fire" atmosphere of a game. In practice they know no matter how long they hold the ball, they will not be touched. You can not intimidate the QB in practice, therefore can't get in their head.
Flip side is practice reps get the QB comfortable with play calls and going through the progressions within the play, footwork, mechanics etc but there is no replacement for getting hit in the mouth, or the real threat of. I definitely both sides of that argument are correct so neither is wrong.
Another misconception, while they do have good on good periods, a lot of a typical game week is installing offense/ defensive plans, that is done against the scout team.
These guys are not fighting 1s vs 1s every day (in-season), would not be able to sustain. I have heard previous players say that they use that to break up the monotony of installing and it kind of helps morale.This is not directly to at you but one of posters of the opposing view.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Tua may or may not stay for his final year in 2020. In the mean time I expect Mac Jones to transfer, possibly before fall camp. My gut feel is that Taulia is no Tua, just an opinion before everyone goes ballistic. I am not sure about Tyson, although he has the measurables, does he fit the mold of Tua or Jalen that it appears CNS wants. From what I have seen of Tyson he appears to be more in the mold of AJ McCarron. Not sure if both Taulia and Tyson finish at Alabama.

Last edited:

Cauthonluck151

Dec 2, 2017
It is extremely hard/impossible to simulate the "live-fire" atmosphere of a game. In practice they know no matter how long they hold the ball, they will not be touched. You can not intimidate the QB in practice, therefore can't get in their head.
Flip side is practice reps get the QB comfortable with play calls and going through the progressions within the play, footwork, mechanics etc but there is no replacement for getting hit in the mouth, or the real threat of. I definitely both sides of that argument are correct so neither is wrong.
Another misconception, while they do have good on good periods, a lot of a typical game week is installing offense/ defensive plans, that is done against the scout team.
These guys are not fighting 1s vs 1s every day (in-season), would not be able to sustain. I have heard previous players say that they use that to break up the monotony of installing and it kind of helps morale.This is not directly to at you but one of posters of the opposing view.
Getting in the game will expose flaws, clear-up some nerves, and can show what really needs to be worked on... it will not develop you into a quarterback. Having a great QB coach and plan for development in the off-season and during early spring/fall practice is where a QB will by in large "develop". Jalen came into this year a much better passer starting with game 1 (see points above) and has improved from there. If the QB doesn't improve during that time, it isn't going to magically happen during those 1-2 series in a game. Your taking the smallest piece ... playing 1 or 2 series in a few games throughout the year during garbage time and acting like that will destroy any chance a back-up QB has at developing. And stating that is the same as "not-even trying". I'll sign off with that. Merry Christmas.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
To answer the OP, nobody knows. Not the players, not the coaches, and least of all we fans.

If I could predict the future to the point that I knew who Alabama's starting QB would be in September of 2020, Warren Buffet and Bill Gates would have me on their speed dial.

They don't have me on their speed dial.

Unless the profile of this board is significantly different from what I think it is, they don't have any other TF poster either.

September of 2020 is 22 months into the future. 27 months into the past, Jalen Hurts had not yet started a game.

27 months ago, could anybody have predicted that arc of precocious performance, consistent success called into question only by a lifetime performance from a QB that should have won the Heisman, followed by struggles and eventual downfall, followed by redemption on the self-same stage where the downfall became public?

It really is Shakespearian.

My money is on Jones in 2020.

He will be a fourth-year Junior, competing against a pair of redshirt freshmen. From the HS videos, I don't see either Taulia or Tyson being talented enough to overcome a gap of three years' experience.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.