Is Taulia our future starter post Tua?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is Taulia our future starter post Tua?

Or do some or you have a surprise pick on who it maybe? Jones? Tyson?

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

Re: Is Taulia our future starter post Tua?

You really like to start these threads early, don't you? JK -- who knows?
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar

Regardless, there are guys in place to sharpen each other into fine players. The position won't be handed over to anyone, so the winner will be the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Well, someone is.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Taulia is now a player, not a recruit. Seems like this would get more action on the FB board. At any rate, I have no idea. He seems to have all of the tools, but Tyson looks pretty impressive as well. And I really like what we saw from Mac Jones in the spring. It is a shame that Saban did not even try to develop him more this year.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Taulia is now a player, not a recruit. Seems like this would get more action on the FB board. At any rate, I have no idea. He seems to have all of the tools, but Tyson looks pretty impressive as well. And I really like what we saw from Mac Jones in the spring. It is a shame that Saban did not even try to develop him more this year.
    Something tells me this was a special situation with Jalen, P/T was promised. I say this because I remember Gary Danielson saying at one of our games mid year that while he was at practice he noticed Jalen getting twice as many reps as any backup qb he has seen under Saban. I guarantee he told Jalen, keep your head in practice, continue to work and we will give you the game reps to showcase that development. Ripping Ga's heart out was an added bonus.
    All just conjecture. Does seem this is a FB discussion though.
    Last edited by UAllday; December 22nd, 2018 at 07:19 AM.

I donít follow. Should practice reps have been split into thirds? Jalen likely doesnít lead us back in the SECCG without receiving the playing time he did.

Unless youíve got inside info on closed practices or the QB room, Iím doubtful you should qualify that statement with the ďdid not even try...Ē

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    I donít follow. Should practice reps have been split into thirds? Jalen likely doesnít lead us back in the SECCG without receiving the playing time he did.

Unless youíve got inside info on closed practices or the QB room, Iím doubtful you should qualify that statement with the ďdid not even try...Ē
    Agreed. I've seen BIG mention this before, but CNS knows more about his players and their plans than we do. He obviously felt like Jalen was going to stay and made the right call to let Jalen develop and improve under Enos.

If Jalen leaves, Mac will get his shot at QB2 next year, and wouldn't surprise me to see him be the starter in 2020 while Taulia and Tyson develop.

The other side of that is if Jalen doesn't leave, Mac may transfer. As far as this year though, I think CNS handled it 100% correctly.

Merry Christmas
    Last edited by B1GTide; December 22nd, 2018 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Holiday Season

Sorry, he didn't try. My proof - when Mac was in the game, he was handing the ball off and killing the clock. He should have been running the entire offense every chance that he got. You can ignore the obvious if you wish, but real development as a QB happens in games, not in practice.

If Jalen transfers and Tua gets hurt, Mac is your guy. Think Saban will wish he had let him run the entire offense then? (Answer - yes) If Mac also transfers because he is being ignored, you have to pray that Tua doesn't get hurt because he is your only guy. Neither Paul no Taulia is ready.

I understand that you have to play for now, and Saban is absolutely the best at that. But there are also possible consequences. We just have to pray that Tua doesn't get hurt.
    I don’t disagree with any of this. But I don’t know how much development Mac gets from running the entire offense in the limited time he was on the field. He was the 3rd string QB, kinda how it goes.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I think what he did with Jalen is why we are in the CFP as the #1 seed. Don't think we win against Georgia without "the new and and improved" Jalen.

As, for Mac Jones, he may just be the victim of bad timing. Kinda like the middle child between the winsome older brother (Tua) and the "baby" who everybody loves (Tyson, Taulia, Beck...)

The answer to this post will probably get worked out in the spring and next fall. The backups will get lots of reps because outside of maintenence reps, we know what we've got with Tua.

BamaNation Third Team

Real development happens in practice NOT in the games. Just look at Tua last year. B1GTIDE, glad you edited that post.
    Last edited by Cauthonluck151; December 22nd, 2018 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cauthonluck151 View Post
    Real development happens in practice NOT in the games.
    For most positions, this is true - not for QBs. QBs only develop when facing real defenses.