JessN: Oklahoma preview: Sooner or later, it all comes down to defense

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
A very good assessment and I've got nothing to counter your opinion unless it's the WR's...I'd call that group a draw. Our RB's have really help up considering our loss of Rodney Anderson. Here's an interesting stat: OU is 8th in the nation at 78.8% pocket integrity and 9th in average time to throw at 2.76 seconds. We run the ball more than we throw. This tells me that the key to this game is between the Tide Dline and the OU Oline. If we can run moderately well and keep KM clean we will be in it till the end. If not, the Tide wins by 2 TD's.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
A very good assessment and I've got nothing to counter your opinion unless it's the WR's...I'd call that group a draw. Our RB's have really help up considering our loss of Rodney Anderson. Here's an interesting stat: OU is 8th in the nation at 78.8% pocket integrity and 9th in average time to throw at 2.76 seconds. We run the ball more than we throw. This tells me that the key to this game is between the Tide Dline and the OU Oline. If we can run moderately well and keep KM clean we will be in it till the end. If not, the Tide wins by 2 TD's.
WRs aren't a draw because of depth. Your top 2 are great but after that we clearly have an advantage IMO.

Last edited:

bamakeeb

3rd Team
May 2, 2011
Even without Brown, I’m thinking this game comes down to whether our D can get more stops than theirs. I’m hoping Brown’s absence is a non factor.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
We have incredible depth at WR and our TE's and H-backs are great receivers as are our RB's. I would make one slight correction to my original comment...QB/even.
Not like we do. Seriously, this isn't an insult to OU's depth. We have the biletnikoff award winner and he might not even be our best WR. Your top 2 are as good as any but we have Jeudy, Ruggs, Waddle and Smith. There is a reason why you guys have a pretty sizable drop off in receiving yards after your top 2 and we don't.

And then we have our own RBs that can catch out of the backfield especially Jacobs and arguably the best receiving TE in the country.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
Both WR groups are outstanding. I'm not knowledgeable enough to parse the slight advantages one way or the other. I do know that we recruit WR's at a numerically higher rate per class to ensure fresh players. Normally, as many as 9-10 receivers catch passes in our games. Contrary to press coverage, Marquis Brown is not our best receiver. That title goes to CeeDee Lamb.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Both WR groups are outstanding. I'm not knowledgeable enough to parse the slight advantages one way or the other. I do know that we recruit WR's at a numerically higher rate per class to ensure fresh players. Normally, as many as 9-10 receivers catch passes in our games. Contrary to press coverage, Marquis Brown is not our best receiver. That title goes to CeeDee Lamb.
The stats are remarkable. -

Receptions: Bama - 254, OU - 255;
Yards: Bama - 4231, OU - 4212
YAC: Bama 16.7, OU - 16.5

OTOH, I've never questioned the closeness of the teams offensively. I do think there's a bit of a gap defensively, and I've not seen it rationally explained away...

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
Thanks for the analysis. I'll take a 9 point win but I hope it is more. I thought the OU D ran a fumble back for a TD against W Va ( but it may have been call a int) but their D leaves a lot of receivers wide open. I just hope Tua can be effective and end the game ready for the next one.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Just call me Homer...
I see us winning 42-21.

Murray will need to be on top of his game... to get a W.
IMO: If our Defensive guys go after him, he may be mortal.

Can the Okies contain either or both of our Quarterbacks?
Okies will have to play hands down better than they have all year.

One of our advantages is Williams. He should be able to crash the middle of the Okie line pretty often. Williams will make Murray throw on the run.

Then there is the battle of Running Backs. Okie has a couple of good backs, and Murray can run... (So do we)
I hope the Okies plan on Tua not being able to run, and Jalen not being able to pass. I guess we will see if they are correct.

Lastly: There is the Coaching factor.
IMO: If you give Coach Saban enough time, he will find a way to beat you.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
The stats are remarkable. -

Receptions: Bama - 254, OU - 255;
Yards: Bama - 4231, OU - 4212
YAC: Bama 16.7, OU - 16.5

OTOH, I've never questioned the closeness of the teams offensively. I do think there's a bit of a gap defensively, and I've not seen it rationally explained away...
One thing to keep in mind is that while Tua and the Bama offense was killing clock in the 4th quarter Kyler and company were still have to score due to the defense being so porous. Add the quarters that Tua did not even take a snap and it’s TWO full games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
MB caught more passes, for more yards; td’s were the same. APC favored CDL by less than a yard, and he had the longest single catch.
So stats are close but hard to say CDL is “ better”; they seem to be both studs that OU needs at 100%. Production behind them drops off drastically.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.