JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Oklahoma preview: Sooner or later, it all comes down to defense
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
December 24th, 2018 04:01 AM

Whether it's fair to either player or not, Alabama's playoff semifinal against Oklahoma is going to serve a second purpose: It will be a referendum on whether Heisman Trophy voters got it right when they picked Oklahoma's Kyler Murray over Alabama's Tua Tagovailoa.

Murray's legend seemed to grow in the second half of the season, fueled by strong performances against several teams completely bereft of defenses. Murray has faced Alabama once before – as a freshman at Texas A&M, and his last play in that game consisted of watching Eddie Jackson running at him while carrying the football Murray had just thrown.[…]

Read More Here | Projected Depth Chart

Last edited by a moderator:

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Thanks, Jess. That score looks about right. This game is probably going to be a bit more exciting score-wise than folks think. Wishing for us to deliver a drubbing but don't think it'll happen. I'll take a 9 point win and be happy about it.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I agree with FitTobeTide, although it could be even closer, just hope it does not come down to a FG or PAT. We shall see, Merry Christmas and thanks for all you do, Jess.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
If Dylan and Mack can play a smart game and not try to make highlight tapes, this isn’t close. Bama 70. OU 35
I like it CajunCrimson.

I just hope we can get those couple of extra stops like Jess mentioned so things can be comfortable on December 29.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Thanks, Jess. Great job as always. I have been looking forward to your write-up. I will take a 9-point win and be happy about it. However, I am hoping for a domination... If we are focused and Dylan and Mack don't get caught up in traffic, Savion plays aggressive and sets the edge consistently, and our OL protects Tua (who needs to be healthy), we should get that dominating win (not that winning by over a TD in the playoff game is anything to sneeze at... :)) Roll Tide!

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
The score is closer to what I think will happen. I'd love a domination as much as the next Alabama fan, but early on, OU's offense will give us problems. Maybe the in-game adjustments will happen sooner and that'll determine the game for Alabama. It is a tremendously good thing that Alabama has an offense that can go score-for-score with Oklahoma.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Jess, I think you're giving their OL too much credit. they are a good group no doubt, but their stats are overly inflated due to playing a conference where defense is an afterthought! with Buggs healthy and Ray showing up , the DL along with Jennings/ Miller will have Murray running for his life. hopefully Mack/ Moses play assignment football to contain or limit his runs.
their running backs are good and I realize based on stats again, you give them the nod, but our RBs are 2nd to none. this game could see a heavy dosage of ground and pound to render the OU offense impotent.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Jess, I think you're giving their OL too much credit. they are a good group no doubt, but their stats are overly inflated due to playing a conference where defense is an afterthought!.
I hope you’re right. I have seen very little of OU this season. When I have, what struck me was not so much their OL; but Murray’s quick release. His release seemed to negate the pass rush somewhat. He was really zipping his throws. Again, I’ve seen very little of the Sooners this season - so JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
No way Oklahoma's RB's are better than Bama's. Not playing in that league. Would take the Tide's backs over the Sooner's 8 days a week.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
"Murray has faced Alabama once before – as a freshman at Texas A&M, and his last play in that game consisted of watching Eddie Jackson running at him while carrying the football Murray had just thrown."

It's writing like this - in addition, of course, to the incisive analysis, that has us eagerly awaiting Jess' previews...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.