Three Clemson Players Fail Drug Tests

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Looks like Dabo’s full of it regarding his players “slither of Ostarine” that anyone could have in their system.

Per the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, “Ostarine is the trademarked name for a Selective Androgen Receptor Modulator (SARM) that is not approved for human use or consumption in the U.S., or in any other country.” Follow this link for more:

https://www.usada.org/substance-profile-ostarine/

The article goes on to say that the substance is not approved for human consumption by the FDA and isn’t used in any legal foods or supplements. There is also a linked list of supplements that illegally contain the substance listed, so there’s no excuse for this to show up in a drug test of an NCAA athlete.
Traces of ostarine have shown up in perfectly legal and approved supplements. An Olympian had her positive test come from a salt tablet that was made in a factory that also makes ostarine supplements...
Also ostarine is legal (just bamned by ncaa and sports orgs) and readily available otc. It isnt apprived by the FDA but neither are most vitamin supplemets.

I actually do think there's a good chance this want intentional and probably came from a cross contaminated supplement.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Traces of ostarine have shown up in perfectly legal and approved supplements. An Olympian had her positive test come from a salt tablet that was made in a factory that also makes ostarine supplements...
Also ostarine is legal (just bamned by ncaa and sports orgs) and readily available otc. It isnt apprived by the FDA but neither are most vitamin supplemets.

I actually do think there's a good chance this want intentional and probably came from a cross contaminated supplement.
Which is an excellent object lesson for athletes taking supplements leading up to the CFP, where testing is mandatory and universal. If you're saying this somehow absolves them from responsibility, I disagree. "Accidental" is not good enough, with these stakes...

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Pretty simple on why go public.. 1) It was going to get out, and frankly xmas eve is as good a time as any to minimize it from a pr standpoint whether the guys are "guilty" of taking it on purpose or not. 2) Yea.. dabo is putting the only pressure on the process he can. Considering he has sent starters home from big games before (and not "backed them" or fight it as he is here) tells me (he thinks) the guys didn't knowingly take it and nothing nefarious other than it got in their system some other way (imo if they didn't knowingly take it, they did take some supplements or vitamins manufactured somewhere a "trace amount" contaminated what they did take.)

I would say that sucks for the kids, but unless the b sample comes back negative they obviously shouldn't play.
To be clear, when Dabo sent players home before they had failed drug tests for the 2nd or 3rd time, this by school rules were going home anyway. He played it well to media like he was taking some high road moral stance, but in reality he had no say in the matter.

Akazo

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 22, 2010
Ostarine is a legal powder to purchase - but it is not legal in supplements. I don't see any reasonable explanation as to how it could be cross contamination.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Which is an excellent object lesson for athletes taking supplements leading up to the CFP, where testing is mandatory and universal. If you're saying this somehow absolves them from responsibility, I disagree. "Accidental" is not good enough, with these stakes...
Yep, Neither the NCAA nor the NFL cares how you ingested it. It is up to the player to know what they are taking into their bodies.

TigerTown

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
To be clear, when Dabo sent players home before they had failed drug tests for the 2nd or 3rd time, this by school rules were going home anyway. He played it well to media like he was taking some high road moral stance, but in reality he had no say in the matter.
So was it the 2nd or 3rd? Which one means he had no choice? May not want to guess here when you are so sure. Caine was suspended for breaking team rules, not a ped.

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012

Should have looked a the date on the article— it was from August 2017. I suppose cross-contamination is possible but I don’t see how the players can prove it prior to the CFP. Any other scenario would involve either intent or negligence on the part of the players, and with this much on the line either should be a disqualifying factor.

TigerTown

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
There is a list of supplements that have been tested and certified to be free of illicit substances. This list is made available to athletes. There is simply no excuse. None.
There is, and by all counts these guys took nothing off the list/different than what they had been all year/career. The supplement and vitamin world is not regulated where products are tested, so cross contamination is a possibility. Again, maybe they were truly doping and just now got caught.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
There is, and by all counts these guys took nothing off the list/different than what they had been all year/career. The supplement and vitamin world is not regulated where products are tested, so cross contamination is a possibility. Again, maybe they were truly doping and just now got caught.
I would rather believe this is an isolated incident, the B sample will prove them clear. I try not to turn these young players into hero's, but I also like to believe them to be a classy group of guys trying to make it the right way.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I would rather believe this is an isolated incident, the B sample will prove them clear. I try not to turn these young players into hero's, but I also like to believe them to be a classy group of guys trying to make it the right way.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I guess you have inside knowledge. I know nothing about them other than the failed tests...

TigerTown

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
Point, I think, he is making is it is an odd circumstance. Any amount of this drug in someone's system is wrong... and until proven otherwise they are guilty (none taking reps and can't play in game).

That said a 350 lb dude, who has been that size since he was 14 and has taken dozens or even hundreds of drug tests gets hit with a trace of an obscure ped before the playoffs... sure, maybe the 3 just failed to hide it and were trying to get away with it, and at this point they are suspended as that is how it should be. But not a stretch that some may think a mistake may have been made somewhere.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Pretty simple on why go public.. 1) It was going to get out,
Only if the B sample is positive, which hasn't happened (yet).

I'm sorry, I think Dabo was right to tell Kelly Bryant he was not going to start, but I can't see anything good coming from this.

If the B sample is now negative, there's going to be chatter of, "Yeah, the NCAA rigged the testing so Clemson blah blah blah."

If it's positive, we would have found out anyway.

But if it does turn out to be negative then....
- you have a mark by some names now that no amount of "not guilty of it" will ever wash away
- you have created anxiety and distraction where none was needed

and frankly xmas eve is as good a time as any to minimize it from a pr standpoint whether the guys are "guilty" of taking it on purpose or not.
A world class political strategy move no doubt.

2) Yea.. dabo is putting the only pressure on the process he can. Considering he has sent starters home from big games before (and not "backed them" or fight it as he is here) tells me (he thinks) the guys didn't knowingly take it and nothing nefarious other than it got in their system some other way (imo if they didn't knowingly take it, they did take some supplements or vitamins manufactured somewhere a "trace amount" contaminated what they did take.)
But the only reason he had to defend the players here is because he let it out. (This is where I get lost).

And then I remember Dabo doesn't even know the rules for onside kicks.

I would say that sucks for the kids, but unless the b sample comes back negative they obviously shouldn't play.
Fair enough, and I concur and say the same thing regarding Tide kids.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Why do you think you all announced your suspensions on xmas eve? same reason. Hell, I'd say they may have been waiting for xmas day but when Clemson had our .... go down you all said "damn, do it now!".. and good move if so.

The good coaches don't give a .... about chatter.
I'm not a mod, but I will advise you that all those expletives aren't going to be tolerated here.

Announcing a suspension for an A sample positive is just beyond dumb. I said the Christmas Eve announcement was correct.

Xmas eve was the first day anyone would see DL not repping w the 1s and word gets out. Yes dabo is backing his players, you obviously have a real issue with this, and more power to you. If it turns out these guys have been doping for years he'll eat crow for sure.
The issue I have as SOMEONE WHO WORKS IN A LAB is that the P.R. from this is absolutely beyond stupid. "A" samples have been positive before. Say it's "an internal issue." But here's the catch: if what you're saying is true and St. Dabo, the Apostle of Holiness and Bag Men is right, then why is he telling us it's "a sliver" in light of the fact I seriously doubt he was told, "They're sort of pregnant" only on drug testing? How would he know this? (This is where the transparency claim falls apart).

That said he has kicked guys to the curb for less... may turn out dabo is hiding something, may not. I like he sometimes sends kids home but will also stand by some when he believes in them.

Time will tell.
All true.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Ok big guy, sorry you don't like the "language", my bad there and hope you find a safe space.

You don't like how Swinney handled it... good for you. Again, may turn out as something big he is hiding (as you suspect), but history says dabo has made the right call in most situations. You keep hoping he is wrong here.
Did you read the board rules before agreeing with them? Agreement with them is required to post here so I hope you read them and did not just click.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.