Three Clemson Players Fail Drug Tests

T Bone

1st Team
Ok big guy, sorry you don't like the "language", my bad there and hope you find a safe space
You don't like how Swinney handled it... good for you. Again, may turn out as something big he is hiding (as you suspect), but history says dabo has made the right call in most situations. You keep hoping he is wrong here.
sorry bud we ARE in a safe space.........it is called OUR FORUM, you are a guest and should act as thought you were in someone elses home............of course if this how you would act in anothers home, you will be tossed out on ur butt, ur call.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
There is, and by all counts these guys took nothing off the list/different than what they had been all year/career. The supplement and vitamin world is not regulated where products are tested, so cross contamination is a possibility. Again, maybe they were truly doping and just now got caught.
If your guys are taking OTC supplements that haven't been tested and certified free of doping substances then both the athletes and the university' compliance departments have not done their jobs. If the university is not impressed with testing done by someone else they can pay for it themselves.

Again, no excuse for this to ever happen today with what is known about the supplement industry. "I didn't know" doesn't cut it.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
If your guys are taking OTC supplements that haven't been tested and certified free of doping substances then both the athletes and the university' compliance departments have not done their jobs. If the university is not impressed with testing done by someone else they can pay for it themselves.

Again, no excuse for this to ever happen today with what is known about the supplement industry. "I didn't know" doesn't cut it.
This has been a problem in the supplement industry before. While I was in Afghanistan almost all of our guys were on supplements. We also were randomly drug tested all the time. There were alot of guys out there that tried to find supplements that claimed to he legal steroids because they wanted to have the best performance. Myself, I just used weight gainer (multiple types of protein along with complex carbs and sugars in one shake) along with creatine because my body type has a hard time gaining weight. I wad too scared to fail a drug test. I think the market is too unregulated to take chances with unknown supplements. Maybe schools should have a checklist of safe supplements? They already provide good nutrition guidelines and free meals to athletes.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
This has been a problem in the supplement industry before. While I was in Afghanistan almost all of our guys were on supplements. We also were randomly drug tested all the time. There were alot of guys out there that tried to find supplements that claimed to he legal steroids because they wanted to have the best performance. Myself, I just used weight gainer (multiple types of protein along with complex carbs and sugars in one shake) along with creatine because my body type has a hard time gaining weight. I wad too scared to fail a drug test. I think the market is too unregulated to take chances with unknown supplements. Maybe schools should have a checklist of safe supplements? They already provide good nutrition guidelines and free meals to athletes.
They do but they aren't allowed to provide many of these supplements. So, players typically use a portion of their aid to purchase these supplements on their own, if desired. If a player finds a good deal on a supplement that's "exactly the same, just a little different" as one on the OK list, he might risk it to save a little money.

It's entirely possible these three players found the same "good deal" on one of these supplements - especially if they came out of some guy's trunk - and that's the source of the banned substance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TigerTown

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
Did you read the board rules before agreeing with them? Agreement with them is required to post here so I hope you read them and did not just click.

I agree with you... and not making an excuse to say they should play. Heck, my point is someone absolutely screwed up... I just said Inhighly doubt these 3 guys all decided to just start taking (a very small amount) of a banned substance they previously had not tested positive for.

Either the players, nutrition staff, and/or the manufacturer screwed up. None of which justifies someone should play anyway, but I just said I highly doubt the players knowingly took trace amounts of this ped knowingly.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
They do but they aren't allowed to provide many of these supplements. So, players typically use a portion of their aid to purchase these supplements on their own, if desired. If a player finds a good deal on a supplement that's "exactly the same, just a little different" as one on the OK list, he might risk it to save a little money.

It's entirely possible these three players found the same "good deal" on one of these supplements - especially if they came out of some guy's trunk - and that's the source of the banned substance.

Yea, I'm calling more for a change in rules than for players to continue to try to stay within the rules and maybe accidentally break them. There is just too much at stake. A five star player riding the bench for a year for an accident is unacceptable. OTOH if schools start providing their supplements and they go out and buy an extra one anyway then they deserve what they get.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I did... and your true concern is noted and quite admirable. Are you a mod?
Your post has been addressed by an administrator. I suggest you knock it off now if you want to retain posting privileges.

One more post of this nature or like your previous posts or anything else breaking the rules will do it.

This is your final warning to knock it off.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I guess you have inside knowledge. I know nothing about them other than the failed tests...
Huh? No. No insider info. Am I mistaken that the 2 samples they take (one already tested resulting in the hot results) and then the second sample (taken at time of previous sample) is then tested and the results released. Possibly resulting in them being cleared and able to play. It is that COMPLETELY wrong?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TigerTown

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017

Sent from my SM-G930V using

With how these guys are monitored, tested, and spoon fed do you really think they are buying these things from a proverbial car trunk? Have you seen how their intake is monitored now at programs like Clemson (or bama, or anywhere in top 20 or 30 really).

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yea, I'm calling more for a change in rules than for players to continue to try to stay within the rules and maybe accidentally break them. There is just too much at stake. A five star player riding the bench for a year for an accident is unacceptable. OTOH if schools start providing their supplements and they go out and buy an extra one anyway then they deserve what they get.
Players at schools like Alabama and Clemson do not need anything that they might buy at a GNC. Everything that they could possibly need is provided. Everything.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012

Sent from my SM-G930V using

With how these guys are monitored, tested, and spoon fed do you really think they are buying these things from a proverbial car trunk? Have you seen how their intake is monitored now at programs like Clemson (or bama, or anywhere in top 20 or 30 really).
I hope this serves as a message and lesson to all these guys at every big school. Every school out there adopted sports shrinks and dedicated nutritionist after the 2012 Bama season when endless articles about "what makes Bama different" came out and those two things were addressed specifically.

If I were a player with so very much on the line, I wouldn't eat a bag of Skittles that I didn't buy myself from the vending machine or was given by the cafeteria. At this level, it's literally million dollar choices.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Players at schools like Alabama and Clemson do not need anything that they might buy at a GNC. Everything that they could possibly need is provided. Everything.
Maybe, maybe not. I have a few friends currently on a couple FCS staffs, one directly involved with strength and conditioning, and you might be surprised what the schools are prohibited from providing.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Maybe, maybe not. I have a few friends currently on a couple FCS staffs, one directly involved with strength and conditioning, and you might be surprised what the schools are prohibited from providing.

This is a slightly out-of-date list but here are some substances student athletes are allowed to take but that universities are prohibited from providing:

Amino Acids
Chondroitin
Chrysin
Creatine
Creatine Containing Products
Garcinia Cambogia or Hydroxycitrate
Gingko Biloba
Ginseng
Glucosamine
Glutathione
Glycerol
Green tea
Melatonin
Protein Powders
St. John‟s Wort
Weight Gainers
Yohimbe
CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid)
HMB (hydroxymethlybutyrate)
MSM (methylsulfonyl methane

Virtually every FBS/FCS football player takes some form of creatine during the summer, if not year-round.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I said things that they need, as in things that their bodies require, meeting the developmental needs of their bodies. 100% provided. Everything. Your list does not include a single thing that one of these players needs given what they are provided. They might want to take short cuts, but that is on them. No sympathy.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I said things that they need, as in things that their bodies require, meeting the developmental needs of their bodies. 100% provided. Everything. Your list does not include a single thing that one of these players needs given what they are provided. They might want to take short cuts, but that is on them. No sympathy.
Fair enough. However, every program has a list of these supplements that are allowed, including specific brands that are known to be safe and where to buy them, that they distribute to the players.

I can't speak specifically to the current goings-on at Clemson, Alabama, or Ohio State but I'd be shocked if virtually every player at all three schools wasn't encouraged by the coaching staff to take some form of creatine this past summer.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
... I just said Inhighly doubt these 3 guys all decided to just start taking (a very small amount) of a banned substance they previously had not tested positive for.

...but I just said I highly doubt the players knowingly took trace amounts of this ped knowingly.
The “sliver of a trace” that Dabo referred to in no way indicates they only took a trace of a banned substance. That’s what was detected in their system.
I’m not saying these guys are roided to the roof, but use some common sense

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Fair enough. However, every program has a list of these supplements that are allowed, including specific brands that are known to be safe and where to buy them, that they distribute to the players.

I can't speak specifically to the current goings-on at Clemson, Alabama, or Ohio State but I'd be shocked if virtually every player at all three schools wasn't encouraged by the coaching staff to take some form of creatine this past summer.

If they eat the food offered at these schools, they get more than enough creatine naturally in the proteins that they consume. Creatine supplements work, but they are entirely unnecessary if you eat the right foods, and every football player at Alabama gets enough creatine in their diet without taking supplements.

Science is a wonderful thing. Creatine supplements are a shortcut to eating a proper diet. No sympathy from me for athletes who would rather eat junk and take supplements.

And, there is no "safe" supplement as the industry is entirely unregulated. You have no idea what you are getting. Even if you take the same thing for years, one off "batch" could kill you (or cause you to fail a drug test).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.