Game Thread: OFFICIAL PREGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Sooners...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Interesting insightful post from an OU board:

I don’t see anyway OU wins unless the defense gets a bunch of stops.
When Bama played Auburn, Auburn got 5 stops out of 13 drives and still gave up 52.
Assuming 13 drives, the OU defense is going to need at least 7 of 13 stops, and even with OUs defense doing that, Bama could still score 42.
I just don’t see anyway for OUs defense to stop them enough. They just aren’t capable.
I sure hope I am dead wrong. But I’m going to look at the game like this. The longer OU can stick around and stay within 1 possession, that’s all I’m looking for. Just a chance at the end would be a win for me. If Riley and K1 have a chance at the end, you’ve got to take those odds, because they just might be able to do it.

Supervir2

Dec 11, 2018
I think OU and Bama fans generally see this game the same. Bama is the better team because their defense is significantly better. If we were to bet our life on the game, we'd bet Bama and feel pretty safe about it. However, as OU fans, of course we're going to see things favorably for our team where we can. Do I have confidence our offense can put some points up? Yes - probably in the 30's - 40-45 if we get turnovers or are really on point. Do I think our defense can hold you all to less than 45? I think they *can*, but it is a big ask and not something I'd bank on. I've seen enough good offenses come out rusty in bowl games or get slowed by teams that you wouldn't expect to go into this game with some hope.

Similarly, with those vids of your players above - you all probably look at those and echo their sentiments. They might be spot on and come out and justify their reactions completely. As a sooner fan, I think maybe..just maybe..they're taking us lightly (not overtly, but subconsciously) and we'll see a tighter game than predicted on the field.

At any rate, here is to a well-officiated game where everyone comes out of it healthy!

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
We need CFB article on Alabama and Oklahoma and the prediction of who will win. Suprised we haven't seen a thread for this.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Is it just me or does this Alabama team have a little bit more idk swagger/confidence or arrogance than previous teams? I kinda go back and forth on how I feel about it and maybe I'm wrong but this team seems a little different to me.
They saw something on film.... last time they were feeling good... LSU game. Remember?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

spidermayin

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2018
I think OU and Bama fans generally see this game the same. Bama is the better team because their defense is significantly better. If we were to bet our life on the game, we'd bet Bama and feel pretty safe about it. However, as OU fans, of course we're going to see things favorably for our team where we can. Do I have confidence our offense can put some points up? Yes - probably in the 30's - 40-45 if we get turnovers or are really on point. Do I think our defense can hold you all to less than 45? I think they *can*, but it is a big ask and not something I'd bank on. I've seen enough good offenses come out rusty in bowl games or get slowed by teams that you wouldn't expect to go into this game with some hope.

Similarly, with those vids of your players above - you all probably look at those and echo their sentiments. They might be spot on and come out and justify their reactions completely. As a sooner fan, I think maybe..just maybe..they're taking us lightly (not overtly, but subconsciously) and we'll see a tighter game than predicted on the field.

At any rate, here is to a well-officiated game where everyone comes out of it healthy!
Hey man I agree with you 100%. If I was an Oklahoma fan I would have my hopes that the offense would get their usual points and hope that the defense caused some turnovers. You have to hope Alabama comes out rusty, otherwise it could get ugly.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Hey man I agree with you 100%. If I was an Oklahoma fan I would have my hopes that the offense would get their usual points and hope that the defense caused some turnovers. You have to hope Alabama comes out rusty, otherwise it could get ugly.
One of my concerns. We showed a tendency to come out flat in the first half, the last few games. That could be unfortunate against a team like OU. Of course, in SECCG, Tua could barely stand on his left leg, from the first series on and it showed. He should have come out earlier...

I thought the same thing, then he hit Waddle for a TD. Still, I believe you are right.
One of my concerns. We showed a tendency to come out flat in the first half, the last few games. That could be unfortunate against a team like OU. Of course, in SECCG, Tua could barely stand on his left leg, from the first series on and it showed. He should have come out earlier...

Just surprising with those drops either way. Even Irv fumbled the ball when he caught it one time. That was a strange game for our receivers, all but Waddle just wasn't having that kind of day. It kinda shows you how strong of a group we have with the WRs.

I heard someone talk about how Tua uses his lower body with his throws. It really messes with him with something is off. The line has to block. Definitely don't want one of those Striker moments in this game. From what I remember, we couldn't block him even when he was standing still.
Yes, despite the TD, his accuracy was just a bit off. Also, the WRs weren't getting the ball where they expected it, which, partially at least, led to the drops...

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
i cannot wait for people to stop implying that tua hasn't been as good lately.

the week before the georgia game, he re wrote the iron bowl record books. he had 400 yards and 6 TD's against a defense a lot better than oklahoma's. he was hurt. period. end of discussion. no one on this planet can throw the ball accurately with an ankle sprain. if the coaches knew thats what happened in the 1st Q im sure that they would have sat him. he was being a great leader and teammate and it almost cost bama the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.