Game Thread: TEXAS BOWL: Baylor vs. Vandy (12/27 8:00p CT | ESPN)

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
45-38 with one minute to go. Vandy with not much of a chance now.
And they had chances. Four of the Baylor TDs were due to a 6 yard pass over the middle that two defenders would fail to tackle.

I can honestly say one of the poorest tackling skill showings by an SEC team in quite some time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Vandy's talent delta really shows up when you can spread em out. They don't have enough athletic ability to operate in space very well.

I don't know how they beat Ole Miss given that fa-...wait Ole Miss got jobbed so Vandy could be bowl eligible since Ole Miss was ineligible no matter what.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Vandy let this one get away.
It's a game they should have won.

This year Vandy played pretty good ball, but now they end the season playing like Vandy. :(

Last edited:

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
In 8 games vs SEC opponents this year Vandy's highest yardage given up was 578 and most points allowed was 41. Vs Baylor they gave up 668 total yards and 45 points. In the Big 12 Baylor's average yardage given up was 422 and their average points allowed was 24. The point here, in my mind is these are different leagues with different philosophies. Nothing counting OU there are 3 teams in the Big 12 with far more dynamic O's than Baylor ..WVU, OSU, & TT. The final score of the Baylor vs OU game was 66-33. My point is not to defend or criticize either conference but to show how playing D in the Big 12 is not the same as playing D in the SEC. This is why the Orange Bowl will be so intriguing. Someone said it earlier in this thread. When you get spread out and you are playing against fast, talented skill players and a QB who can chunk it and has wheels, it's very hard to defend.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
In 8 games vs SEC opponents this year Vandy's highest yardage given up was 578 and most points allowed was 41. Vs Baylor they gave up 668 total yards and 45 points. In the Big 12 Baylor's average yardage given up was 422 and their average points allowed was 24. The point here, in my mind is these are different leagues with different philosophies. Nothing counting OU there are 3 teams in the Big 12 with far more dynamic O's than Baylor ..WVU, OSU, & TT. The final score of the Baylor vs OU game was 66-33. My point is not to defend or criticize either conference but to show how playing D in the Big 12 is not the same as playing D in the SEC. This is why the Orange Bowl will be so intriguing. Someone said it earlier in this thread. When you get spread out and you are playing against fast, talented skill players and a QB who can chunk it and has wheels, it's very hard to defend.
You do realize this was Vandy, right? This is a team who has more 2* players than 4* players and has a much better D than OU.

This is an overachieving bunch who really belong more in CUSA than anywhere and yet they went toe to toe with ND and now Baylor.

Please don’t use this game as some sort of barometer for anything else

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
U do realize the stats I quoted are comprehensive; i.e.; vs each team's entire schedule? From your opinion apparently those 2 star players can compete in the SEC. Baylor has similar recruiting stats and they are coming out of an horrendous situation that killed their recruiting. Here's a point to ponder...although he was injured and didn't play, Hurd, former Tenn. RB, was the Big 12 newcomer of the year ( @ WIDE RECEIVER). This is a microcosm of the difference in the leagues. He was misused by the Vols. Baylor punched his ticket to the NFL. Now, this is not an indictment of the SEC nor kudos to the Big 12. I'm simply trying to point out the differences in the philosophy in the 2 leagues. Baylor's 2/3 stars beat Vandy's 2/3 stars because they scheme on O in a way that even the best D has trouble with. When you play D in the Big 12 you see this kind of O week in and week out. That's why you have to recruit to defending such O's.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
In 8 games vs SEC opponents this year Vandy's highest yardage given up was 578 and most points allowed was 41. Vs Baylor they gave up 668 total yards and 45 points.
Pinning your hopes on the Vandy performance? Maybe you should try a wishing well next.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
From earlier in the thread: In case anyone was wondering, this is the #6 Big 12 team versus the #11 SEC team.

I just knew when I opened TF this morning that there would be OU people touting the Baylor win over Vandy like it means something..

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
I am not touting the Baylor win nor am I channeling it as a reference point on the OB. This forum is all about denigrating the Big 12 and how defense is played in the conference. I'm simply pointing out that defending against Big 12 O's is not easy.Vandy only lost to ND 21-17. They only lost to KY. 14-7. Only Ga. boat raced them. Look, I'm not a Baylor fan. They operate their athletic dept. and the entire school cloaked in hypocrisy. For 60 minutes last night they showed why it's hard to defend a Big 12 O. Nothing more, nothing less.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I lost interest in the pre-game hoopla a week ago and this is why.

I was mildly intrigued with the game last night because it was Big 12 vs. SEC, but I turned it off in the 3rd quarter. Frankly, I'm shocked Vanderbilt made a game of it. The talent difference was massive.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I am not touting the Baylor win nor am I channeling it as a reference point on the OB. This forum is all about denigrating the Big 12 and how defense is played in the conference. I'm simply pointing out that defending against Big 12 O's is not easy.Vandy only lost to ND 21-17. They only lost to KY. 14-7. Only Ga. boat raced them. Look, I'm not a Baylor fan. They operate their athletic dept. and the entire school cloaked in hypocrisy. For 60 minutes last night they showed why it's hard to defend a Big 12 O. Nothing more, nothing less.
I don't think anyone has said that it's easy to defend offenses in the BIG12. The BIG12 is looked down upon because all the teams in the league are only half teams. The offenses are good but there is not effort on the defensive side of the ball. I think all of us respect OU because you guys have played against and beaten elite programs consistently. That's just not true for the rest of the BIG12 so we respect OU but not the conference and Baylor edging out Vandy when the game was tied late in the 4th quarter really has no bearing on anything. If Vandy had won the game we would not be trumpeting it like it meant something..

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
I guess we are commenting on it because someone started a game thread and those who commented thought that a game thread was intended to illicit discussion. I am so sorry that comments by OU fans are such an irritant to many herein. One way or the other it will be over tomorrow. I just hope it's a great game. I'm glad my Sooners are in it and will get to test themselves against the defending national champs. My posts these past few weeks have been in the same vein that they were back in 2002-2003 when I first joined this board. Somehow things have changed since then. I'm sorry for that but my respect for Alabama football has not changed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.