Game Thread: TEXAS BOWL: Baylor vs. Vandy (12/27 8:00p CT | ESPN)

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
There are only 2 SEC teams that allowed Vandy to score 38 or more pounts. (5-7) Tennessee allowed 38 points which is the same number that Vandy scored against Baylor. (2-10) Arkansas allowed 45 which is just one more TD than Baylor allowed. So Baylor allowed a bottom tier SEC team to score as many points as they could against a dumpster fire.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
U do realize the stats I quoted are comprehensive; i.e.; vs each team's entire schedule? From your opinion apparently those 2 star players can compete in the SEC. Baylor has similar recruiting stats and they are coming out of an horrendous situation that killed their recruiting. Here's a point to ponder...although he was injured and didn't play, Hurd, former Tenn. RB, was the Big 12 newcomer of the year ( @ WIDE RECEIVER). This is a microcosm of the difference in the leagues. He was misused by the Vols. Baylor punched his ticket to the NFL. Now, this is not an indictment of the SEC nor kudos to the Big 12. I'm simply trying to point out the differences in the philosophy in the 2 leagues. Baylor's 2/3 stars beat Vandy's 2/3 stars because they scheme on O in a way that even the best D has trouble with. When you play D in the Big 12 you see this kind of O week in and week out. That's why you have to recruit to defending such O's.
Actually Baylor has a MUCH better recruiting history as of late. In fact they've had 3 consecutive Top 5 Big12 Classes. Vandy has finished 14th, 14th, 12th the last three years in the SEC. Baylor has 6 - 4* alone last year. Vandy has 3 on their roster - total. Not quite the same recruiting levels.

Baylor in 2018 - 12 spots higher than Vandy in recruiting team rankings (and in points - Baylor - 215 to 202 for Vandy)
Baylor in 2017 - 25 spots higher than Vandy in recruiting team rankings (and in points - Baylor - 193 to 167 for Vandy)
Baylor in 2016 - 14 spots higher than Vandy in recruiting team rankings (and in points - Baylor - 192 to 171 for Vandy)

An average of 17 spots lower each year -- your 5th ranked team VS the SEC's last (14th) ranked team - with regards to recruiting....

That should scare you more than it give you hope.....

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I guess we are commenting on it because someone started a game thread and those who commented thought that a game thread was intended to illicit discussion. I am so sorry that comments by OU fans are such an irritant to many herein. One way or the other it will be over tomorrow. I just hope it's a great game. I'm glad my Sooners are in it and will get to test themselves against the defending national champs. My posts these past few weeks have been in the same vein that they were back in 2002-2003 when I first joined this board. Somehow things have changed since then. I'm sorry for that but my respect for Alabama football has not changed.
Hold on a second.....you brought data to support your position. Several Bama fans are telling you your data is flawed. Somehow that's proof the board has changed? I promise you that the board is MUCH more civil than it was in 2002-2003..... (almost to the point of hand-holding).....

I think that Bama fans are just tired of people looking for a flaw in the design or a chink in the armor -- that will give the other team the win....

We see analysis after analysis showing how OU can win..... and then we see prediction after prediction about how Bama will win.....

I think we would all like to see someone on the national media circuit say -- "Dang, this team is good, they are fun to watch, and we have a shot at seeing history made!"

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I can't wait till Saturday night.
I can. That game could be a heart stopper. Bama can't start out like they did against Jawga. I sure hope Tua is 100% for this game. If we don't SCORE every time we have the Ball, we could be in trouble. Our OFFENSE needs to maintain POSSESSION of the BALL for 45+ minutes and we could still be in trouble. I sure hope our DB's have the BEST game ever! Well, ditto for the DL and LB's.

I don't think Oklahoma's defense is that BAD. Well, I could be wrong. Their OFFENSE is THAT good. My wish is that we totally SHUT them OUT! However, I don't think that is POSSIBLE.

I thought Vandy had a decent DEFENSE. Well, they did NOT represent the SEC, known for DEFENSE, very well. Maybe those Big 12 OFFENSES are AMAZING and unstoppable. If so, then the Vandy vs Baylor game could be what ours will look like with even more scoring. Just look at the Jawga vs Sooner game last year! Where was Jawga's outstanding DEFENSE?

Here's HOPING Bama's DEFENSE can STOP the SOONERS! Looks like it will be a game of chasing Kyler and trying to COVER the WR's. Those RB's aren't bad either. A CONTROLLED RUSH with HANDS held HIGH that doesn't let Kyler escape on a long journey down the field. Make him GUESS where his receivers are. Don't let him see them! Then intercept some of those throws.

Just being REALISTIC! I think toooooo many on this board are being toooo idealistic with predictions.

P. S. I am sick of losing to Oklahoma! 3-1-1. I was at the game several years ago in Norman and in Tuscaloosa the next year. I was also at that TIE game in the Bluebonnet Bowl in the Astrodome.

I want to see another game like the L. Jordan, #54, Orange Bowl in 1963.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I can. That game could be a heart stopper. Bama can't start out like they did against Jawga. I sure hope Tua is 100% for this game. If we don't SCORE every time we have the Ball, we could be in trouble. Our OFFENSE needs to maintain POSSESSION of the BALL for 45+ minutes and we could still be in trouble. I sure hope our DB's have the BEST game ever! Well, ditto for the DL and LB's.

I don't think Oklahoma's defense is that BAD. Well, I could be wrong. Their OFFENSE is THAT good. My wish is that we totally SHUT them OUT! However, I don't think that is POSSIBLE.

I thought Vandy had a decent DEFENSE. Well, they did NOT represent the SEC, known for DEFENSE, very well. Maybe those Big 12 OFFENSES are AMAZING and unstoppable. If so, then the Vandy vs Baylor game could be what ours will look like with even more scoring. Just look at the Jawga vs Sooner game last year! Where was Jawga's outstanding DEFENSE?

Here's HOPING Bama's DEFENSE can STOP the SOONERS! Looks like it will be a game of chasing Kyler and trying to COVER the WR's. Those RB's aren't bad either. A CONTROLLED RUSH with HANDS held HIGH that doesn't let Kyler escape on a long journey down the field. Make him GUESS where his receivers are. Don't let him see them! Then intercept some of those throws.

Just being REALISTIC! I think toooooo many on this board are being toooo idealistic with predictions.

P. S. I am sick of losing to Oklahoma! 3-1-1. I was at the game several years ago in Norman and in Tuscaloosa the next year. I was also at that TIE game in the Bluebonnet Bowl in the Astrodome.

I want to see another game like the L. Jordan, #54, Orange Bowl in 1963.
Think you got hacked by an Oklahoma fan. Might want to change your password.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Think you got hacked by an Oklahoma fan. Might want to change your password.
Just trying to make those Oklahoma players, if they read this, OVERCONFIDENT. Hopefully, they will think they are so good, they can play with 9 players on each side of the ball.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This is not the Baylor of a few years ago.

This year's team has an adjusted scoring offense of 24.2.
Vandy gives up 28.5 ppg (adjusted).

Even Oklahoma's historically bad defense held them to fewer points than Vandy did.

Vandy's offense scores adjusted 25.1 while Baylor's defense surrenders 30.0.

(I'd have to delve closer into the numbers and adjust for each opponent, but that suggests Vandy's offense would score 28).

So it was an average night for Baylor, and a poor one for Vandy.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Hold on a second.....you brought data to support your position. Several Bama fans are telling you your data is flawed. Somehow that's proof the board has changed? I promise you that the board is MUCH more civil than it was in 2002-2003..... (almost to the point of hand-holding).....

I think that Bama fans are just tired of people looking for a flaw in the design or a chink in the armor -- that will give the other team the win....

We see analysis after analysis showing how OU can win..... and then we see prediction after prediction about how Bama will win.....

I think we would all like to see someone on the national media circuit say -- "Dang, this team is good, they are fun to watch, and we have a shot at seeing history made!"
Best post that I have seen on this board today. Very, very accurate and thanks for expressing it.

Trjtrjtrj

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 4, 2018
Actually Baylor has a MUCH better recruiting history as of late. In fact they've had 3 consecutive Top 5 Big12 Classes. Vandy has finished 14th, 14th, 12th the last three years in the SEC. Baylor has 6 - 4* alone last year. Vandy has 3 on their roster - total. Not quite the same recruiting levels.

Baylor in 2018 - 12 spots higher than Vandy in recruiting team rankings (and in points - Baylor - 215 to 202 for Vandy)
Baylor in 2017 - 25 spots higher than Vandy in recruiting team rankings (and in points - Baylor - 193 to 167 for Vandy)
Baylor in 2016 - 14 spots higher than Vandy in recruiting team rankings (and in points - Baylor - 192 to 171 for Vandy)

An average of 17 spots lower each year -- your 5th ranked team VS the SEC's last (14th) ranked team - with regards to recruiting....

That should scare you more than it give you hope.....
You should also show how many of those highly rated players left Baylor in this analysis.

Trjtrjtrj

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 4, 2018
From earlier in the thread: In case anyone was wondering, this is the #6 Big 12 team versus the #11 SEC team.

I just knew when I opened TF this morning that there would be OU people touting the Baylor win over Vandy like it means something..
Of course that ignores the fact that there are more teams in the SEC. Four teams in the Big XII finished below Baylor and four teams in the SEC finished below Vandy.

But lets get back on point. I'm certainly not one to honk for Baylor -- I think the Big XII was right to consider kicking them out over the whole Briles era improprieties -- but as @OwenfieldDreams nicely presented in an earlier post, the Vandy/Baylor game does show that even also-ran Big XII offenses can be difficult to stop. Just something to consider.

Trjtrjtrj

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 4, 2018
I'm not in the national media but I can say that without hesitation. "Dang, 2018 Bama is good, they are fun to watch, and we have a shot at seeing history made!"

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
You should also show how many of those highly rated players left Baylor in this analysis.
How many have left since 2018? Furthermore, we're talking about a program in Baylor who won the BIG12 in 2013 and 2014 compared with a team who has never been in the conversation for the SEC championship. Baylor is a better football program than Vanderbilt and did what they should have and won the game..

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
So, there are Big 12 people here beating their chest because Baylor beat Vandy? Vandy? By a whopping 7 points? Allow that to sink in for a minute or two. When was the last time an SEC team boasted about a win over the 'Dores? Granted, Tennessee would, if they could beat them, ha!

Wakecrash

Suspended
Sep 22, 2018
Four teams in the Big XII finished below Baylor and four teams in the SEC finished below Vandy.
Actually only 3 teams in the SEC finished below Vandy overall record, and as far as conference record only one SEC East team finished below vandy and the east is historically and continues to be weaker than the SEC west. No way Vandy and Baylor are comparable programs in there relative conferences. Baylor had a very good match up.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.