What will happen to Bama after Saban?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I’d actually be open to bringing in an established coordinator and removing HC experience as a required prerequisite. Whoever it is I’d prefer we go the youth route and hire someone in the age range of 36-50 range and that can stay a while. Oklahoma hit the lottery two times in a row with a very young Bob Stoops and Lincoln Riley, neither who previously had HC experience.
You left out the part that they coach in a **very weak** conference.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Coach Saban is one of the best, if not the best, head coach in college football history. There's no reason to think anyone can continue to do as well as he has at Bama. The next coach will take over a talent-rich team, so the success will continue for a few years. But it will eventually drop off.

Based on his success at Clemson, I'd say Dabo would do very well at Bama. But I doubt he could sustain the level of success Saban has enjoyed over the last ten years. He'd keep Bama near the top of college football, but what Saban has done is truly remarkable. Unmatched in all of college football.

But college football is changing and will be very different in ten years. The next great coach at Bama will be a different type of coach playing a different type of game. He'll likely be someone we don't even know about at this time.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I really don’t understand the premise of the OP , seems a lot of folks ignore the history of Alabama football . If he is referring to what a lot of our rivals believe, that a Bama will return to the early 2000s type of program, then you are sadly mistaken. If you are asking what we truly believe, well, there is no reason to think the university will not take the necessary steps to hire one of the best available coaches. I don’t put much stock in anything Dabo has said about not wanting the job, but at the same time I think he will consider it but stay at Clemson. He has it too easy in an easy league. I think we should look at what Cristobal is doing in Oregon. He may not want the job either if he takes over the PAC12 . But he is worth looking at.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You left out the part that they coach in a **very weak** conference.
When Bob Stoops took over at OU, the Nebraska Cornhuskers still had players wearing national title rings and Kansas State had
just been one play from the national title game.

And while it's a fairer criticism regarding Riley, he did damn near beat UGA and DID beat Urban Meyer his first shot.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
As a traditional program, I agree. But they have to win a championship for me to consider their current regime elite.
I hear what you are saying, but OU is certainly more "elite" than FSU or Auburn despite their more recent championships.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I hear what you are saying, but OU is certainly more "elite" than FSU or Auburn despite their more recent championships.
Neither of those current regimes has won a championship, and I said that a championship is a criteria, not the only criteria.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Oklahoma is still an elite program, I don’t care how bad their conference is.
...wondering if I should point out that Georgia Tech has as many national titles in the last 30 years as Oklahoma......so does Washington........Colorado.........Tennessee.........

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
So you would hire a guy whose been a head coach for 1 year at Jacksonville State and 3 years at UAB to be the head football coach at The University of Alabama? Please, tell me you're joking..
By the time CNS retires Clark will have a much longer resume. I wouldn’t pick him now, but five years from now he may look better with sustained success probably somewhere besides UAB since I don’t see him staying there.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
By the time CNS retires Clark will have a much longer resume. I wouldn’t pick him now, but five years from now he may look better with sustained success probably somewhere besides UAB since I don’t see him staying there.
Yea, if he goes to a major program and has success then maybe he'd be considered but I don't even think he was on the radar of any major program. I have nothing against him personally it's just unbelievable to me that in every "who will be our next coach thread" someone seriously brings up the name Bill Clark. Why? It'd be the equivalent of Apple hiring their next CEO from a mom and pop store. Just completely illogical..

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I have no idea at this point who will replace CNS. But as previously stated I'm sure the target(s) for the hire will be by a committee headed by CNS himself. I also think he'll stay on as director of football operations until such time as the program has reached what he deems sustainable. He's stated before he's been a part of a team since he was 9(?) years old and can't see NOT being a part of a team.

I was born the year Paul "Bear" Bryant came to Alabama so I've been privileged enough to see both dynasty's. For that I'm blessed and thankful. I could name several coaches I'd be "OK" with but I really don't think I'll ever again see a dynasty like this in my lifetime. I hope I'm wrong.

RTR!!!

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I have no idea at this point who will replace CNS. But as previously stated I'm sure the target(s) for the hire will be by a committee headed by CNS himself. I also think he'll stay on as director of football operations until such time as the program has reached what he deems sustainable. He's stated before he's been a part of a team since he was 9(?) years old and can't see NOT being a part of a team.

I was born the year Paul "Bear" Bryant came to Alabama so I've been privileged enough to see both dynasty's. For that I'm blessed and thankful. I could name several coaches I'd be "OK" with but I really don't think I'll ever again see a dynasty like this in my lifetime. I hope I'm wrong.

RTR!!!
Isn’t a ‘committee’ how we ended up with Bill Curry over Bobby Bowden back in 1987?

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
mike price didn't ;)
That marriage didn't count, we got an annulment.

I forget who said it, but I think it applies in this situation. You never want to be the guy who replaces a legend. You want to be the second guy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.