What will happen to Bama after Saban?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamabill123

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2018
Let's assume Saban doesn't continue coaching at Bama forever. What do you think will happen in the first season and thereafter when he's not head coach?
who the hell cares, why cant we just enjoy the ride. we were lucky saban came our way but so many people are fixated on the future. i'm 61, i'm enjoying the ride we are on. god bless saban and our coaching staff. RTR

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've said this several times in the past but I'll post it again - I'm betting that whomever Bama chooses isn't on ANYONE'S radar right now. I'm guessing Saban has at least five years left in the tank, and at that point there's no telling who the hot, proven names will be.

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN
My first pick would be Dabo. Good coach, family in area, alumni, and no major NCAA issues. I keep seeing folks say no to Dabo but never put a reason. I have heard something happened while he was grad asst. or asst. coach here but never knew what, if anything happened. Those who oppose Dabo please let the rest of us know why!!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I've said this several times in the past but I'll post it again - I'm betting that whomever Bama chooses isn't on ANYONE'S radar right now. I'm guessing Saban has at least five years left in the tank, and at that point there's no telling who the hot, proven names will be.
My guess - after 2 years off and a few years in Saban's rehabilitation program, Urban Meyer takes over at Alabama and wins 5 championships.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Paging Tide-HSV......paging Tide-HSV.....

I thought was the driving force on that, but I was way young, too.
I am pretty sure the job was Bowdens, but the University system required an interview , and Bowden refused to interview for a job stating his proven credentials. Or something along those lines.

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
I don’t think I could take a repeat of 1997-2006 so I’m hoping the AD and the administration gets it right. We probably won’t see the success that Saban has had, but I think the fanbase would learn to live with a SECC/playoff appearance/NC every 2-3 years and as long as we stay relevant for play on the field and not because of the NCAA slapping us with probation and scholarship losses I’d be good with it.

Just hope it doesn’t happen anytime in the next 7+ years

#Dec29

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I will say this, the coach that is hired has to have a strong personality to keep th boosters and outside distractions at bay , especially after all the winning. That is the thing about Nick, you know it’s his ship.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
I agree with bamabill123 - enjoy the ride. Nonetheless...

LSU was in a similar situation 17 years ago. Legendary baseball coach, skip Bertman was retiring. He won 5 national championships in 10 years and had been to the CWS several other times. Baseball was huge (and still very large) at LSU. Fans are very passionate and we lead the nation in attendance every year.

Skip hand picked his successor, Smoke Laval, then coach at UL Monroe and former Bertman assistant. Some say skip picked him because he was expendable and skip figured he never really had a chance to live up to expectations. Fans never gave smoke a chance. In five years, Smoke led lsu to the CWS twice, but never won a game in Omaha. He resigned under pressure - enter Paul Mainieri. Under Mainieri, we’ve won one NC, 2009, and have been to Omaha with mixed results a few other times. Overall his stats aren’t that much better than Smoke’s but he does have the NC. Mainieri is entering his 13th season as head coach and is the preseason #1.

Wouldn't to surprise me to see something similar happen at Bama. Just multiply the fandom by 10 and the dollars at stake by 100. Ha.

P.s. Skip Bertman became AD at LSU when he retired from baseball. Saban had just been hired. I believe he and Saban have a great relationship.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Never thought I would be typing this name as a potential candidate but...

Freddie Kitchens may be someone we have to keep an eye. There is chatter going that he getting looked as a possible up and coming HC candidate in the NFL. You can be sure Bruce Arians will be doing all he can to put in a good reference for him. If he has success in the NFL as a HC I would feel a lot better about him as HC than Dabo. Freddie has done nothing but work his butt off and keep his ego in check and starting to payoff for him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Curry leaves.

I'm sitting there smirking over us about to get Bobby Bowden, and Gene Stallings walks through the door.

I......could......not.......believe it.........

His starting 0-3 didn't make me think much better of him. The Cardinals, well, I know you don't keep up with the NFL (and I haven't kept up with it in detail for over 25 years), but that was Bill Bidwill more than anything else. Stallings took over a 5-11 team and in his third season, he had them in first place at 7-4, their first year in Phoenix. They had even beaten the eventual champion 49ers that year. In their next four games, they played three playoff teams (Philly twice and Houston) and went 0-3, lost to a 10-6 Giants team........four losses in a row.

To top it off, they lost to the Green Bay Packers in the finale, a win that cost the Pack the first overall draft choice that turned out to be Troy Aikman.

The Cards never recovered.

And Stallings's TEAMS didn't impress....his defenses did.

We were never in the running for Bobby Bowden in 1990. He was solid to FSU at that time. We WERE in 1987 when Curry was hired. Joab Thomas’ stupid committee approach is the reason we lost out on Bowden at that time. Instead of hiring the best available candidate, we hired who the committee thought interviewed the best.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Soo, who leaves first, Lincoln Riley to the NFL . Or Nick Saban to retirement?
Bob Stoops had multiple opportunities to coach in the NFL. He turned them all down and is still in Oklahoma after a great career retired as a multimillionaire and loving life at still a relatively young age. I think Lincoln Riley may wisely look at and follow that example.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I remember when we didn't offer the Head Coach Job to Pat Dye.
I had a chance to talk to him for a couple of hours about football...
Interesting conversation to say the least.
When we didn't offer, he felt like he had something to prove.
And just like that Coach Dye wound up in Auburn.
(Auburn learned to play hard nosed football)
Many of our fans don't like Coach Dye, but I do.
To say he is not socially correct is an understatement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.