What will happen to Bama after Saban?

Status
Not open for further replies.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
i really dont understand the disdain for dabo from some posters here. If nick saban and alabama didnt exist, dabo could be going for his 3rd or 4th NC right now and hes not even 50 yet. There are only 3 active head coaches who have won a national title now that meyer is retired. It's HARD to get to the top of the mountain. if CNS retires relatively soon, and the AD doesnt go for dabo, he should be immediately fired.
Dabo did some really dirty stuff while employed at UA.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think Dabo must has some naked pictures of some of you ;)

Yes, I know "something" happened when he was at Bama as a GA, but if you're looking at someone with the proven record of building and winning NCs he has to be the #1 candidate right now. Key wording here is "right now."

I really think the "turn off" to Dabo with some is that he is so different from CNS. CNS is stoic and Dabo is folksy, but show me someone outside of CNS not named Urban, that has done what Dabo has done at Clemson?

I'd also recommend this little recognized fact. We'll be better off not trying to hire CNS's clone (personality wise). If you try to replace "the man" with someone like "the man" you'll never like the results.

But, unless CNS is about to pull a surprise, he's not retiring "right now." 3-7 years from now the coaching landscape will look alot different.

If Mario were to rebuild Oregon and win a Pac 12 or get to the playoff that would be impressive.

If Jeremy Pruitt (who I feel is more like CNS in personality - see my comment above) were to revive Tennessee to win the east and or a SECC in the next few years that would be noteworthy as well.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Dabo did some really dirty stuff while employed at UA.
Did he make some mistakes? It seems so. But the question is, "What has he done as a HC?"

I'm not saying Dabo is the HEIR APPARENT, but to say he shouldn't be considered at all for something that happened over 20 years ago is short sided IMO.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
i really dont care honestly. he's the most successful active head coach in college football not named nick saban by a mile, and hes 49. and he played at bama. you guys are INSANE.
Where did I say I didn’t want him. You asked why people have issues with him and I told you.

But I’ll spoil the surprise for you... He isn’t coming even if we offered the moon to him.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Did he make some mistakes? It seems so. But the question is, "What has he done as a HC?"

I'm not saying Dabo is the HEIR APPARENT, but to say he shouldn't be considered at all for something that happened over 20 years ago is short sided IMO.
I think I said “he isn’t coming” not “ he shouldn’t be considered or called”.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Where did I say I didn’t want him. You asked why people have issues with him and I told you.

But I’ll spoil the surprise for you... He isn’t coming even if we offered the moon to him.
I'm not clamoring for him. if he doesnt come, good for him, and that is his decision. but people here are acting like "we dont want him". that is completely ludicrous. there's no logical reason why he shouldnt be number 1 on the list. if he says no, he says no. you have to make him say no.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
yeah, totally. hes only been in 4 straight playoffs, was a "Derrick Henry" away from back to back NC's, and is the favorite to play bama again for the national title this year. complete cancer to a program.
There are lots of super successful coaches that I wouldn't want as our head coach. I think Dabo is a phony person and have no interest in seeing him leading our team.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm not clamoring for him. if he doesnt come, good for him, and that is his decision. but people here are acting like "we dont want him". that is completely ludicrous. there's no logical reason why he shouldnt be number 1 on the list. if he says no, he says no. you have to make him say no.
Yes he should be a top 3, but I’m not totally sold on the Top choice because things can change very quickly in 5 years.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think I said “he isn’t coming” not “ he shouldn’t be considered or called”.
Assuming you are just offering your opinion.

I understand he's been offered the hypothetical and said he's not interested, but I also remember CNS pretty much doing the same too.

I certainly wouldn't say he's a lock to follow CNS, but I also know the historical lore of the position and I believe he would think with a full pantry of talent plus being a great recruiter himself, he'd win at least 1 NC at Bama and likely secure his place in the college football hall of fame for doing so.

There's no question he could finish his career at Clemson and none of us would fault him for doing so, but there is that voice of a calling that would be hard to ignore if the opportunity was presented to him.

BTW, it matters not to me that he's a former player, but it also would be a cool thing for him to follow in another former player's footsteps and come back to walk in those steps of one of the greatest of all time.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Assuming you are just offering your opinion.

I understand he's been offered the hypothetical and said he's not interested, but I also remember CNS pretty much doing the same too.

I certainly wouldn't say he's a lock to follow CNS, but I also know the historical lore of the position and I believe he would think with a full pantry of talent plus being a great recruiter himself, he'd win at least 1 NC at Bama and likely secure his place in the college football hall of fame for doing so.

There's no question he could finish his career at Clemson and none of us would fault him for doing so, but there is that voice of a calling that would be hard to ignore if the opportunity was presented to him.

BTW, it matters not to me that he's a former player, but it also would be a cool thing for him to follow in another former player's footsteps and come back to walk in those steps of one of the greatest of all time.
There are many problems with Dabo to UA and the chief amongst them is that he would go from “casting shadows” to being “ standing in shadows”. Why would he go from being possibly the greatest coach at a program to being the man that followed THE MAN?

Another is fitting in at Alabama. I think Pruitt fits far better than Dabo.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Hopefully CNS will coach another 5-7 years. As I said previously, by that time I believe college football will be a very different game. Current coaches will have to adapt. New coaches will come onto the horizon that we know nothing about at this time. However, if you look at the current coaches, Dabo definitely should be considered. Christobal and Pruitt might be considered "top coaches" by then. We'll see how they pan out.

One name I haven't seen mentioned is Jimbo Fisher. I'm sure the response to that name will be about as derisive as to Dabo. But he also might be CNS's recommendation if he does well at A&M.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
who the hell cares, why cant we just enjoy the ride. we were lucky saban came our way but so many people are fixated on the future. i'm 61, i'm enjoying the ride we are on. god bless saban and our coaching staff. RTR
Enjoyable thread but after 11 pages this is your winner right here. We need to enjoy this now as much as possible. Saban is going to be a tough act to follow.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Ya, the entirety of college football that is not pro-Alabama is asking this question, those people are just vying their time until Saban retires, I for one feel Saban will always have a hand in the process at Alabama, if not anything other than an analyst, or advisor. Head Coach Advisor. In some form or fashion Coach Saban can find a predecessor; perhaps he has already found him and let him go into the world, and when the time is right, and the world is ready, Coach Saban will call upon that Coach and recruit him back home. And the process will continue, under the watchful eye of the REC.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
i really dont care honestly. he's the most successful active head coach in college football not named nick saban by a mile, and hes 49. and he played at bama. you guys are INSANE.
Integrity and honor still mean something to some of us. Once you lose one of those, I’m not sure you ever get it back. #NeverDabo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.