Link: ESPN ranks coaches they would hire in the NFL.... no Nick Saban

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's obvoiusly the fact that everyone knows CNS is not on the market. When UT couldn't lure him away it was set in stone he'd finish his coaching career at Bama.

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN
I certainly can't speak for anyone other than myself, but at almost the age of CNS I find myself not that interested anymore in climbing the ladder. I'm happy where I am and stability and family are more important than personal ambition.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I certainly can't speak for anyone other than myself, but at almost the age of CNS I find myself not that interested anymore in climbing the ladder. I'm happy where I am and stability and family are more important than personal ambition.
The thing with Saban is that he can have the family and stability and still be able to attain his personal ambitions. If he went NFL and didn’t succeed again he’s tarnished. He can stay where he’s at help young people succeed and grow and continue to win titles and solidify his legacy at the GOAT

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I don't understand the appeal of the NFL for established college head coaches other than ego and (potentially) slightly more $$$. You have no control, you are dealing with 55 prima donnas and all that comes with it, your GM thinks he's smarter than you, your owner is a billionaire, the hours are brutal, etc etc etc.

Texas_tide

Scout Team
Oct 16, 2018
Exactly. Who wants a nfl job. I understand the allure of being on the next level. But saban has tried it. Probably would have had a different ending if the doc would have cleared drew brees.

You can grow and mold young men in college. Passionate and hungry. Plus bigger money in college. Saban got emotional for Jalen after Georgia win. You just won’t have that feeling in NFL.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
As much as ESPN would like us all to think, professional sports like NBA, NFL, and MLB is just not the end-all, be-all for a lot of people who coach the sports. Now, as an athlete, of course you want to make it big, because you were never getting that pro money or fame before. But, as a coach? It's just not ANYTHING it's cracked up to be. I think a guy like Saban was NEVER gonna be at home as a pro coach. But, a guy like Pete Carroll was probably just in college biding his time until the pros opened up. Mack Brown was probably never interested in the pro game, but Bill Callahan had no business ever coaching a college program.

Day to day operations are just not even apple to apples in comparison.

Sevenmm

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 16, 2018
Didn't he already try the NFL and was not so good, just sayin.....why would they think that would change ?? at his age, why would he want it.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
BTDT and it's nice when you can exit the Rat Race.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Didn't he already try the NFL and was not so good, just sayin.....why would they think that would change ?? at his age, why would he want it.
Well, not so good isn’t exactly the characterization. I mean the man was about 500 with the dolphins without a serviceable qb , Jason Taylor thrived in Nick’s system at the Jack.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I am surprised that Kirby Smart was not in the list. He’s young, runs a pro style offense, good defensive mind. Has one year NFL experience with the dolphins. Turned a team around very quickly. 32-8 as a head coach. Better credentials than most on the list. Wonder why he isn’t considered? Personality?

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
I've never understood the idea that he failed in the NFL.

I remember how big of a deal it was that he turned the dolphins around his first year. I think they went from a three-win team to a nine win team immediately with no QB.

He coached an elite defense in year 2, and coached the DPOY up. They went into the season as a contender, after picking up Culpepper who wasn't healthy and struggled to 6 wins. Every coach in the NFL has likely had worse seasons that 6 wins. Unless you get that franchise QB, you will not be consistent. But, to Sabans talent evaluation credit. He wanted Brees after he was struggling and had little fan fair as a Charger, not the record setting QB Culpepper. The doctors wouldn't clear Drew.

He would've been great in the NFL. But I don't think it is as rewarding as being at a top college job. As a control freak...the challenges of the NFL due to the salary cap and other factors, such as having an owner is not appealing.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

I remember how big of a deal it was that he turned the dolphins around his first year. I think they went from a three-win team to a nine win team immediately with no QB.

He coached an elite defense in year 2, and coached the DPOY up. They went into the season as a contender, after picking up Culpepper who wasn't healthy and struggled to 6 wins. Every coach in the NFL has likely had worse seasons that 6 wins. Unless you get that franchise QB, you will not be consistent. But, to Sabans talent evaluation credit. He wanted Brees after he was struggling and had little fan fair as a Charger, not the record setting QB Culpepper. The doctors wouldn't clear Drew.

He would've been great in the NFL. But I don't think it is as rewarding as being at a top college job. As a control freak...the challenges of the NFL due to the salary cap and other factors, such as having an owner is not appealing.
I'd like to send the doctors a thank you card.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

Nick had a very understanding relationship with Miami ownership. He probably had 5 years to turn the Dolphins into a contender. I think Nicks foray into the NFL, and the characterization as a failure had a lot to do with Steve Spurrier and his lack of trying with the Redskins. Nick quit the NFL right after Steve cut bait and from Washington so people viewed them about the same. The person we really have to thank for our coach is a small town girl from West Virginia. She wasn’t a fan of South Beach, preferred the smaller towns of college life. The talk was Ms Terry is more comfortable in small towns

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.