Officiating - Bama vs. OU...

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Re: Officiating Tonight

It worked out where the review process seemed to like a frantic attempt to find anyway possible to mitigate Alabama's dominance. The Juedy overturned reception was very pedantic interpretation of the rules. The Ruggs TD review was much the same but there was no one nanometer shift of the ball to hone in on for the review personnel. Then again, the Harris fumble reversal was huge for us so I guess I'm just being a homer. The illegal formation penalty was incorrect unless of course the vast majority of snaps taken in this game by either team was procedurally incorrect. Again I guess I'm being a homer but I'm not seeing a penalty on that play other than a way to take a TD off the board.

I thought this crew was at their worst managing the post-snap conduct in this game. OU's RT (I believe) committed two separate post-snap conduct penalties that were uncalled. Technically should've been ejected but realistically just calling the first one would've stopped the second one and some of the tempers that flared in the trenches throughout the game.

All in all, about what I expect from an ACC crew. Mostly not bad but some random weirdo calls and generally poor control over the game w/r/t player conduct.
I thought the Jeudy overturn showed just how much they were mugging our receivers. His horse collar on Jeudy was almost as bad as Moses' horsecollar on Murray.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

The procedure penalty on Wills was completely due to the OU coaches chirping. No other explanation. As rgw said, if that's a penalty, the majority of the snaps in today's game are worthy of a flag.

When Fowler says "they might have gotten away with one there," you know it's bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

I thought the Jeudy overturn showed just how much they were mugging our receivers. His horse collar on Jeudy was almost as bad as Moses' horsecollar on Murray.
That and the non existent illegal formation call on Wills that took the TD off the board really chapped me.

Seriously you’re reviewing to see if the receiver maintained possession but you’re oblivious to obvious mugging taking place prior to the ball arriving? I know you can’t call a penalty via review with the exception of targeting, but that was ridiculous.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

And btw - showing my consistency of character - we WERE offsides and got away with it on that third down when they were deep in their own territory. Didn't matter as they converted the fourth.

And I didn't think Murray's knee ever touched, either - but then Davis took his lid off, so it didn't matter.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL

The worst no-call was on #75 who jumped on Quinnen Williams after the play was over in front of two officials. I haven’t re-watched this game but it seems like 75 had a PF called against him earlier in the game, so another would have resulted in ejection. This was not “letting them play,” it was the officials nearly losing control of the game. Oh, and Offensive Pass Interference (aka pushing off) is a thing—if it’s called properly over half of Lamb’s receptions aren’t receptions.
Ejection comes from multiple unsportsmanlike calls, not personal fouls.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek

75's flag early was an unsportsmanlike call. His assualt of Q could/should have been #2. He lost it for a second there...became something other than a football player. You could see it in his eyes, along with his actions.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

And the “fumble” by Harris that was reversed on review was about close to being a fumble as Oklahoma’s backward pass that was returned for a Bama TD.

Neither should have been remotely called as such. Harris was clearly on the ground long before he extends the ball with his left arm The Oklahoma pass was clearly two to three yards forward. Blow the damn whistle, mark the ball and play the game.

This is clearly officials inserting themselves into the game looking for calls that don’t exist.

Yet when they overwhelmingly miss obvious calls (holding, DPI, OPI - specifically Lamb) they chalk it up to “letting them play”? And the spear on Q that wasn’t called (which would have sent that guy to the locker room) was just this side of criminal.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

Different crews have different ways of doing it for sure. I did see some egregious holding as always on Williams especially, there seems to be some "Alabama" rule in play there because the hold they called on us was pretty tacky tacky and they were mauling our guys. But I guess we just have to accept that cause it's never going to change.

I do not understand why that OL was not called for attacking Williams. It is his job to sack the quarterback and he did nothing illegal on the play.

I also realize this was a correct call but what was #24 thinking when he signaled fair catch on a play we should have easily returned to the redone. That particular series of events essentially kept Oklahoma in the game.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

And Raekwon Davis’ ripping off his helmet after the sack (which I don’t think was) of Murray was his reaction to thinking Murray was down and not called.

And that was a reaction to a night where he, Buggs and Q among others had consistently all night while this keystone cops of officiating crews played “see no evil”.

Excusable? No. Understandable? Absolutely.

CraigMack

1st Team
Jul 13, 2000
Chelsea, AL

At best, the referees were gutless.

At worst, they were corrupt.

Either way, if you are incapable of doing your job properly then you should no longer have it.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

Get ready for more of the same against Clemson... go back and watch the 2016 ncg again. There was lots of aggressive play by their OL and WRs all night that prevented our defense from getting off the field. You can guarantee that CU will be practicing pick plays all week for Renfrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN

How did we have to start a drive inside to 25 on a fair catch (which shouldn’t have been a fair catch) after they had 2 penalties enforced on their kickoff?

CraigMack

1st Team
Jul 13, 2000
Chelsea, AL

Alabama has defensive linemen after defensive linemen become NFL stars, drafted high in draft yet, if you are to believe the referees, they are almost never held while they are in college. They are the superior player, the superior athlete but they never overwhelm their opponent to point of causing a hold.

Conversely, the Alabama offensive linemen (many who are drafted and become NFL stars) find the need to hold their lesser opponent at a much higher rate. I would love to sit down with a group of referees, their bosses, whoever, and have them explain this flawed logic.

It's been going on for years but I don't think that I'll ever be able to accept it...I can't just lay back and enjoy it.

Remember the national championship game from a couple of years ago. Alabama had an all-time defense full of high round nfl draft picks all over. The front 7 was practically 2 deep in NFL players going against a good, not great, college offensive line at Clemson. Clemson ran 99 offensive plays that night and WAS NOT CALLED FOR ONE HOLD. As matter of fact, they didn't commit a single penalty (according to the referees) other than a single five yarder (either a false start or formation penalty, can't remember...point still stands). I was, am, and will always be at a loss over that hatchet job. It defied any and all logic.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA

Ejection comes from multiple unsportsmanlike calls, not personal fouls.
75 and 74 should have been called for about 4 unsportsmanlike penalties a piece. They were taking turns muffin our guys after plays and during plays in front of the refs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

And the “fumble” by Harris that was reversed on review was about close to being a fumble as Oklahoma’s backward pass that was returned for a Bama TD.

Neither should have been remotely called as such. Harris was clearly on the ground long before he extends the ball with his left arm The Oklahoma pass was clearly two to three yards forward.
Blow the damn whistle, mark the ball and play the game.

This is clearly officials inserting themselves into the game looking for calls that don’t exist.

Yet when they overwhelmingly miss obvious calls (holding, DPI, OPI - specifically Lamb) they chalk it up to “letting them play”? And the spear on Q that wasn’t called (which would have sent that guy to the locker room) was just this side of criminal.
That's why we have replay reviews. You have a lot of action by 22 players happening very fast and every ref cant be properly placed to see all of it in real time.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I thought the refs were bad, but also that they had some incredibly close plays that could have gone either way. Ruggs TD would not have been overturned regardless of how it was ruled on the field. IOW, if it had been ruled no catch, that would have stood as well.

Where I think they fell down was not flagging the unsportsmanlike conduct on OU that started happening about the time they started getting embarrassed. I can't explain how 75 wasn't ejected on multiple occasions.

So that's on both the refs and the OU coaching staff.

As others have already pointed out, Wills' illegal formation call was bogus. That said, he had several mistakes and it wasn't his best game.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

I don't like it, but I can live with missed calls especially when they make no difference in the end.

But this trend of refs losing control of the game has to stop.

I'm seeing more and more games where the refs let chippiness go and then let blatant personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct go unchecked and pretty soon there's a brawl or near brawl or worsening conduct and in any case it makes the sport look bad.

I want a fair/even game called - and this too often doesn't happen - but the refs losing control is even worse.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

I watched the game in California with my USC family, and all of them were aghast at the lack of holding calls against OU. They knew there was no way OU's line could block that solidly for that long. One of the calls that made my brother upset (USC grad) was the hands-to-the-face call against Mack Wilson, which it did happen, but the OU lineman was holding when Mack tried to turn around to get Murray. At the very least, it's offsetting penalties and replay the down.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.