Officiating - Bama vs. OU...

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
Re: Officiating Tonight

I don't think this is correct. There is disqualification for either a flagrant personal foul or flagrant UC...
He is correct. Two unsportsmanlike conduct fouls result in an automatic disqualification. The same does not apply for two personal fouls. A player can be ejected for a flagrant personal foul, but that is rare.

Snake 4 Bama

Scout Team
Jan 1, 2013

The worst no-call was on #75 who jumped on Quinnen Williams after the play was over in front of two officials. I haven’t re-watched this game but it seems like 75 had a PF called against him earlier in the game, so another would have resulted in ejection. This was not “letting them play,” it was the officials nearly losing control of the game. Oh, and Offensive Pass Interference (aka pushing off) is a thing—if it’s called properly over half of Lamb’s receptions aren’t receptions.
Oklahoma's passing attack was non existant in the first half. In the second half the the OK recievers started pushing off and catching passes. The ref's let them get away with it just to keep the score close.

JDMinHSV

Scout Team
Jan 11, 2007

Valley View;3358538 Also it seemed Herbie and Fowler were pulling for the Sooners. .[/QUOTE said:
Fowler was unabashedly pulling for Oklahoma. Herbie was, IMHO, his usual self. That being said, Oklahoma's safety (#6) made a living out of grabbing a handful of receiver jerseys and never got called. The middle of the Sooner line held Q on nearly rush. Not calling the personal foul on their L tackle was egregious. NCAA needs to spend some of their money on hiring and TRAINING professional referees rather than corporate bonuses!

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

SIAP - but why did RD take his helmet off? Was he tackled? Saw the play but I was watching Murray and I just assumed that was the case.
He doesn’t have a high tolerance level for opposing players cheating (Mizzou game) or playing dirty. Refs floundering around with blindfolds on doesn’t help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

He is correct. Two unsportsmanlike conduct fouls result in an automatic disqualification. The same does not apply for two personal fouls. A player can be ejected for a flagrant personal foul, but that is rare.
FPF was exactly what I meant. So you're saying that, if a player jumps on an opposing player's back while he's on the ground and punches him, then you don't count that as "flagrant?" If so, I'm certainly glad you're not officiating in the SEC. I don't think he would have gotten away with it, even with them...

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN

I don't always get the nuances of football but I was aware of holding by the OU O line on just about every play. Not subtle holds but flat out grabbing wherever and did not seem to get called. I agree that the ACC crew seemed to have an agenda after the first two reviews went Bama's way. Herbie called the OU O line as being "chippy". I call it flagrant holding and trying to wind up the Bama D to do something stupid. The rest of the OU D were grabbing jerseys, pushing off, and holding. It seemed to ramp up after Bama went up 28-0 and I think the OU coach just told the D to do whatever it takes.

I know OU has not been very successful in playoff games recently, but they should have some pride. They have a new D coordinator so let him coach them up, not use questionable desperate measures.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Reffing in Football across the board is bad these days. It's even worse right now in the NFL. It's gotten so bad people are questioning if the games are rigged or not.
Not sure games are - but I also ain’t sure certain refs aren’t getting bought off. I don’t see how they can be this bad if not on purpose.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

Watching SEC NOW , Dari Nokah, an OU grad said his OU buddies texted him about the officiating. Dari said it wasn’t officiating, Alabama was bigger, stronger ,faster, better. Then Marcus Spears said he is tired of all the conspiracy nonsense, Alabama lines up and beats you in the trenches, Tebow added Alabama is just better . All paraphrased of course. Good to hear from an OU, LSU and UF grad. Dismissing all the Refs cheating nonsense we always hear when a team loses.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006

I just thought of another call I wanted some clarification on - can someone help?

There was a hold called against Wills where he slung a defender to the ground. I haven't rewatched yet, but it looked like 74's hands were inside the shoulderpads and he just used strength to toss the defender. Since when is that illegal?

Herbstriet acted like the act of slinging the defender was a holding call in itself and I can't ever remember that being the case. Can anybody enlighten me on that call?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

I just thought of another call I wanted some clarification on - can someone help?

There was a hold called against Wills where he slung a defender to the ground. I haven't rewatched yet, but it looked like 74's hands were inside the shoulderpads and he just used strength to toss the defender. Since when is that illegal?

Herbstriet acted like the act of slinging the defender was a holding call in itself and I can't ever remember that being the case. Can anybody enlighten me on that call?
That was a bogus call, you can’t tackle a guy , but pushing him down isn’t illegal. How was that illegal but having an arm around 92’s neck as he goes by you, not illegal?

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn

One bad no call that stood out to me was the no catch review play on the sidelines. They did review the play and took the catch away from Bama which by rule is correct he almost made a heck of a catch but a flag should have been on the ground for the mugging he was dealing with. That no call caused Bama to have to punt instead of getting the penalty and keeping the drive going.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006

One bad no call that stood out to me was the no catch review play on the sidelines. They did review the play and took the catch away from Bama which by rule is correct he almost made a heck of a catch but a flag should have been on the ground for the mugging he was dealing with. That no call caused Bama to have to punt instead of getting the penalty and keeping the drive going.
Yeah and when there's a very close catch call and the review shows a blatant penalty on the defender, they should let the call on the field stand. Instead they basically turned a blind eye to their own incompetence to OVERTURN a call that at the very least was NOT indisputable...

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006

Also re: Jeudy's overturned catch - they need to fix whatever that rule is. He caught it, pulled it in, and never "lost possession" of it all the way to/through the ground. The ball moved slightly, but there was never any doubt that he had possession - same as the Ruggs TD catch.

In fact, Jeudy had the ball tucked in with one foot in bounds then his second foot hit out of bounds before the ball moved. It's not like the ball ever came out of his hands or hit the ground. That is a freaking catch.

CrimsonGriff

Suspended
Aug 20, 2007
GulfCoast of Florida

Refs are bad across the board these days, but I am apt to allow some bad calls or no calls if it falls both ways, not so in the game with OU. The majority of the calls in the game fell OU's way, and at times it was like the ACC refs had an agenda to try and keep Bama out of the Championship game is possible. Not one holding call on OU but multiple calls on Bama, while OU agree we may have held on occasion, OU help on 3/4 of their offensive plays (not one called). We won and I guess I should be happy with that, but wish that officiating was equally doled out during this game.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

I thought the same thing when I first saw it. If the blocker pulls his arm away quickly once the defender gets around the blocker, it is not called as a hold (this is where snapshots show a hold when it is not a hold).

I just re-watched the call on Wills and it looks pretty clear that he grasped jersey as he pulled his arm away and the OU player went down. I think it was a good call by the refs. It was on Bama's last drive of the first half that included a mess of mistakes by Bama including the bogus call by the refs for the illegal formation. The drive resulted in a field goal after all the junk.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I thought the same thing when I first saw it. If the blocker pulls his arm away quickly once the defender gets around the blocker, it is not called as a hold (this is where snapshots show a hold when it is not a hold).

I just re-watched the call on Wills and it looks pretty clear that he grasped jersey as he pulled his arm away and the OU player went down. I think it was a good call by the refs. It was on Bama's last drive of the first half that included a mess of mistakes by Bama including the bogus call by the refs for the illegal formation. The drive resulted in a field goal after all the junk.
Looking at that again, that was totally bogus. He was within the rule...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

SIAP - but why did RD take his helmet off? Was he tackled? Saw the play but I was watching Murray and I just assumed that was the case.
He doesn’t have a high tolerance level for opposing players cheating (Mizzou game) or playing dirty. Refs floundering around with blindfolds on doesn’t help.

This is what gets my blood boiling. They call a player for taking his helmet off but don't call the player from the other team for jumping on a guy and punching him after the sack. One is exponentially worse than the other.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006

What point of the game was it? I want to rewatch too.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama

I saw on SEC Nation that RD said he took his helmet off because he thought the flag was on him. I don’t remember a flag being thrown before he took his helmet off, but either way, he shouldn’t have done it. The officiating was crap all game, however. I mean you call a backwards pass that’s ruled a TD that has to be reviewed when it’s 2 yards in front of the LOS.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.